[SOLVED] New router -> High Ping Spikes

Feb 16, 2019
Hello,
I have a huge problem. 2 weeks ago we changed a router which is way newer, has dual band, etc. Internet had to be more stable, faster, without any ping spikes, but in fact it's even worse. Before I have never experienced ping spikes, I had higher ping, but it was stable. What could I try to set in router? It doesn't do only on my device and playing games is horrible on this Internet. Thanks.

Pinging google.com: View: https://imgur.com/a/GRuUPRN

Solution
You first need to try this on a ethernet connection to see if it is the router or if it is purely a wifi issue.

This is extremely common issue on wifi. It likely is you changed radio frequencies/channels. The routers attempt to pick what they think are the best channels but there really is no way to tell if a neighbors router is there doing nothing or it is using lots of bandwidth. You need to try the standard use 2.4g if you are using 5g or the reverse. You can manually attempt to set the channels used. You can also force the router to use only 20mhz channels which will greatly reduce your top download speed. Games do not care about the speed but other applications will be affected. In the end you want to try to avoid...
You first need to try this on a ethernet connection to see if it is the router or if it is purely a wifi issue.

This is extremely common issue on wifi. It likely is you changed radio frequencies/channels. The routers attempt to pick what they think are the best channels but there really is no way to tell if a neighbors router is there doing nothing or it is using lots of bandwidth. You need to try the standard use 2.4g if you are using 5g or the reverse. You can manually attempt to set the channels used. You can also force the router to use only 20mhz channels which will greatly reduce your top download speed. Games do not care about the speed but other applications will be affected. In the end you want to try to avoid online games on wifi your neighbors could get a new router or change something and you will get issues again even if you get this fixed.

Solution
Feb 16, 2019

This is extremely common issue on wifi. It likely is you changed radio frequencies/channels. The routers attempt to pick what they think are the best channels but there really is no way to tell if a neighbors router is there doing nothing or it is using lots of bandwidth. You need to try the standard use 2.4g if you are using 5g or the reverse. You can manually attempt to set the channels used. You can also force the router to use only 20mhz channels which will greatly reduce your top download speed. Games do not care about the speed but other applications will be affected. In the end you want to try to avoid online games on wifi your neighbors could get a new router or change something and you will get issues again even if you get this fixed.
But it's impossible to connect my PC through Ethernet, because the cable is connected to TV - where is router. So I would have cables along whole house.

It is purely to test. You must look at how much time it will take to move the computer temporarily compared to researching fixes to a router that may not be bad. In the long run you may end up having to run ethernet or use something like powerline networks since wifi problems are mostly caused by interference from outside your house. Still you don't even want to consider spending more money until you know that it is not something like your ISP is now having issue that just happen to occur when you got a new router.