[SOLVED] New to buying pc parts. Need help with advice on graphics card.

Jan 20, 2021
So my specs are I5, rx 580, 16gb ram, ssd. I want to buy this "MSI GeForce GTX 1660 VENTUS XS 6G OC 6GB GDDR5 1830MHz" graphics card used on ebay for $280. Is this a good graphics card for someone who just wants a budget upgrade instead of the latest and greatest? Thanks.

Solution
Not much of an upgrade. It's a little better. Certainly not something I'd consider shelling out $280 for. At least you can get most of that back by selling the RX 580 (assuming 8GB not 4GB model). Prices of GPU are insane right now. I'd just stick with what you've got. At least you know it wasn't hammered mining cryptocurrency 24/7 with horrible VRAM and fan settings. Assuming you weren't mining with the 580.

I think the best advice for GPU right now is to stick with what you've got. Wait until the prices come back down to sane levels.

1660 super is definitely a great 1080p card.
You can pretty much play any title on max settings at 1080p with 1660 super.
What i5 dk u have?
What psu do u have?

The card being asked about is a...
Not much of an upgrade. It's a little better. Certainly not something I'd consider shelling out $280 for. At least you can get most of that back by selling the RX 580 (assuming 8GB not 4GB model). Prices of GPU are insane right now. I'd just stick with what you've got. At least you know it wasn't hammered mining cryptocurrency 24/7 with horrible VRAM and fan settings. Assuming you weren't mining with the 580.

I think the best advice for GPU right now is to stick with what you've got. Wait until the prices come back down to sane levels.

1660 super is definitely a great 1080p card.
You can pretty much play any title on max settings at 1080p with 1660 super.
What i5 dk u have?
What psu do u have?

The card being asked about is a regular 1660. It's a 1660 Ventus not a 1660 Super Ventus.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Solution
Jan 20, 2021

The card being asked about is a regular 1660. It's a 1660 Ventus not a 1660 Super Ventus.
So should I look for a super ventus? I don't really want to pay more than 400 dollars as I am in highschool and don't currently have a job. If not the super ventus what would you recommend?

Ok I will look for one. I see a few in the 350 price range online. Thanks for the help!

You can also look at the 1660 Ti. The Ti is about the same as the Super. If you can save money on a different manufacturer. I'd certainly consider it. Still that's a lot of money to be spending on those cards. Used cards at that.

If demand wasn't so high right now. After the release of the Radeon 6000 series and GeForce 3000 series. I'd have been expecting a drop in price of the old gen with a new 2070 Super and 5700XT in the $350 price bracket. Not a used 1660 Super.

While the 1660 Ti and Super are better than your Rx 580. It's not something you're going to mess your pants over. Games will be a bit smoother at the same settings or you may achieve mildly better settings for the same FPS. Maybe it's just personal preference. But I'd opt to wait until a meaningful upgrade is reasonably priced. Like I went from a GTX 560 Ti to a GTX 970. That was an amazing upgrade. Then I went from a GTX 970 to an Rx 580 8GB. Which wasn't much different except the higher max settings possible from having more VRAM. The only reason I did the small upgrade is I had the card lying around from another project.

Jan 20, 2021
You can also look at the 1660 Ti. The Ti is about the same as the Super. If you can save money on a different manufacturer. I'd certainly consider it. Still that's a lot of money to be spending on those cards. Used cards at that.

If demand wasn't so high right now. After the release of the Radeon 6000 series and GeForce 3000 series. I'd have been expecting a drop in price of the old gen with a new 2070 Super and 5700XT in the $350 price bracket. Not a used 1660 Super.

While the 1660 Ti and Super are better than your Rx 580. It's not something you're going to mess your pants over. Games will be a bit smoother at the same settings or you may achieve mildly better settings for the same FPS. Maybe it's just personal preference. But I'd opt to wait until a meaningful upgrade is reasonably priced. Like I went from a GTX 560 Ti to a GTX 970. That was an amazing upgrade. Then I went from a GTX 970 to an Rx 580 8GB. Which wasn't much different except the higher max settings possible from having more VRAM. The only reason I did the small upgrade is I had the card lying around from another project.
Yeah I have no problem waiting for prices to go down. I would totally go for a 2070 if it dropped in price that much. Main thing I want the upgrade for is my textures are not great in some games. Like black ops cold war zombies. I get good fps but when I try to put textures on medium or high it exceeds my recommended vram usage. Like I said I'm new to all this stuff so I thought I would ask others for advice and I'm glad I did. I noticed a huge spike in gpu prices over the holidays and all the official retailers were sold out of almost everything. I assume that means prices will go back down sometime relatively soon?

Jan 20, 2021
See it yourself.
View: https://youtu.be/bHWPIQNOF4w

Also if u play BR or FPS games,the you should consider upgrading the cpu,since it will give you more fps then upgrading the gpu.
On the other hand,if ur playing modern AAA titles then upgrade the gpu,but not to a 1660.
My CPU is fine for now. I don't really play many AAA or fps games I would just like my pc to be able to in case one comes along that I do want to play. (Resident evil 8). I looked around and cheapest 1660 ventus super I can find is like 380 used. I'm just going to wait til graphics cards hopefully go down in price before I buy anything. I'm in no hurry.

Yeah I have no problem waiting for prices to go down. I would totally go for a 2070 if it dropped in price that much. Main thing I want the upgrade for is my textures are not great in some games. Like black ops cold war zombies. I get good fps but when I try to put textures on medium or high it exceeds my recommended vram usage. Like I said I'm new to all this stuff so I thought I would ask others for advice and I'm glad I did. I noticed a huge spike in gpu prices over the holidays and all the official retailers were sold out of almost everything. I assume that means prices will go back down sometime relatively soon?

Let me put it this way. My used Rx 580 8GB was worth about $50 a few months ago. Now they are going for $200 to $250.

Jan 20, 2021
I would not recommend buying a 1660 super, as it's not much of an upgrade, id recommend something in the RTX 2060, 2060 super, 2070, or 3060ti. Those would pare nicely with your setup. although you're gonna have to save up a bit, although it will be worthwhile.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
not sure of your country but isnt the 3060 12gb price to be around $329 usd for the refence card .. id prob be saving your pennys for when the market smooths out then buying something..
At the moment prices are just crazy..

im seeing used 3700x cpus go for $400 to $450 aud plus on ebay i payed $450aud 6 months ago brand new even my old 5700xt red devil are getting $600 to $650 and i payed $700 aud brand new 6 months ago ..

i may even sell them both at this crazy time as there just gathering dust after the upgrades ive done!!