[SOLVED] New PSU also failing?

SoulRyder89

Reputable
Mar 13, 2017
Hi all,

I recently had some issues that seemed to be related to my PSU. I couldnt find any other suspicious problems such as overheating or failing memory or CPU.

The problem was that my PC would randomly get a black screen and kind of shut down. But the computer and fans would still be running. As if it turned into sleep mode. But it is not possible to wake it up without shutting it down. The power button and reset button wouldnt respond.

One thing that helped briefly was to connect the CPU to a different power cable on the PSU. As I had 2 cpu cables but only one that needed to be connected.

Removing my GPU or removing certain memory cards wouldn't help either. So to me it seemed like a failing PSU. The PSU was also about 5 years old so that seemed pretty logical that it could start failing.

I bought a new PSU and it has been running really well for about a month now with no issues. Until yesterday and today. The same thing happening again, although not as often as before. I am also sure I have enough watt on the power supply I should have at least 580 for my specs but this power supply is 650.

Today after starting the pc back up I noticed a warning "Power supply surges detected" I read that some ASUS motherboard could turn off the PC on a false positive power surge. And for some people it helped to turn of the anti-surge in the BIOS. I did that, but after that the problem still happened a couple of hours later.

My specs are:

AMD FX-8350 cooled by a Scythe Mugen
ASUS M5A78L/USB3 motherboard
MSI NVidia GTX 770 2GB
16 GB DDR3 Ram
Cooler master MWE 650 White

My previous PSU was a Seasonic MI2 SS-620GM

Does anyone know if there might be another cause for this issue? Could a brand new PSU be failing the same way? Might it be an external problem, for example with the wall socket or something?

Thanks for any ideas or tips!

Solution
Hi all,

I recently had some issues that seemed to be related to my PSU. I couldnt find any other suspicious problems such as overheating or failing memory or CPU.

The problem was that my PC would randomly get a black screen and kind of shut down. But the computer and fans would still be running. As if it turned into sleep mode. But it is not possible to wake it up without shutting it down. The power button and reset button wouldnt respond.

One thing that helped briefly was to connect the CPU to a different power cable on the PSU. As I had 2 cpu cables but only one that needed to be connected.

Removing my GPU or removing certain memory cards wouldn't help either. So to me it seemed like a failing PSU. The PSU was also about 5...
Hi all,

Removing my GPU or removing certain memory cards wouldn't help either. So to me it seemed like a failing PSU. The PSU was also about 5 years old so that seemed pretty logical that it could start failing.

I bought a new PSU and it has been running really well for about a month now with no issues. Until yesterday and today. The same thing happening again, although not as often as before. I am also sure I have enough watt on the power supply I should have at least 580 for my specs but this power supply is 650.

Today after starting the pc back up I noticed a warning "Power supply surges detected" I read that some ASUS motherboard could turn off the PC on a false positive power surge. And for some people it helped to turn of the anti-surge in the BIOS. I did that, but after that the problem still happened a couple of hours later.

My specs are:

AMD FX-8350 cooled by a Scythe Mugen
ASUS M5A78L/USB3 motherboard
MSI NVidia GTX 770 2GB
16 GB DDR3 Ram
Cooler master MWE 650 White

My previous PSU was a Seasonic MI2 SS-620GM

Does anyone know if there might be another cause for this issue? Could a brand new PSU be failing the same way? Might it be an external problem, for example with the wall socket or something?

Thanks for any ideas or tips!

Yeah. That's not a power supply problem. More like a motherboard problem.

Solution