[SOLVED] New win10 on SSD

YoungDNL

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2016
Hello,
I've just installed windows 10 on an SSD. I've unplugged the HDD and left windows on it, after I installed windows on the SSD, I plugged back in the hdd.
Now however, Im not sure on how to use the programs that are on the HDD. It reads everything fine but doesn't let me use them and the drivers are not being read either.
Could someone please help me out how to use my HDD and what i need to do in order to achieve that.
For anymore info just give me a heads up.

Solution
But that has 800GB worth of stuff is it not possible to use them by uninstalling windows on that drive or something by these lines?
No, ultimately your OS effectively "ties" itself to the programs in it's registry, in it's application and more.

You can keep programs such as Steam games for example, as you can just redirect the launch file in your Steam Client.
Nearly everything else will have to be reinstalled so that it associates with your new OS.

USAFRet

Titan
Hello,
I've just installed windows 10 on an SSD. I've unplugged the HDD and left windows on it, after I installed windows on the SSD, I plugged back in the hdd.
Now however, Im not sure on how to use the programs that are on the HDD. It reads everything fine but doesn't let me use them and the drivers are not being read either.
Could someone please help me out how to use my HDD and what i need to do in order to achieve that.
For anymore info just give me a heads up.
You can't use the programs or drivers that exist on the HDD in the old OS.

You need to wipe that drive clean, and reinstall all your applications and drivers.

Reactions: YoungDNL

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
But that has 800GB worth of stuff is it not possible to use them by uninstalling windows on that drive or something by these lines?
No, ultimately your OS effectively "ties" itself to the programs in it's registry, in it's application and more.

You can keep programs such as Steam games for example, as you can just redirect the launch file in your Steam Client.
Nearly everything else will have to be reinstalled so that it associates with your new OS.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
No.
When something is installed, it makes dozens (sometimes thousands) of entries in the Registry and elsewhere.
The new OS on the SSD and its Registry knows nothing about those applications.

And no, you can't apply the old registry to the new OS. Doesn't work like that.

YoungDNL

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2016
No.
When something is installed, it makes dozens (sometimes thousands) of entries in the Registry and elsewhere.
The new OS on the SSD and its Registry knows nothing about those applications.

And no, you can't apply the old registry to the new OS. Doesn't work like that.
Thanks for that, I'll remember that for the future