Angel

My hard drive crashed and I installed a new one. I don't have the original XP
disk I installed. Do I have to purchase a new one or can I use someones with
a key code that can be used on more tham one computer? Bare with me guys I am
new to this re-installation stuff.

You'll need a new XP disk.

"Angel" wrote:

> My hard drive crashed and I installed a new one. I don't have the original XP
> disk I installed. Do I have to purchase a new one or can I use someones with
> a key code that can be used on more tham one computer? Bare with me guys I am
> new to this re-installation stuff.

Hi,

If you have *your* code, then you can simply copy someone else's disk and
use it - provided it is the same type (same version, same as far as
retail/OEM). Otherwise not, and you will need to purchase a new one. A
volume license is generally sold to businesses, but if you know someone with
a 5 copy license and they are willing to give you one of those, then that
too is fine.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Angel wrote:
> My hard drive crashed and I installed a new one. I don't have the original XP
> disk I installed. Do I have to purchase a new one or can I use someones with
> a key code that can be used on more tham one computer? Bare with me guys I am
> new to this re-installation stuff.

As long as you use your *own* Product Key (the one that's stored on the
packaging of the CD you've lost), and no other, you can borrow a
like-version installation CD to re-install the OS. There is no
"generic" Product Key that can be used on multiple computers; there is a
Volume License available, to be purchased in quantities of 5 or more.

Product Keys are bound to the specific type and language of CD/license
(OEM, Volume, retail, full, or Upgrade) with which they are purchased.
For example, a WinXP Home OEM Product Key won't work for any retail
version of WinXP Home, or for any version of WinXP Pro, and vice versa.
An upgrade's Product Key cannot be used with a full version CD, and
vice versa. An OEM Product Key will not work to install a retail
product. An Italian Product Key will not work with an English CD.
Bottom line: Product Keys and CD types cannot be mixed & matched.

Your best course of action, of course, would to replace the missing CD.
If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

If it was an OEM license, you'll need to contact the computer's
manufacturer.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

> Hi,
>
> If you have *your* code, then you can simply copy someone else's disk and
> use it - provided it is the same type ...

Rick,

It is not OK to just make a copy of a friends CD (I believe our CDs still
have the "Do not make illegal copies of this disk" on the disk surface.)

If the end user has lost his CD then he should get another from us if it was
retail or from the OEM if it was an OEM supplied CD.

How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326246

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

> Hi,
>
> If you have *your* code, then you can simply copy someone else's disk and
> use it - provided it is the same type (same version, same as far as
> retail/OEM). Otherwise not, and you will need to purchase a new one. A
> volume license is generally sold to businesses, but if you know someone
> with a 5 copy license and they are willing to give you one of those, then
> that too is fine.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Angel" <darkangel432001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> My hard drive crashed and I installed a new one. I don't have the
>> original XP
>> disk I installed. Do I have to purchase a new one or can I use someones
>> with
>> a key code that can be used on more tham one computer? Bare with me guys
>> I am
>> new to this re-installation stuff.

Gordon

Mike Brannigan [MSFT] wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> If you have *your* code, then you can simply copy someone else's
>> disk and use it - provided it is the same type ...
>
> Rick,
>
> It is not OK to just make a copy of a friends CD (I believe our CDs
> still have the "Do not make illegal copies of this disk" on the disk
> surface.)

but surely if the OP has paid for a licence, whether OEM or Retail, then
copying a CD is OK? Is it not the *licence* that is important here, rather
than the CD?