Question New nvme m.2 (won’t boot os)

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 22, 2023
Pc
Ryzen 5 3600x
Sapphire 5700xt nitro +
32gb ddr4 3600mghz ram
WD nvme 250gb for OS
4gb HDD
Rm750x
Asus b450f gaming motherboard

I am trying to install a second m.2 to the second slot on my motherboard. When it’s installed the pc won’t boot windows. When I take the NEW drive out my pc boots up fine. I’ve tried switching the SATA cable from my HDD to other positions and still same result. Is it possible to run another nvme with my setup? If so please tell me how I can fix this issue and if not any recommendations on how to upgrade storage?

Btw I’m not trying to change the OS. I’m just trying to add more storage for games.

Thanks!

Try system restore (from advanced recovery options).
In this screen choose System Restore.

HkDr0c0l.jpg

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah, you said to read the link and to read it again. I’m sure I can find it in there, but thought I’d ask if I can buy the key after I go through the process of installing windows on my new nvme. Figured asking would be quicker
My comment regarding the license key.

"Assuming it was a valid license, and the system was fully activated....a fresh install on this new drive will simply activate itself when it goes online later."

Reactions: Dr_Witty
Oct 22, 2023
This is what happens why you're trying to fix too many things at once.

Either a fresh install on the new NVMe, or try to "fix" the OS on the 250GB.

One or the other, not both.
The OS on the 250gb drive is working it’s just when I add the new it drive the os doesn’t boot.

So I’ve been trying to do things like move the SATA chord, or boot options and if I can’t get anything to work I’m going to do it the other way ( re installing windows)
I’m not doing them both at the same time