NEWB with a dream

lations

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
hey guys, im very new to computers but i feel i can learn fairly quickly. i am going to buy a new desktop soon and have a couple questions.

i was told that getting an i7 920 would be smarter than a 940 because i can overclock it... can someone with pretty much no experience do this without tearing their hair out? it may be worth the extra money to get a 940, but as i understand it a stock 940 is slower than OCd 920.

Most Importantly: what should i keep in mind when buying the computer if i do plan on overclocking... some issues i wonder about are:

cooling: coolermaster V10 is really best option from cyberpower...enough for overclocking??
Also: people mention thermal paste...is this something i will be dealing with in the process?

are there any other components or anything i need to consider when buying the pc when planning an overclock??

ANY help would be great guys and i would really appreciate it... PLEASE feel free to go off on tangents or talk about anything remotely related, since any extra knowledge will help me a TON
Thanks

drippyfausett

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Not sure how good this link will help you but it might be a start. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-overclock-athlon,2161.html

I would like to mention that the 940 is a black edition which has an unlocked multiplier. It allows easier overclocks from what I hear. Make sure the MB you choose has SB750 (the southbridge) allows for better overclocks. Just some stuff off my head. I have never overclocked but this is just stuff that I have run across from reading others posts.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Since you state you are planning to buy rather than build, and plan to overclock, you need to make sure you can overclock the purchased system. Some like Dell have a bios that does not allow OC - don't know about Cyberpower. You also need to know if it will void the warranty - and if so are you willing to take that risk. Another issue with some purchased pc's is the power supply, which in stock configurations may not be a quality PSU or might not be large enough to handle the increased watts required for the overclock.

lations

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
thanks guys, i had no idea that some companies wont allow an overclock. i guess i will try to look into that. how much more power do you think i would need...if 800 would be enough pre OC, then would i need like 850 or more?

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Depends on what you overclock and how much. This PSU calculator has a section to enter OC info into the calculation:

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Note that you have to pay a little for a subscription to use the better calculator that provides not only total requirements but also the amperage on the rails with different voltages.

The total wattage requirement will be strongly affected by such things as the graphics card you choose and whether you want to allow for multiple video cards as well as the CPU and whether you OC - but I am guessing that if you don't plan to go with multiple cards you probably will not need more than about 600W even with OC. But the calculator will tell.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
O wow, 800 is overkill unless your going tri-sli/crossfire. For a single GPU system, 550-600 should be plenty, with 650-750 for dual GPU systems.

In terms of overclocking you need to be more concerned with the make and quality of your PSU than its wattage. Stick to quality brands such as PC Power and Cooling, Corsair, Seasonic, and Antec. Look for an 80 Plus certification as well, as this means the PSU is pretty energy efficient.

If the system is comming pre-built, you wont have to worry about thermal paste. The V10 is a pretty good heatsink, should serve you well.

Lastly, what youve been told is that you can save a few $$ and OC the 920 up to 940 speeds and beyond. This is true, and its up to you to do that or just buy the speed. I personaly prefer the overclock method, but it can be quite tedious. Very few CPUs are 'automatic overclockers' (Meaning basically that there is so much overhead built in you just switch one thing and your done, E8400 OCed to 3.6Ghz falls into this catagory)

O and drippy, hes looking at Corei7, not PhenomII.

lations

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
thank you guys so much! this is the most extensively any question i have ever asked was answered...as to power i think i might even get more to be on the safe side, because i plan on eventually having 2x gtx 295 graphics cards