Question New (Used) AMD FX 8300 is slower than my old FX 4300

lancen0136

Reputable
Sep 24, 2016
My 8300 that I just installed is running much slower than my old 4300. From what I'm understanding I should be able to run this just fine.
I did have to reset the CMOS when I installed it though, other wise it wouldn't boot.

Specs:
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 (1.2) (My BIOS version is F6)
8GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia GeForce 1050 Ti

CPU (Old) AMD FX 4300
CPU(New) AMD FX 8300

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
VRMs on that motherboard might be too weak to fully support the 8 core CPU.

Download AMD Overdrive and report the minimum Thermal Margin value seen while under load.

Also, look at graph of CPU clock speed while under load and see if it's maintaining a constant speed (should be in high 3000s MHz). I think MSI afterburner shows graphs of CPU frequency.

Task manager can also report clocks under the performance tab. The 8 core fx CPUs require a ton of power to drive, so I bet it could be a VRM issue as TJ Hooker suggested. What PSU do you have? What cooler do you have? I would monitor clocks and temps and report back.

lancen0136

Reputable
Sep 24, 2016

lancen0136

Reputable
Sep 24, 2016
PSU shouldn't be an issue if it's operating properly. You should run a benchmark and see the clocks+temps. Also, do you notice the cpu maxing out in GTA5?
Msi afterburner can measure this.
So far I've been monitoring my clocks and temps for a bit and I haven't done anything different than download the AMD Overdrive and I've gone from that abysmal 20fps I mentioned up to about 50-60fps.
My temps when I have the game running are around 20 while when it's not it's about 33, my clocks are reaching about the 3600s and task manager says it's using up about 70% of the CPU

I mean this is just a hunch (also I'm still learning bear with me) do I need to let it sit and run after installing the cpu or something?

Could have been an anomaly. As long as its performing as expected now as the benchmark says, I wouldn't worry about it.
The only recommendation I would recommend is buying a $30-50 240gb SSD boot drive in the future. Even a cheap HP 120gb SSD has made a 6-year-old laptop of mine boot in nearly 4-5 times as fast, and the pc is suddenly faster than brand new.

Reactions: lancen0136