[SOLVED] New RX 6600 rattling-like noise at medium fan speeds

Nov 24, 2022
Finally got a new dGPU after 12 years. MSI Radeon RX 6600 Mech 2X 8GB.

I have noticed this strange rattling-like noise.

First I thought maybe some cable got in there but there were no obstructions. I watched a few coil whine videos and it sounded like none of them, then I saw this video from this question here on these forums and I was hopeful that it was just coil whine. However, the way it was explained in that question and Jayz explanation, coil whine results during high load but I can get this noise with no load by just ramping up the fans. Also, capping FPS or not, still there.

When the fans ramp up (during gaming), the rattling starts at ~2000 RPM, ~50% fan speed. It is not instantaneous, I could be playing for an hour without hearing it and then all of a sudden there it is and if I keep on gaming it will eventually stop as well.

The temperature is consistently ~55 °C and the Junction temperature at ~65 °C when playing games. When not playing I never hear the noise, but the temperatures are under 30 °C at ~1000 RPM.

I can manually raise the fans to 100% ~2800 RPM but by that time the fans are blowing so loudly that it is hard to hear the extra noise.

Here is a link to an AAC audio file, if the original WAV file is needed, I can upload it somewhere.
View: https://on.soundcloud.com/4ZbTj

I really hope it is coil whine...

Solution
So, I have a Define S, but I also have added the full tempered glass side panel to mine. Even so, with either type of side panel on this case you should not be able to hear the fan noise from the graphics card, whether normal noise or otherwise unless it's at least moderately significant.

If you can hear it still, with the side panel on, I'd RMA it. First though you might want to remove the graphics card and check it to make sure the fasteners on the cooler frame are fully seated to the card and that there is nothing obviously loose that could be to blame. Also, that the noise is even for certain coming from the card. Sometimes the vibration of the fans, on graphics cards, CPU coolers and case fans, can set up a vibration that makes...

Did you not like the answers you got there or what?

The bottom line when it comes to graphics card is, if it is making abnormal noises you should RMA the card. Period. Doesn't matter if it's coil whine, badly mounted fans or cooler frame, or anything else so long as it is not something that is installation related due to user error. If it doesn't work right, return it for replacement or RMA it to the manufacturer.

Nov 24, 2022
What do you mean by that question? I asked here before I received answers there. I have seen people ask the same questions in different forums before, is it bad netiquette to do so? I figured it might be best to cast as wide a net as I could before my return window closed on me. I have asked quite a few tech support questions and not received an answer in any of them, probably due to my poor writing skills. I am not blaming anyone for that, it would make no sense to do so, I appreciate that people took a time to read them. I feel like I am trying to defend myself for having done something wrong. If I did do something wrong, I do apologize, I did not mean to ruffle any feathers. If you think I should delete this post I can contact a mod or if you still have your old mod powers you may do so. Again, I meant no harm.

10 years ago, I had heard that coil whine was reason for repair/replacement. However, now when I started researching fan noise, rattling and coil whine people were saying that it was not a valid reason and that manufacturers would not accept it. But thanks to your answer I will go ahead and inquire about it, thanks.

No, nothing wrong with asking questions on multiple forums, it's just that the answers you got there weren't far from what anybody with a bit of knowledge would tell you. Some of them at least.

Anything that is loud enough to make you go "wth is that" when installed in the case and the side panel on, is, arguably, enough to be warrantable. So far as I know, there has never been a watershed moment where manufacturers started saying that abnormally noisy fan behavior or coil whine were no longer warrantable conditions. If I had just bought a card and it was making enough noise for me to be concerned about it, you can bet your sweet niblets that they'd either be replacing it or seeing me in court. Obviously if it's something you can easily fix like you can visually see a fastener is loose or something then it might be simpler to simply fix it yourself but aside from that kind of thing, they don't want people messing with them, so the will usually agree to at least look at it through RMA.

And then if you get the same card back and have to RMA twice, they will generally just replace because it's not worth their money. IF however you just bought this recently, then you should be able to just return it for an exchange from whoever you bought it from if you bought it from a local store or online retailer.

Nov 24, 2022
Oh, well, that is a bit funny, I actually thought that it was rude or inappropriate to do so and deleted my post elsewhere. Well, that's fine no one had replied where I deleted anyway.

I definitely had a "wth is that" moment. Might I ask, if the look at it and deem it to be nothing will I be charged for the RMA?

I bought it 15 days ago, darn, I think I missed my return window by a day or two.

A strange thing (at least to me), I had messaged my reseller to let them know there was an issue. While waiting for a reply, I reinstalled the drivers and now I have been unsuccessful at getting the noise to appear manually. While playing I was able to get it but it was nowhere near as loud, I had to really look for it to hear it.

Are you able to hear it with the side panel on? Out of curiosity, what is your case model?

If you are in the US, most states require retailers to provide up to 30 days for returns, especially if there is a problem. If not, IDK. Other regions have different consumer laws.

Companies don't "charge" for an RMA. What is normally is you pay for shipping to the manufacturer. If the manufacturer has to replace the component or finds anything wrong with it at all, they pay for shipping back to you. If they don't, they may or may not require you to pay for the return shipping. Usually, they will. It depends on the company but that is certainly something you can contact MSI's support people and find out.

Nov 24, 2022
Yes, always with the side panel. Recording is without the side panel, since some phones only want to record certain frequencies.
Case is Fractal Design Define S, supposed to be noise dampening. It sits 2 meters behind and to the left of me. I have 3 speakers, arm's length from me, volume constantly changing. Cannot think of anything else that would determine how loud it would sound.
Prior to yesterday, it was definitely audible with the panel on. As it was louder than the fan. After the software reinstall. I can barely hear with panel. I guess next time I am home, I could remove it and take a listen.

I am in the EU but not from here. I only know of the 14 day return for any reason.

Yeah, sorry, I meant the shipping. Thanks, I'll ask them about it.

So, I have a Define S, but I also have added the full tempered glass side panel to mine. Even so, with either type of side panel on this case you should not be able to hear the fan noise from the graphics card, whether normal noise or otherwise unless it's at least moderately significant.

If you can hear it still, with the side panel on, I'd RMA it. First though you might want to remove the graphics card and check it to make sure the fasteners on the cooler frame are fully seated to the card and that there is nothing obviously loose that could be to blame. Also, that the noise is even for certain coming from the card. Sometimes the vibration of the fans, on graphics cards, CPU coolers and case fans, can set up a vibration that makes OTHER crap make noise.

By the way, I could never listen to your audio clip because at that link it says there is a problem.

Solution
Nov 24, 2022
Oh yeah, forgot to say it was the non-window variant.

Yeah, I can still hear it. Guess it was wishful thinking when I thought I could not hear it.. I am just so constrained financially that I keep hoping against hope that it is not making noise.

I spent quite some time changing the fan curve, so that it would reach 2000 RPM after varied times during gameplay and yeah at exactly 2000 RPM every single time it makes the noise.

I went ahead and removed the card, cannot see or feel anything loose. With my ear next to components it does not come from PSU, CPU, case fans, back of the case, side of the case or front. When I place my ear below the GPU I can hear it coming from there. The only thing I am not sure about is the middle motherboard mount, it was already attached and does not have a place for a screw? Seeing as you coincidentally have the same case can you confirm that I installed my motherboard correctly or was I supposed to remove that bit?
IIaROW5.png

Other than that, I would be willing to bet a large sum of money that if I sandwiched the GPU's front and back together the noise would stop.

Oh, I was afraid of that, I have never used SoundCloud before. I have never uploaded videos to YouTube but here we go.

Link to profile: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjjlsB0h4bOXU3n2yYWRhLg/featured

Audio from earlier: https://youtube.com/shorts/2kBH_K8k3S0

And decided to take a video but I am not good at cinematography so you have been warned. Also, I am not sure what format Google changes the audio to. I can hear the noise with my speakers and headphones but my display's built-in speakers muddies everything together. Also, disregard the cables there, I already checked them and have now moved to a better spot.

I just found this review on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...viewpnt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B09BK8NCPB#RCJ12171I5QK5

"...The one con is when the fans hit 2000+ rpm they start to rattle..."

Looks like Dukesilver27- at LTT was right it is all of them. I really wish, I had inquired about this earlier, I just found the Asus variant of this card at a better Black Friday deal than the MSI one and sale ends today. Well, I'll be in contact with resellers and MSI and see what they say. Thanks so much for all the help!

If there is EVER an installed standoff that does not line up with one of the mounting holes in your motherboard, then you are ALWAYS supposed to remove it. Do so now. Do not leave it that way. That is probably not related to THIS problem, but you are very lucky you haven't burned up anything including your board and CPU, by installing the motherboard with a standoff installed where one shouldn't be. that is likely for a microATX or other form factor board, perhaps an extra for an E-ATX board. Or, it might have been installed by somebody and then case was returned to retailer without removing it.

Why not just return the card and get a refund, then buy something else. Those Mech graphics cards from MSI are really the bottom of the barrel in most cases when it comes to any flavor of GPU.

Nov 24, 2022
Sorry, I am as inarticulate as they come. What I mean is, it is for ATX, mATX and ITX (it is denoted by the A, M, I in the image and I have an ATX motherboard) but the standoff has a nub protruding from it that I could not figure out how to remove without damaging it. The nub is almost the diameter of a motherboard mount hole and fits very well and definitely not under the motherboard. I just meant that the middle standoff does not have a screw because this little nub, is in the way of attaching a screw. I believe I tried a piece of paper/rubber band and some pliers to remove but could not get it off. I have worked on around 30 computers in my life but never seen a standoff with a nub attached to it, so was not sure if I was just supposed to rip/brute force it off and replace it with a regular standoff and screw or if it was fine to leave that standoff with the nub. The image from my previous post is from Fractal Design's website and I have looked at a few reviews on YouTube and they all have the nub, during their unboxing. The videos are too grainy or dark once they have installed their motherboards for me to tell if they removed it or left it.

Here is an image of mine: On the left is the nub and on the right with a screw:
xV9x9Rk.png

Again so sorry for the confusion but thanks so much for taking your time to point that out. I have heard the same thing about frying the board with a standoff under and it is nice to know that you would go out of your way to mention it.

I honestly thought all the AIBs were the same, just that some would overclock more or add more heat pipes. Had no clue that MSI Mech GPUs were bottom of the barrel, they really saw me coming from a mile away. All I wanted was a decent card to play my good old games on. You are right though, I am returning it, first chance I get, there has been way too much effort put into this, just for me to learn they are not worth much.

Thanks for your infinite patience. In the morning I will upvote one of your answers, if you feel one was more deserving than another you can say which one will help others the most. To me it looks like you were just waiting for me to get it through my thick skull that MSI is no good and that a return was in order.

I know exactly what you are talking about and I JUST had to deal with this on a Phanteks Eclipse case I used for a customer build. I not only had the same problem BUT also, there is the consideration that with this extra lip/nub it will make the board forced up in that spot compared to all the other standoffs. I highly recommend you take it out and replace it with another standoff that is the same height as the rest of your standoffs, or take it out and FILE it down. Be aware though that filing it might result in minor edge deformity that makes it hard to screw the screw back into the threads so I recommend that as you are filing it down you periodically stop and run the screw down in and back out just to make sure that it will still screw in by the time you get done.

You could also do this with a very small cutoff wheel on a dremel or on a grinder or the flat surface of a cutoff wheel, but in each case you'll want to be sure you don't end up not being able to screw it back in. If you are not a very handy or mechanical type person it might be best to simply measure the height of the standoff and get an entirely new standoff and screw OR just get a ten dollar standoff kit that comes with a variety of sizes and thread pitches.

Something like this would likely have exactly what you need in it.

https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Motherboard-Standoffs-Graphics-Mounting/dp/B09TW1H1RG

Or if you take one of the other ones that is correct, to any computer repair shop, they will probably just give you one for free just like it if you ask or sell you one for a buck or less.

Nov 24, 2022
Alright finally got my standoffs and got my system up and running again.

Sheesh came in for one issue and found something that was even bigger. I am going to click the trophy icon for another of your posts, since that was what the thread was about, but I just wanted to say thanks so much for the link to the kit and the information about why it was an issue and how to fix it as well as the help with the graphics card. I didn't know the standoff thing was that big of an issue, you really saved my bacon!

Dude. This is what we do and this is why we do it. If I can help one person in five threads to actually identify and fix the problem they are having, that makes me happy. I'm glad you were able to resolve the problem and if you ever have problems in the future you know where to come for help. Plenty of others here besides myself that will help as well. Right on man.