[SOLVED] New x79 build, using some old PC parts, DDR3 memory questions

Tachiro

Prominent
Mar 3, 2019
Background story: Bought one of those X79 LGA2011 socket boards off aliexpress ("mini" atx) for a budget build using what i can from my current (older) computer. I already have 2 x 8gb DDR3-2400 ram in it and i'm looking for more ram to take advantage of the additional 2 slots on this new mobo. Here's my thoughts/questions:

- I thought i heard that either this mobo or the xeon 2660 v2 only supports up to 1866mhz. Now with this limitation in mind, should i still be reusing this ram or should i sell it and use the funds to put toward more ddr3-1866 ram for cheap?

- which got me thinking, is there even any benefit to using 2400mhz memory in a system that won't take full advantage of it? like does 2400mhz ram run better at a lower setting than something that's peak speed is 1866mhz?

Sidenote: it's interesting spotting all these amazing specs i never heard of floating around in the titles of other forum questions, and i'm just here realizing how far PC building has left me in the dust the past few years. THE DUST I TELL YOU. But hey, for like $147 including expedited shipping and tax, i got a board almost as small as a mini-itx with quad channel and this old 10 core xeon (e5-2660 v2) server CPU and i get to reuse most of the parts from my old comp (ram/PSU/budget gpu).

Next build i'll have to start from scratch i guess.

Solution
Background story: Bought one of those X79 LGA2011 socket boards off aliexpress ("mini" atx) for a budget build using what i can from my current (older) computer. I already have 2 x 8gb DDR3-2400 ram in it and i'm looking for more ram to take advantage of the additional 2 slots on this new mobo. Here's my thoughts/questions:

- I thought i heard that either this mobo or the xeon 2660 v2 only supports up to 1866mhz. Now with this limitation in mind, should i still be reusing this ram or should i sell it and use the funds to put toward more ddr3-1866 ram for cheap?

- which got me thinking, is there even any benefit to using 2400mhz memory in a system that won't take full advantage of it? like does 2400mhz ram run better at a lower...

- which got me thinking, is there even any benefit to using 2400mhz memory in a system that won't take full advantage of it? like does 2400mhz ram run better at a lower setting than something that's peak speed is 1866mhz?

Sidenote: it's interesting spotting all these amazing specs i never heard of floating around in the titles of other forum questions, and i'm just here realizing how far PC building has left me in the dust the past few years. THE DUST I TELL YOU. But hey, for like $147 including expedited shipping and tax, i got a board almost as small as a mini-itx with quad channel and this old 10 core xeon (e5-2660 v2) server CPU and i get to reuse most of the parts from my old comp (ram/PSU/budget gpu).

Next build i'll have to start from scratch i guess.

Actually, the Mobo will downclock the RAM speed to adjust the compability. So it will be fine.
It's up to you, if you think is it worth it to sell the 2400 and buy the 1866 RAM.

Benefit using faster RAM ? Improve systems performance. But I think that's not really noticeable.

Reactions: Tachiro
Solution