I have Windows XP installed on a 40GB hard drive with the NTFS file system.
As I have now run out of space I am going to purchase a 200GB hard drive.
Since I have a lot of personal files making up the majority of my used 39ish
GB's, I don't really want to move these to disks etc. I know nothing about
installing hardware etc. so bear with me.

Basically, I thought I could make the current 40GB hard drive a 'slave' and
install the new 200GB hard drive as the master. Could I then set up Windows
XP on the new hard drive and then just transfer my files across in Windows
explorer? Is this possible? Will I have to do anything to the old hard drive
apart from changing that jumper?

Also, since I will be using the same copy of Windows XP, will this pose any
kind of problem? Once all my files are transfered from the old hard drive to
the new hard drive, I will reformat the old hard drive. Will this cause any
problems? I am thinking about the two different installations of Windows XP,
I don't want to reformat the old hard drive if somehow important Windows
files are still linked to the old hard drive that will end up stuffing up
the new installation.

Am I going about this the right way? In the end I want to move my personal
files from the old hard drive to the new hard drive and then use the old
40GB hard drive for backups and archiving (the new one is actually faster).
Is there an easier way? Can you point me to any related resources?

Thanks!

Matthew Shaw

dl

Install new drive as slave, uninstall apps and custom install to new drive,
simply copy data files to new drive
Unless of course you really want only one hd