New Nvidia Drivers 295.73 Improve Performance in Skyrim

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jurassic512

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
[citation][nom]KT_WASP[/nom]Are those 3rd party results (ie Tom's own) or are those results published by Nvidia?[/citation]

This is your first time seeing an nVIDIA GeForce driver performance slide? Wow. I would of thought the green and black theme would of been a dead giveaway regardless.

*shrugs*

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I'm happy that my video card isn't intermittently crashing/losing signal with my monitor everytime I'm on Firefox. That was a problem with one of the more recent NVIDIA drivers.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Please rename this driver into 295.73 skyrim edition, as it doesnt really help on other games other than breaking it. Yes BF3 still have prob with this.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Devoteicon[/nom]More than likely they are from Nvidia judging by the choice of colors (black and green).[/citation]
Yes, those are from Nvidia. I've looked at their charts before, exactly the same colour scheme and layout.

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
It's just amazing how much better Skyrim runs now on my Phenom II+GTX460 than it did at launch. My lowest FPS in Whiterun used to be 19 FPS. Now it's 33 FPS, even with the high-res texture pack installed and Performance Ambient Occlusion enabled. This is is in "Ultra" mode but with FXAA instead of "real" FSAA.

VSYNC@60FPS?

It's probably a coincidence, but it almost looks like the "bottleneck" isn't the CPU but rather VSYNC being enabled forcing a maximum of about 60FPS.

Since it probably IS the CPU, there are two possible ways to get around this bottleneck:

#1) improve multi-threading (if all the threads aren't fully utilized), and/or,

#2) rewrite some code to be run on the graphics card instead of the CPU.

*I suspect we'll continue to see periodic optimizations for both the CPU and Graphics card.

**For those building a new Gaming PC with enough money, you may wish to see what components (i.e. CPU and Graphics Card mainly) can run this game maxed-out at over 60FPS (to get VSYNC working at 60FPS).

Keep in mind, many people dislike SLI and Crossfire due to the Micro-stutter and other issues.

For the graphics card, maybe an HD7970 or GTX680?? (when the GTX680 comes out)

Sapphire HD7950 OC version:

I was SHOCKED when an official testing source OVERCLOCKED this card successfully by 45% using nothing but the stock cooling. (I can't reliably overclock my HD5870 by even 5%).

This card is definitely on my list, although I'm waiting for the new NVIDIA cards until I decide on a new card.

*This card has a dual-BIOS, and the price of this card is quite reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.