Question New Ryzen 5 5600x not working in B450 Gaming Pro Carbon Max WiFi

Jul 16, 2023
I recently purchased an AMD Ryzen 5 5600x CPU to install in my MSI B450 Ganing Pro Carbon Max WiFi motherboard.

Specs for the pc:
CPU and MB as mentioned
GPU - PNY GTX 1050 ti xlr8
RAM - 16gb Gskill Trident z rgb (2x 8gb)
PSU - Thermaltake Toughpower GX1 500w rgb 80+ gold
SSD - Samsung 980 m.2 1Tb with Windows 10 OS

I already updated the BIOS to one of the newest versions which isn’t in a beta version (currently 7B85v2C0). When I installed the cpu and turned it on, the CPU debug light flashed red on and of a few times very slowly, then the VGA debug light flashed red for a few seconds, and then the boot debug light turned solid red. It pulls up the BIOS but won’t start windows.

Has anyone has this problem before and could anyone provide help?

Last edited:
Solution
I followed all of those steps, when I put the new cpu in, the same issue I had at the start happened. It opened the bios and I checked back and the cpu fTPM was turned back on automatically, so I just saved and exited, making sure the boot drive is on there, and now the boot light is solid red with nothing on screen (if I restart it pulls bios back up)

you can try this to see if this as well see if you can do this i found this from a post from another post

Boot debug light literally means there's no bootable device detected by the system. You could check the BIOS system configuration to see what Windows 10 WHQL Support is set to and try changing it to whatever it isn't to see if it's something simple like that. Also check Boot Mode Select configuration. Windows being installed MBR vs GPT is what these settings can impact.

Jul 16, 2023
Boot debug light literally means there's no bootable device detected by the system. You could check the BIOS system configuration to see what Windows 10 WHQL Support is set to and try changing it to whatever it isn't to see if it's something simple like that. Also check Boot Mode Select configuration. Windows being installed MBR vs GPT is what these settings can impact.
Yeah except when I put the old cpu back in it booted up perfectly fine, so I’m not sure what the issue is, unless it’s because it’s a new cpu, unless I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying.

Yeah except when I put the old cpu back in it booted up perfectly fine, so I’m not sure what the issue is, unless it’s because it’s a new cpu, unless I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying.
While it shouldn't matter it's possible that the settings aren't the same so check the BIOS settings on the working one and make sure they match for the new one too.

What's the old CPU?

Will do, the old CPU is a Ryzen 5 1600
Yeah it really shouldn't make a difference I was thinking maybe something weird with APU model because those run the M.2 slot differently.

You might actually want to check the Trusted Computing section as I don't think the 1600 supported TPM, but the 5600X definitely does. If it's somehow turned on perhaps this could be causing it though I don't really think that should prevent an attempt at booting.

Positive bitlocker is off, and Norton didn’t install anything to lock down my storage, I’m not sure how to check that however.

make sure your bios is up to date

make sure 100 percent that the bitlocker is off I had to disable bitlocker its on regardless if your windows 10 or pro.

in your search box

type in services
under services look for the bitlocker drive encryption service
right click>properties>start up type> disable> apply

this forced bitlocker off.

restart pc go into bios
reset bios back to default.

then go to advanced settings

your looking for the cpus AMD CPU fTPM disable it.

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B85v1.4.pdf
page 55.

once its disabled save the bios.

turn the pc off

replace cpu with new one.

as the pc is booting hit the key to get into bios.

youll get a warning about the ftpm not being on this is normal to me.
turn this back on if the motherboard hasnt already.
check bios if boot drive is visible now.

save bios

and wait

it should boot into windows 10 if the boot drive is visible in your bios.

once in windows turn it back on the encryption and then go back to your bios and add your overclocks etc had previously and save.

i had to go threw this with 2 motherboards

1. gigabyte 2. asrock.

both where b450 motherboards. and have been running fine.

it makes upgrading the motherboards a pain but as long as you remember to turn both off it wont cause issues.

basicly if the old cpus fTPM security is on when the new cpu is put in it wont post windows 10.

thats what i found anyway.

Jul 16, 2023
make sure your bios is up to date

make sure 100 percent that the bitlocker is off I had to disable bitlocker its on regardless if your windows 10 or pro.

in your search box

type in services
under services look for the bitlocker drive encryption service
right click>properties>start up type> disable> apply

this forced bitlocker off.

restart pc go into bios
reset bios back to default.

then go to advanced settings

your looking for the cpus AMD CPU fTPM disable it.

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B85v1.4.pdf
page 55.

once its disabled save the bios.

turn the pc off

replace cpu with new one.

as the pc is booting hit the key to get into bios.

youll get a warning about the ftpm not being on this is normal to me.
turn this back on if the motherboard hasnt already.
check bios if boot drive is visible now.

save bios

and wait

it should boot into windows 10 if the boot drive is visible in your bios.

once in windows turn it back on the encryption and then go back to your bios and add your overclocks etc had previously and save.

i had to go threw this with 2 motherboards

1. gigabyte 2. asrock.

both where b450 motherboards. and have been running fine.

it makes upgrading the motherboards a pain but as long as you remember to turn both off it wont cause issues.

basicly if the old cpus fTPM security is on when the new cpu is put in it wont post windows 10.

thats what i found anyway.
I followed all of those steps, when I put the new cpu in, the same issue I had at the start happened. It opened the bios and I checked back and the cpu fTPM was turned back on automatically, so I just saved and exited, making sure the boot drive is on there, and now the boot light is solid red with nothing on screen (if I restart it pulls bios back up)

Jul 16, 2023
Also on this, the boot mode select is currently at UEFI. I read a Reddit post where someone had a similar issue and they changed it from UEFI to legacy and it worked. The only issue with this is the boot mode select seems to be locked as in I can’t change it.

TRENDING THREADS