nort

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
I recently purchased a Western Digital Caviar Blue 1tb hard drive and it seems to be running ridiculously slow for me. I want to use it as my media drive, when I copy files from my 320gb hard drive the write speed constantly drops to under 10mb/s. I've ran a chkdsk on the drive and it says that windows found no problems with it (this was after re-formatting the drive). The files that I have on it take forever to read too. Is this a faulty drive or is there something I can do to fix it?

Edit:
Just tried a different sata cable, the write speed is now hovering just above 10mb/s but still continues to fall.

Motherboard:
Gigabyte ep45-ud3r
cpu:
e5200 oc 3.6ghz
ram:
G. Skill 2x 2gb ddr2 800mhz
gpu:
HIS 4850 iceQ4
Hard Drives
intel X25-V 40gb SSD (Windows 7 64bit)
Western Digital SATA 320gb
Western Digital Blue SATA 1tb 32mb cache (Hard Drive In Question)

If it's one of WD's new "advanced format" drives, make sure you partitioned and formatted it using Win7, which I see you have. If this drive was formatted on an XP machine and transferred to this computer you will have performance issues.

Other than that, I'm not sure what would cause it to go that slow unless the drive is defective. Try running WD's utilility program to check for any SMART errors.