Question New laptop causes all wireless devices to disconnect from internet

Yooori

Reputable
Nov 11, 2016
Yesterday I got my new gaming laptop - ASUS TUF A15 - and after I set Windows 10 up and connected to my internet through WiFi, my internet dropped for all wireless devices. At first I thought it was an internet outage but then when I awoke the laptop from sleep mode later on in the night, the exact same thing happened. Any devices such as my TV or my desktop connected to my gateway through Ethernet did not drop connection at all. Today, the same thing happened when I powered the laptop on.

I did some searching and some people said to try disabling OneDrive, which I did and that did not work. I also went into Network Connections, right clicked and hit diagnose, which it said it fixed an issue with the network adapter, but I still ran into the same issue. I have not run into any internet issues as of the past 3 hours, but I also have not let my laptop idle for too long, go into sleep mode and woken up or turned it off and powered back on. It seems the issue stems from whenever the device powers on or reconnects to the internet that is causes other wireless devices to lose connection, which doesn't make sense to me because I've had other laptops in the past that never ran into this issue.

I'm on Cox with Gigablast, using their Technicolor CGM4141 gateway and I have my laptop connected through the 5GHz.

Is there any other fix I can look into because it does get a little annoying have other stuff in the house disconnect whenever my laptop connects to the internet?

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to see if the same issue happens on another router/wireless device(at your friend's or neighbors) since this might indicate that your router doesn't like the new device. There's also the matter about seeing if the router you have is capable of receiving a firmware update(or if you void your warranty and/or your connection with the ISP, if tampered with) which is why you should involve the ISP in the matter as well.

Make sure your laptop is on the latest BIOS update(if there are any pending) and that your wireless drivers are also up to date. Which version of Windows 10 are you on?

DLarva

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I have a similar problem. I even took the laptop that was causing this back (HP Pavilion x360 (14-cd2053cl)) and got a different one (Acer Spin 3 (N19W2)). That one is causing the same issue. Both of them had Intel WiFi 6 AX201 160Mhz network adapters. Does yours?

Yooori

Reputable
Nov 11, 2016
You might want to see if the same issue happens on another router/wireless device(at your friend's or neighbors) since this might indicate that your router doesn't like the new device. There's also the matter about seeing if the router you have is capable of receiving a firmware update(or if you void your warranty and/or your connection with the ISP, if tampered with) which is why you should involve the ISP in the matter as well.

Make sure your laptop is on the latest BIOS update(if there are any pending) and that your wireless drivers are also up to date. Which version of Windows 10 are you on?

Another user on Reddit had mentioned they're having the same issue with the exact same laptop I'm using. I'll try to get around to taking mine to another place where I can try a wireless connection to see if it shuts down wireless on those as well, because then I would at least know that it seems to be the laptop brand in general with the issue and not something special for my laptop specifically.

Edit: I am on Windows 10 version 2004.

I didn't have any pending updates for BIOS or any LAN/network drivers, but when I get the chance I'll look on ASUS's driver website to see if there is an update ready for BIOS that just didn't show when I installed all my settings onto the laptop.

Last edited:

Yooori

Reputable
Nov 11, 2016
I have a similar problem. I even took the laptop that was causing this back (HP Pavilion x360 (14-cd2053cl)) and got a different one (Acer Spin 3 (N19W2)). That one is causing the same issue. Both of them had Intel WiFi 6 AX201 160Mhz network adapters. Does yours?

I'm not too sure of the exact network card it is using, but on the spec sheet for it, it mentions Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac); Dual-Band (2.4 & 5 GHz)