Question New motherboards keep getting burned ?

Jun 5, 2023
I bought a Asus rog strix B550-f a few weeks back and was using it with a ryzen 5 2600 it worked fine for a few days put then the next day i turn my pc back on there came a little smoke from under the cpu cooler so the motherboard died,i took my old board b450 gaming plus put my ryzen 5 in there and every thing works fine i called the store and explained everything he said you are using an ryzen 5 2600 on a 5000 gen motherboard, so i ordered a new ryzen 7 5800x and a new B550-f motherboard worked fine for a few weeks and now again motherboard burned again and its dead. I don’t get it how is this possible, is my psu maybe bad? Is a few months old its a EVGA 850 BQ, 80+ BRONZE 850W PSU. Is it maybe because i use psu extension cables, i dont know

Specs
Ryzen 7 5800x
B550-f gaming asus
Corsair 8 GB DDR4-3200 Kit 4x
RTX 2070 8GB
EVGA 850 BQ, 80+ BRONZE 850W PSU
M.2 ssd samsung 2x

A Ryzen 2600 will work perfectly fine on a B550-F motherboard so that was definitely not the cause of the processor burning. As rare as it is for any processor to burn up like that, for two to do it on two separate boards is simply astronomical statistically speaking. It sounds like you are doing something basically wrong when mounting your CPU and heat-sink.

What thermal compound are you using? Is it by any chance "liquid metal" type? They are electrically conductive and if not applied extremely carefully could lead to problems like that.

Reactions: Zerk2012
Jun 5, 2023
A Ryzen 2600 will work perfectly fine on a B550-F motherboard so that was definitely not the cause of the processor burning. As rare as it is for any processor to burn up like that, for two to do it on two separate boards is simply astronomical statistically speaking. It sounds like you are doing something basically wrong when mounting your CPU and heat-sink.

What thermal compound are you using? Is it by any chance "liquid metal" type? They are electrically conductive and if not applied extremely carefully could lead to problems like that.
Its not the cpu that's getting burned, its the motherboard.

Its not the cpu that's getting burned, its the motherboard.
Same difference...two motherboards burning up in a row, in the same way with two different CPU's installed. It's just not something that happens.

Double check your CPU installation practices. And conductive thermal compound (if used) working it's way into the CPU socket contacts will still cause problems exactly like you describe.

D

Deleted member 2947362

Test PSU using a multi meter, test the 4+4 pin plugs the ones that plug in the motherboard to power CPU by placing the multi meter probes in to the top of the plugs while system is powered on you will need to research what the correct voltages should read, because it could be the PSU is faulty and spiking too much power,
Test the other voltages for all other cables that plug into the motherboard as well.

D

Deleted member 2947362

No i bought the extension from coolermaster
It shouldn't really make any difference really as long as they are good quality and the correct gauge wire and not getting hot.

But it definitely sounds like it's something to do with the PSU overvolting something.

OR

The new motherboard is shorting out on something in the case and over time it burns out.

D

Deleted member 2947362

when you replace the motherboard you did you check to see if any other brass stand-offs that you screw the motherboard to are not left from old motherboard and shorting out the new motherboard?

D

Deleted member 2947362

Can it be that a poor fan can destroy the mobo?
doubt it the system would thermally shut down the PC if things got that hot in the case due to venting or if the CPU was major over heating you would notice that because the performance would drop considerably before anything else happens

Only things I can think of that might be the causing the problem is something in the case shorting out the motherboard somewhere.
Or
The PSU has some kind of issue.

Other than that, I can't think what else would/could cause the same issue that has happened twice.

Jun 7, 2023
doubt it the system would thermally shut down the PC if things got that hot in the case due to venting or if the CPU was major over heating you would notice that because the performance would drop considerably before anything else happens

Only things I can think of that might be the causing the problem is something in the case shorting out the motherboard somewhere.
Or
The PSU has some kind of issue.

Other than that, I can't think what else would/could cause the same issue that has happened twice.
I do not understand.
yesterday night we were looking what the problem was i looked in the book that you get when you buy the motherboard and it said that it can only handle 3ge but on the box of the motherboard i saw a sticker with 5ge and 3ge.

(the 3ge was not stickered only the 5ge was stickered which you could remove)

the psu has no problem we sent it back.
they tested it and said there was no problem.
can it really not be the motherboard??

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
When the motherboard came out 5th gen didn't exist and it is cheaper to stick a sticker on the box than edit and reprint the manuals. A BIOS update is all that is required to enable 5th gen.

The reason people are not thinking it is the motherboard is that 2 motherboards have now experienced the same failure. This leads us to believe that some other component or possible short is causing the problem. It could also be installation error.

What cooler are you using out of interest?

D

Deleted member 2947362

well if you say the PSU has been tested by a qualified company/person and they say it's is fine then it only leave the case possibly shorting the motherboard somewhere and the motherboard it's self.

But if it's happened twice to the same model and brand motherboard without hands on inspection it will hard to know what is going on without the parts in front of you.

you've lost me with the 3ge and 5ge ?

what do you mean 3ge 5ge?

D

Deleted member 2947362

When the motherboard came out 5th gen didn't exist and it is cheaper to stick a sticker on the box than edit and reprint the manuals. A BIOS update is all that is required to enable 5th gen.

The reason people are not thinking it is the motherboard is that 2 motherboards have now experienced the same failure. This leads us to believe that some other component or possible short is causing the problem. It could also be installation error.

oh they means GEN lol i was like ok what is this 3ge 5ge ?

yup that make total sense to me

Jun 5, 2023

Cooler Master Masterliquid Ml240R​

Jun 5, 2023
well if you say the PSU has been tested by a qualified company/person and they say it's is fine then it only leave the case possibly shorting the motherboard somewhere and the motherboard it's self.

But if it's happened twice to the same model and brand motherboard without hands on inspection it will hard to know what is going on without the parts in front of you.

you've lost me with the 3ge and 5ge ?

what do you mean 3ge 5ge?
He means 3gen and 5th gen cpu

D

Deleted member 2947362

let's just say something that's really doubtful and extreme.

They had a dodgy fan and the fans magnetic electric coil was damaged for some unknow reason causing the coil to act more like a massive resistor, I don't know for a fact but even then the worst that may happen is the fan header would fail? surly they are protected against shorting out? but I don't know for a fact

I say this because they asked could a dodgy fan cause the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 5, 2023
let's just say something that's really doubtful and extreme.

They had a dodgy fan and the fans magnetic electric coil was damaged for some unknow reason causing the coil to act more like a massive resistor, I don't know for a fact but even then the worst that may happen is the fan header would fail? surly they are protected against shorting out? but I don't now for a fact

I say this because they asked could a dodgy fan cause the issue.
Today im gonna rebuild my pc again with a new psu and same mobo but new one what do you recommend me to do?

D

Deleted member 2947362

Today im gonna rebuild my pc again with a new psu and same mobo but new one what do you recommend me to do?
Follow the manual carefully double check the mounting points where you screw the motherboard to the case to make sure they are all in the correct places and none left that could short out the motherboard.