[SOLVED] New system w/o integrated graphics, Stuck on black screen

Jul 1, 2020
Hi,

I recently built a new system with the following specs:
  1. Mobo: AsRock B365M-HDV BIOS P4.20
  2. CPU: i3-9100F
  3. RAM: 1x16GB
  4. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 512GB
  5. GPU: GeForce 9400T (I know this is too old, and I am planning to upgrade this a couple of months from now to 1650)
  6. SMPS: Intex Classic-450
As the CPU has no onboard GPU, I connected the Monitor to the Graphic Card. But when I turn the machine on, no display comes up (not even to BIOS), the monitor simply goes off to sleep.
The CPU and GPU fans both work fine.

Can someone please help me resolve the issue?
When I tested the built for compatibility on the various source on the internet, I didn't see any issues. But do let me know if you see one.

P.S. I have another GPU GT 240, slightly upgraded from 9400, I can test if that works if you think that is the issue. But I think if 9400 is compatible, it should work

Last edited:
Solution
So today i put in GT 240 and also a brand new 500W PSU with the 8 pin connector.
It still isn't giving any display signal.
Can you please help me out?
What could be the reason now?

My guess is the RAM is faulty, and am planning to get that checked. Any thoughts would be helpful
Yes RAM is worth checking, try one by one in all sockets with cMOS reset between changes.
Hi,

I recently built a new system with the following specs:
  1. Mobo: AsRock B365M-HDV BIOS P4.20
  2. CPU: i3-9100F
  3. RAM: 1x16GB
  4. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 512GB
  5. GPU: GeForce 9400T (I know this is too old, and I am planning to upgrade this a couple of months from now to 1650)
  6. SMPS: Intex Classic-450
As the CPU has no onboard GPU, I connected the Monitor to the Graphic Card. But when I turn the machine on, no display comes up (not even to BIOS), the monitor simply goes off to sleep.
The CPU and GPU fans both work fine.

Can someone please help me resolve the issue?
When I tested the built for compatibility on the various source on the internet, I didn't see any issues. But do let me know if you see one.

P.S. I have another GPU GT 240, slightly upgraded from 9400, I can test if that works if you think that is the issue. But I think if 9400 is compatible, it should work
Better try GT 240, I don't think older ones are compatible with PCIe v3

Reactions: PranavMankikar
Jul 1, 2020
That is some terrible PSU. Does it even have necessary 8pin CPU power connector?

Good catch!
No it has only 4 pin connector, but the MoBo manual has instructions to use the first 4 slots out of the 8 for the connection. So i have set it up that way. You think that's causing it? Will the 4pin to 8pin adapter work or do I need a new PSU altogether?

Sorry, it's first time i am building a system. And as you might have guessed already, I am on a tight budget and the idea is to do incremental updates.

Jul 1, 2020
Better try GT 240, I don't think older ones are compatible with PCIe v3

Thanks for your response CountMike.
Due to some logistic constraints, i will only be able to test GT 240 tomorrow, so will get back once i do it. But do you see any other possible reasons? Or just puttinf in GT 240 should do the trick?

Also, can you please confirm if my BIOS p4.20 would be fine?

Thanks for your response CountMike.
Due to some logistic constraints, i will only be able to test GT 240 tomorrow, so will get back once i do it. But do you see any other possible reasons? Or just puttinf in GT 240 should do the trick?

Also, can you please confirm if my BIOS p4.20 would be fine?
Come to think of it, 9400 is pretty power hungry card and MB without full 8pin may not be able to supply all of 75W it requires from PCIe slot, just a thought.
BIOS is above first required for that CPU, shouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: PranavMankikar
Jul 1, 2020
Come to think of it, 9400 is pretty power hungry card and MB without full 8pin may not be able to supply all of 75W it requires from PCIe slot, just a thought.

Thanks for confirming the BIOS part, I was actually a bit worried about it.
I will add a better PSU to my build and hopefully, it will work.

Jul 1, 2020

So today i put in GT 240 and also a brand new 500W PSU with the 8 pin connector.

My guess is the RAM is faulty, and am planning to get that checked. Any thoughts would be helpful

Yes RAM is worth checking, try one by one in all sockets with cMOS reset between changes.

Solution
Jul 1, 2020

Trying RAM in different slots didnt work.
Then i plugged in the system speaker and removed the RAM altogether and started the system.
I got a repeating POST beep.. so i guess the Mobo is good. Correct?
I will go back to the shop from where I bought the RAM ro get it checked. Also just confirming, just 1 slot with 16GB works, right? As in, I dont need to have both slots filled?

Trying RAM in different slots didnt work.
Then i plugged in the system speaker and removed the RAM altogether and started the system.
I got a repeating POST beep.. so i guess the Mobo is good. Correct?
I will go back to the shop from where I bought the RAM ro get it checked. Also just confirming, just 1 slot with 16GB works, right? As in, I dont need to have both slots filled?
Yes, as long as it's right slot, check the manual which one.