New PSU (£)

lindley010

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
The other week i purchased a XFX HD 5770 1gb to replace my outdated 9500GT 1gb, shortly afterwards i realised the piece of crap psu i bought a couple years ago probably couldn't handle this. I updated for games Starcraft II and a few other future releases, however ive stopped playing games as i don't want to run the risk of overloading the psu.

I need a new psu to power the below specs;

Q6600 (probably upgrade this to a AMD x4 or a i5 in the near-future)
XFX HD 5770 1gb
2-3 HDD's

Now i still don't have much cash available due to christmas coming up. Im willing to spend around £50, however lower is better. The psu must have a 6pin power cable and at least 2 SATA power cables.

Links to £££ sites only thanks :)

Here are the official ATI power supply requirements for the ATI Radeon HD 5770 and 5750 video cards:

450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75 watt, 6-pin PCI Express® power connector recommended

600 Watt or greater power supply with two 75 watt, 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode

The recommendations are for an entire pc system.

More than one country has currency in pounds. Which country are you in? Do you have a link to an online vendor in your country?

lindley010

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
GBP.

I usually buy from ebuyer.co.uk, i bought the xfx hd 5770 from scan.co.uk, however im hesitant from buying from scan.co.uk as they have some awful reviews on their returns. But as long as the product works okay it should be fine.

Mousemonkey, would the 400watt be enough for the 5770 and either a i5 or a amd x4 processor?

5770 uses 120 absolute max but yeah its like 80 watts while gaming

the corsair is a great option but i'd look for something in the 550-600 range if you want to run crossfirX in future

Under a gaming load it'll use about 80w, using something like Furmark to stress it out as far as it will go will require less than 110w
crysis_power.png

occt_power.png

Build your intended rig into this:
http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/
and it will show you recommended psu needs, another option is go onto:
http://www.yougamers.com/gameometer/10213/
select SC2 and see how your system rates for that game
although the second one is based on your current set up obviously you can see where if anywhere your lacking.
Moto

lindley010

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
Yeah i was just looking at that one from ebuyer. I think im going to purchase it from there, as it comes to around £43, which is only slightly more expensive than scan.co.uk, and i trust ebuyer a lot more :)