Question New laptop, low CPU & GPU usage and low performance

Oct 3, 2020
Hey there. I recently got a new Dell G3 laptop and received it less than a week ago. I'll be honest I know almost nothing about computers, but my friends who do haven't been able to help me. I've been playing Rainbow six siege and on the first day I was getting 200 FPS, second day I was getting 150 FPS, third day I was barely scratching 60. Now it's been a couple days and I've been bouncing between a high of 150 FPS, to a low of 30. I have no clue what to do and I'd like to avoid returning the laptop. Any help is appreciated and I'll provide whatever info I can but as I said I'm not knowledgeable at all. Also let me know if I leave any important specs out below. Thanks. (Also I've been running rainbow on benchmark settings.)

Intel Core i7-9750H

512 GB SSD

16GB RAM

NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti

Oct 2, 2020
Not sure what your problem could be without more information, but laptops NEED to be plugged in for performance, they'll throttle themselves on battery power. If you could give temperatures while at idle and during gameplay, that will help people know more about your situation.

Oct 3, 2020
Not sure what your problem could be without more information, but laptops NEED to be plugged in for performance, they'll throttle themselves on battery power. If you could give temperatures while at idle and during gameplay, that will help people know more about your situation.

All the tests have been while plugged in and high performance/gaming mode on. I'm usually between 70-80 degrees with the fans relatively quiet.