brianbsantacruz

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Hi All,

Building my first rig. I have been having trouble powering up, and so have distilled down to the basics:

+ ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen 3 MoBo
+ 1 stick of Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB memory (tried all 4 sticks in different slots)
+ Monitor Connected (tried DVI and VGA connection)
+ Speaker
+ CPU
+ 8 pin and 24 pin power

When I try to powere up, my CPU LED blinks briefly, then the DRAM LED blinks once or twice, then they blink back and forth a little bit, then the system dies (no POST). A second or so later, it does this again, on to infinity...

I have tried several things to find the root of the problem:

+ Tried no RAM (got a beep code from the computer for "no RAM")
+ Tried different sticks of RAM in different slots with different configs (ie 8 vs 16 vs 32 GB), as mentioned above
+ Tried a friend's stick of RAM (forget specs, but on the ASUS AVL for the MoBo)

Probably other things I'm forgetting. I've tried pretty much every combination possible.

If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears...

Probably should mention that I've also received 3 MoBos from Amazon (and tried 2 of them, as the 1st one had a bent pin). It could be a MoBo issue, but I have trouble believing ASUS's QC is THAT bad...

Thanks in advance.

--Brian

Motherboard
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/Gen 3 - BX80637I73770K

Processor
Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155

Memory (part number)
Crucial Ballistix Sport BLS8G3D1609DS1S00.16ER

Video Card # 1
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB 1024 MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 2DVI/Mini-HDMI SLI Ready Limited Lifetime

Hard Drive # 1
SanDisk Extreme SSD 120 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SDSSDX-120G-G25

Hard Drive # 2
WD RE4 2 TB Enterprise Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA II, 64 MB Cache - WD2003FYYS

Optical Drive # 1
LG Electronics 14x SATA Blu-ray Internal Rewriter without Software, Black (WH14NS40)

Case
NZXT Guardian Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Case 921RB-BL

Power Supply
Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply Compatible with Core i3, i5

brianbsantacruz

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Hey, thanks for the response. I have a CPU from that list (I believe... Core i7-3770K (3.5G,L3:8M,iGPU,4C,HT,77W,rev.E1)), and can't get the computer on long enough to see anything on my display. I don't know how I can load or do anything with BIOS when the computer won't stay on for more than a couple seconds?

Please let me know if I'm not understanding. Thanks for the help!

brianbsantacruz

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks again! I found the chip and it looks easy to replace. It upsets me a little that the board wasn't ready to go out of the box...

Any feeling for whether or not this will be a strong fix? Or am I just setting myself up for more problems with this MoBo, and I should consider jumping ship...?

The sticker looks like
Capture003628.jpg

Notice the last 4 digits - 0402 or something like that. It's the BIOS version.
Look for something similar on your board.

brianbsantacruz

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Great! Only problem is I think it will take forever to get here and I'm leaving the country in a week... Have to figure out whether I should return everything and start again in January, or get the new chip and assume everything will be okay...

Thanks again for all your help, Alex.