[SOLVED] New PC shuts itself down randomly (Kernel-power 41). What's the problem?

Jan 17, 2021
Hi everyone. Firstly I apologise if I've posted this in the wrong area. I'm experiencing a power issue and a friend of mine suggested that it might be an issue with my power supply.

My Gaming PC is around two months old. Over the past few weeks the PC has shut itself down on a number of occasions.

The first time was a few weeks ago, while gaming, the PC froze and shut itself down after a minute or so. I did not see a blue screen of death, the PC just eventually powered off with no error codes displayed. I checked event viewer after the crash and found a critical error with the source, event ID and task category "kernel-power, 41, (63)". A BugCheckCode of 307 was also stated (screenshot 1, screenshot 2).

Following the first crash, i did not notice any further shutdowns until a couple of days ago. The next shutdown occurred when i was away from my computer. I left the PC on with an old 2d game running (i would not consider this to be under load) and when I returned, the PC was off. Again, event viewer showed the same critical error ("kernel-power, 41, (63)"), however, this time the BugCheckCode was 160 (screenshot 1, screenshot 2). Less than an hour later the PC shut itself down again, while i was away from the computer. The same error codes as the previous crash were shown.

Is anyone able to help me diagnose the problem? As the PC is relatively new, I'd like to find any hardware problems sooner rather than later, so that i can try to get the parts replaced.

@Colif @gardenman - I was reading a similar thread earlier, in which you both seemed very helpful. I hope you don't mind me asking you directly but is this something you can help with? I'm happy to provide minidumps, as requested in the other thread.

My PC specs are:

MSI B550 gaming edge wifi motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 5600x CPU
MSI Gaming X TRIO - Nvidia RTX 3080 GPU
2x8GB Crucial Ballistix RGB CL16 3200MHz
1x500gb gen 4 nvme SSD
1x 1TB HDD
Corsair RM750x PSU

I've applied no manual overclocks, with the exception of enabling the XMP profile on my RAM. I have tried running memtest overnight and received no errors.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Solution
Those are from before the other ones, and just point at Nvidia so have you had any since running DDU?

if not, it may have fixed errors. Hard to say as there is a 1 month gap between the 29th of Nov & 22 December, and then the 15th Jan... so it might be too soon to know for sure.

if it keeps up, you might look in reliability history and see if any errors in there coinciding with the crashes that might be related.

Colif

Win 11 Master
event 41 is a reaction, not a cause. Windows runs a report at every start up and if it finds it wasn't shutdown previously it creates event 41(63). I see two bugchecks but I don't have any way of telling cause just from them.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
  • copy that file to documents
  • upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site,
  • and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem
if its this one I will have to ask, what.... https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi.../bug-check-0x160--win32k-atomic-check-failure but it may not be. the codes that show in there may not match the codes found on BSOD. Windows likes to be confusing. I haven't seen that bsod before but there are something like 360 codes and I mostly only ever see 20 of them. See what dump files show.

Jan 17, 2021
Thanks for the quick reply Colif!

I've followed the steps to setup small memory dumps. There were already files in the minidump folder, which correspond with the dates of the crashes (there were also a few more). I have uploaded the files that correspond with the date of the crashes: 1st crash, 2nd crash, 3rd crash.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/2qykecdv/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:011621-6656-01.dmp (Jan 15 2021 - 20:59:43)
Bugcheck:INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR (A0)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 23 Min(s), and 32 Sec(s)

File information:011521-6640-01.dmp (Jan 15 2021 - 15:33:56)
Uptime:2 Day(s), 4 Hour(s), 02 Min(s), and 32 Sec(s)

File information:122220-8718-01.dmp (Dec 22 2020 - 17:46:59)
Bugcheck:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Uptime:11 Day(s), 9 Hour(s), 41 Min(s), and 42 Sec(s)
Comment: This is the first time I've seen this "Mouse Overclocking" driver hidusbf.sys.

Comment: The overclocking driver "NTIOLib_X64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner or other MSI software)

The nvlddmkm.sys file is a NVIDIA graphics card driver. There are a few things you can do to fix this problem. First off, try a full uninstall using DDU in Safe Mode then re-install the driver (more information). Or try getting the latest version of the driver. Or try one of the 3 most recent drivers released by NVIDIA. Drivers can be found here: http://www.nvidia.com/ or you can allow Windows Update to download the driver for you, which might be a older/better version.

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-B550-GAMING-EDGE-WIFI
You have the latest stable BIOS already installed.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Jan 17, 2021
Thanks for the responses everyone!

please don't download driver easy, 3rd party driver updaters can make it worse, not better.

fix the nvidia drivers, see if that is all you need.

Ok, I'll try removing the GPU driver using DDU and then installing the latest driver from Nvidia. Is there any kind of test I can run once I've completed this, to verify the fix? The crashes are infrequent, so it would be difficult to tell if this has solved the problem otherwise (i have been using the pc for the past two days with no issues, following the two crashes on the night of the 15th Jan).

Jan 17, 2021
File information:011621-6656-01.dmp (Jan 15 2021 - 20:59:43)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 23 Min(s), and 32 Sec(s)

File information:011521-6640-01.dmp (Jan 15 2021 - 15:33:56)
Uptime:2 Day(s), 4 Hour(s), 02 Min(s), and 32 Sec(s)

File information:122220-8718-01.dmp (Dec 22 2020 - 17:46:59)
Bugcheck:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
Uptime:11 Day(s), 9 Hour(s), 41 Min(s), and 42 Sec(s)
Comment: This is the first time I've seen this "Mouse Overclocking" driver hidusbf.sys.

Comment: The overclocking driver "NTIOLib_X64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner or other MSI software)

I'm afraid this doesn't mean much to me but i understand that it was for the benefit of others, with more technical knowledge than I have. I have a couple of questions out of curiosity though. Firstly, i noticed that the Nvidia driver is only referenced in the error from dec-22. Does this mean the other two errors are unrelated? Secondly, what's the significance of the other drivers mentioned (mouse overclocking and msi software)?

gardenman

Splendid
For the mouse overclocking driver, it's the first time I've seen/heard of it. I've looked at 1000's of dumps on here. Overclocking software/drivers can cause BSODs. It's unlikely this driver is really a true "overclocking" driver though.

As stated in the previous paragraph, overclocking and overclocking drivers can cause BSODs which is why I mentioned the MSI "NTIOLib_X64.sys" driver. It's more or less to let others know that you have overclocking software on your system. Most of the time it's not the issue.

BSODs can be caused by multiple issues on a PC. A bad GPU driver can be cause some BSODs (NVIDIA). Yet a bad overclock can cause different BSODs on the same system. It just depends on what is loaded first and how the PC is used.

It's actually a rare case in which a dump shows the exact cause. Usually if you have 5 or more dumps all pointing at the same driver right in a row, then that's the issue. Otherwise, it's a mystery to be solved. One which we haven't solved... yet.

Follow the instructions given by others and hopefully we'll eventually figure it out. There's usually not an instant answer.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Hidusbf.sys with description USB Mouse Rate Adjuster Lower Filter is a driver file from company SweetLow belonging to product USB Mouse Rate Adjuster.

i expect it probably just changes the polling rate - yep - https://www.ingeniumweb.com/blog/post/how-to-overclock-a-mouse/3742/

what mouse are you using? software could conflict with Microsoft drivers, depends on what driver assigned to mouse. I see Steelseries Engine and Logitech, either could be mouse (or something else since they launchers for drivers)

Its also possible its not a problem, we just look at drivers we haven't seen before to see what they linked to... for future reference :)

you lucky it mentioned driver on 3rd crash, it often takes more time to figure out cause.

Jan 17, 2021
Hidusbf.sys with description USB Mouse Rate Adjuster Lower Filter is a driver file from company SweetLow belonging to product USB Mouse Rate Adjuster.

i expect it probably just changes the polling rate - yep - https://www.ingeniumweb.com/blog/post/how-to-overclock-a-mouse/3742/

what mouse are you using? software could conflict with Microsoft drivers, depends on what driver assigned to mouse. I see Steelseries Engine and Logitech, either could be mouse (or something else since they launchers for drivers)

Its also possible its not a problem, we just look at drivers we haven't seen before to see what they linked to... for future reference :)

you lucky it mentioned driver on 3rd crash, it often takes more time to figure out cause.

You're correct, its software that I use to increase the polling rate. I don't use it for a mouse though, i use it for an xbox controller (previously an official xbox one controller and now a razer wolverine controller).

As for my mouse and keyboard, i have a Steelseries rival 600 mouse and a Logitech g815 keyboard. These are connected through a KM switcher, as i use these peripherals with another computer. This might be totally unrelated but this morning i had issues with my mouse and keyboard, when i hit the KM switch to use them on my gaming PC (the one relevant to this thread), windows repeated the "device connected sound" several times and the RGB lighting on the mouse was pulsing (the RGB on the keyboard remained off). I hit the KM switch again to test them on my work laptop and they worked fine. I tried once more with my gaming PC and the same thing happened. Following this, i changed the USB port that the KM switch was connected to and it now works fine. I'm not sure if this is related at all but as you were asking about my mouse and keyboard, i thought i may as well mention it just in case.

Oh and in case anyone is interested, the MSI overclocking software is likely to be related to Dragon Centre. I don't have afterburner, or any other MSI software installed on my PC. I just use Dragon Centre to control my RGB lighting and monitor my temps, I've never used it for overclocking.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i have that mouse.

So keyboard didn't light up both times, was it showing any lights to show it was at all powered? how old is keyboard? MY G910 never showed any RGB until I was logged into windows so there is that. rival 600 turns on if I bump it at night

it might be nothing but USB is linked to PCI so it can cause GPU drivers to stop working. Not sure it would cause a BSOD, I just know they can cause GPU drivers to stop responding. My previous Steelseries Sensei mouse did that exact same thing.

I see that MSI program and an MSI motherboard and I assume its part of Live update or Dragon Centre now. Gardenmans program just auto highlights the files it they are there.

Anymore BSOD show us the dumps.

Jan 17, 2021
So keyboard didn't light up both times, was it showing any lights to show it was at all powered? how old is keyboard?
I forgot to mention that neither the mouse or the keyboard functioned while in this state, it wasn't just an issue with the RGB lighting. There was no other light on the keyboard to show it was powered. The keyboard is less than two months old.

Anymore BSOD show us the dumps.
As i mentioned before, there were some other dumps in the minidump folder, besides the ones that corresponded with the crashes that i mentioned. I've uploaded these here and here, in case they're relevant. The date on these dumps are about a month before i noticed any crashes, and only a week or so after i actually built the PC.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/32rqmwaz/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:112920-8281-01.dmp (Nov 29 2020 - 05:48:09)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: MSI.CentralServer.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 22 Hour(s), 33 Min(s), and 28 Sec(s)

File information:112920-5984-01.dmp (Nov 29 2020 - 12:07:06)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: MSI.CentralServer.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 6 Hour(s), 18 Min(s), and 32 Sec(s)
This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Those are from before the other ones, and just point at Nvidia so have you had any since running DDU?

if not, it may have fixed errors. Hard to say as there is a 1 month gap between the 29th of Nov & 22 December, and then the 15th Jan... so it might be too soon to know for sure.

if it keeps up, you might look in reliability history and see if any errors in there coinciding with the crashes that might be related.

Solution
Jan 17, 2021
No crashes since running DDU but, as you've said, they were infrequent so its probably too soon to know if its fixed. I'll keep you posted if there are any further crashes.

How do i check the reliability history?

Also, is there any chance that this problem is hardware related, or are you fairly confident that its a driver issue? As the PC is relatively new, i may still be able to get hardware replaced/repaired but this may be more difficult if the diagnosis happens months from now.

Colif

Win 11 Master
open search & type in reliability history
open app

if you don't get any more BSOD, then it could have just been the GPU drivers since it showed in 3 out of 5 BSOD.

not sure I would replace anything without knowing if it is a problem or not. I have seen people replace almost everything in PC and you are left having to say its obviously the parts they didn't swap. Blind replacing can get you no where.