Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
My current specs:

GPU - GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
CPU - i5 8600k overclocked at 4.8GHz
PSU - EVGA 600W W1 80+ White
MOBO - Gigabyte z370p d3-cf
RAM - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz

I would like to upgrade wiht 16GB of the same RAM and also upgrade my 1070 to a RTX 2070. Is my current build at a good stage to accommodate this upgrade.
Thanks,

Solution
That PSU is pretty old design and low quality with poor 12v regulation and I would not recommend putting a 2070 on it.

You should look at buying a higher quality unit like the Corsair TXm or RMx, Seasonic FOCUS G series or EVGA G2. A 550 watt would probably work but I would recommend a 650 watt of any of these units to give you plenty of headroom and upgrades down the line.

As far as adding more RAM, although its possible to simply add another stick of RAM or a set of RAM, there's no guarantee it will work, or you wont have issues such as stability issues, slower then advertised speeds etc. Then again you could get lucky and it works 100% ok, but again no promises.

As far as the 2070, be sure to get a 2070 Super if you are...
That PSU is pretty old design and low quality with poor 12v regulation and I would not recommend putting a 2070 on it.

You should look at buying a higher quality unit like the Corsair TXm or RMx, Seasonic FOCUS G series or EVGA G2. A 550 watt would probably work but I would recommend a 650 watt of any of these units to give you plenty of headroom and upgrades down the line.

As far as adding more RAM, although its possible to simply add another stick of RAM or a set of RAM, there's no guarantee it will work, or you wont have issues such as stability issues, slower then advertised speeds etc. Then again you could get lucky and it works 100% ok, but again no promises.

As far as the 2070, be sure to get a 2070 Super if you are buying new otherwise if you are getting a good deal on the 2070 then its still worth it. Just be sure to weigh the cost against the RX 5700XT since that card is slightly faster then the normal 2070, and the 2070 Super is slightly faster then the 5700XT.

Reactions: FunctionalGaming
Solution

FunctionalGaming

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014

As far as the 2070, be sure to get a 2070 Super if you are buying new otherwise if you are getting a good deal on the 2070 then its still worth it. Just be sure to weigh the cost against the RX 5700XT since that card is slightly faster then the normal 2070, and the 2070 Super is slightly faster then the 5700XT.

If I were to get a new PSU would I be able to get a 2080?