Question New ssd listed as "UEFI Hard Disk: Windows Boot Manager" in Bios and old hdd not showing up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 10, 2020
I bought a new M.2 ssd and used a bootable usb to install windows on it, but the first time I forgot to disconnect my cd drive, so I did it again with both my hdd and cd drive disconnected, and the install was successful. The problem is that now in the bios boot menu (MSI click bios), the ssd is listed as "UEFI Hard Disk: Windows Boot Manager (P1: WDS500G3X0C-00SSG0)"

Also, my hdd isn't showing up in the bios boot menu, even though I've connected it and the cd driver after installation of windows. However, my hdd is clearly listed in Disk management as "Disk 0": View: https://imgur.com/a/d01qOuZ

It is not, however, listed in File explorer. I was wondering if it was maybe my first blundered attempt that caused problems?

Colif

Win 11 Master
UEFI Hard Disk: Windows Boot Manager (P1: WDS500G3X0C-00SSG0)"

this is correct listing for a WIn 10 boot drive formatted as GPT
Your hdd is formatted as MBR

Win 10 has swapped the boot method from legacy to UEFI and because it is using the Windows Boot manager to boot, and the hdd wasn't attached to PC when it was installed, it can't see the hdd.

That is how you are meant to do it with win 10 or it would have added itself to the boot partition on the hdd and not created its own, and if the old install is win 10, it would have just overwritten them as it doesn't understand dual booting win 10. Installing to m.2 just complicates it as often if you leave hdd attached when you do this, it won't see the m.2

It is not, however, listed in File explorer. I
this is odd part, it should show here since the partitions are clearly created and it shows in Disk Management

Aug 10, 2020
if you wanted dual boot, this wasn't the way to do it

No, I don't want to dual boot. I found my hdd in file explorer, but when I look through it , a lot of my files are missing. My old hdd before I got the ssd was the c drive, but for some reason my pc changed it to H drive and the SSD to c. This might sound silly, but I wanted to boot from my hdd to see if my missing files are there.

Colif

Win 11 Master
What motherboard is it? I am wondering as there might be a way in bios to boot to drive without changing boot order. Some BIOS have a menu called Boot Override that let you boot from 1 drive one time and it returns to normal boot order the next. That wway you can boot into the hdd and copy anything you want to save onto USB or the m.2 drive.

was there ever anything on the blank space? the 293gh? as I can sort of guess why C became H as that 293 was likely E drive.

Aug 10, 2020
My motherboard is msi z170a sli plus.I don't remember the free space ever being e drive. Also, there was never any system reserved G drive until I installed the ssd, or at least it never appeared on file explorer.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020
I bought a new M.2 ssd and used a bootable usb to install windows on it, but the first time I forgot to disconnect my cd drive, so I did it again with both my hdd and cd drive disconnected, and the install was successful. The problem is that now in the bios boot menu (MSI click bios), the ssd is listed as "UEFI Hard Disk: Windows Boot Manager (P1: WDS500G3X0C-00SSG0)"

Also, my hdd isn't showing up in the bios boot menu, even though I've connected it and the cd driver after installation of windows. However, my hdd is clearly listed in Disk management as "Disk 0": View: https://imgur.com/a/d01qOuZ

It is not, however, listed in File explorer. I was wondering if it was maybe my first blundered attempt that caused problems?

I was facing the same issue for my Asus TUF FX505... Previously i was having 1tb hdd, then I added 240gb M.2 and wanted to migrate os on to ssd, but unfortunately it didn't worked because ASUS UEFI didn't recognize the ssd, after searching solution for days on various forums finally i found it myself..

Solution which worked for me is.

I created a bootable usb (GPT). As MBR bootable drive is not detected.
Deleted all the partition on ssd using windows disk manager. (SSD SHOULD HAVE UNALLOCATED SPACE)
Shut down.
removed HDD before booting into UEFI.
now system was connected with usb and ssd.
Boot and go to UEFI - Advance - Boot - select usb as boot option #1 - Save & exit.
then finally it started to install fresh copy of windows on SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS