[SOLVED] Newly built PC - CPU temps are concerning

Dec 2, 2020
Just finished building my PC, and im having some issues with my i9-9900k processor. While playing the new Call of Duty - Cold War my CPU temps can go as high as 90 degrees. I'vre read somewhere that the 9900k does run hot but 90 degrees sounds well... too warm. Also read somewhere that setting a limit on the CPU voltage might help, but im very unfamiliar with BIOS settings and all that. Anyone able to help me? My GPU doesnt run hotter than like 50-55 degrees when playing the same game. I have an AIO on the roof of the case working as an intake, Two more fans in front working as intake and two fans in the rear working as exhaust.

(MSI motherboard)

Solution
sorry for the late response! i tested it and yes, it does downclock to 4,4 MHz when playing.
Well, there you have it. Another title that runs AVX. Just like with ray tracing, supported titles will likely increase over time.

At the same frequencies, AVX has higher power consumption and voltage requirements than the standard SSE instruction set, but it is faster than the latter.

You've got a number of options.
A)Utilize the AVX offset. It shouldn't run as hot with an offset of -3 compared to no offset at all.

B)Go about manually tuning the Vcore to try and yield lower thermals during play.
It's easy enough to use an app like hwinfo,
monitor how much Vcore the cpu uses normally,
go into bios and experiment with 0.01v offsets -...
Dec 2, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

It's customary to include your full system's specs for your newly built rig for us to see if there might be any mistakes in the parts chosen. What aftermarket cooler are you working with to cool that processor?

Oh sorry I didnt know I had to do that, but thanks for letting me know!

• Obsidian 750D tower
  • MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC motherboard
  • Intel i9-9900k processor
  • Asus Rog Strix LC 240 AIO
  • Corsair RM850i PSU
  • 4x8GB Corsair Vengance Pro RGB RAM
  • Nvidia 3070 (Asus TUF-gaming) GPU
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD
  • 4x Corsair LL140 RGB Fans

Dec 2, 2020
Hi @LordOvrebo, tagging along this thread as I am currently experiencing this with my PC as well. At the loading screen of Cold War I am reaching temps of 87-90 Celcius. Things that you could check which I have done in the meantime (still no solution though):
  • Reseat CPU
  • Reapply thermal paste
  • Ensure airflow is correct (I had installed my fan to blow into the case) - Changed this direction and still no improvement
  • Adjust Power Plan in the Power Options settings in Windows - set this to Balanced
  • Test with open case
  • Check all fans are spinning and connected
  • Adjust fan speed curve in the BIOS to be more aggressive
For other fixes, I will wait and see what more experienced members have to say :D

Dec 2, 2020
Hi @LordOvrebo, tagging along this thread as I am currently experiencing this with my PC as well. At the loading screen of Cold War I am reaching temps of 87-90 Celcius. Things that you could check which I have done in the meantime (still no solution though):
  • Reseat CPU
  • Reapply thermal paste
  • Ensure airflow is correct (I had installed my fan to blow into the case) - Changed this direction and still no improvement
  • Adjust Power Plan in the Power Options settings in Windows - set this to Balanced
  • Test with open case
  • Check all fans are spinning and connected
  • Adjust fan speed curve in the BIOS to be more aggressive
For other fixes, I will wait and see what more experienced members have to say :D

Yeah im still waiting for some suggestions from more experienced people too! Haven't checked if the power plan would yield any results but its a good suggestion! I have tried all other options (apart from reapplying TP as my AIO comes with TP pre-apllied) and they havent worked at all. Hopefully a solution will some come to light! :)

Reactions: Y4NN1CK

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Cold War probably runs AVX instead of the normal SSE instruction set. I know BF V and Watch Dogs: Legion run it too.
240mm hybrid cooler isn't gonna cut it if that's what's going on.

Is an AVX offset being used in the bios? If bios just says 'Auto', an offset likely isn't being used.

If an offset is being used, have you observed the cpu clocking down a couple hundred mhz to the AVX frequency?

Reactions: CompuTronix
Dec 2, 2020
Cold War probably runs AVX instead of the normal SSE instruction set. I know BF V and Watch Dogs: Legion run it too.
240mm hybrid cooler isn't gonna cut it if that's what's going on.

Is an AVX offset being used in the bios? If bios just says 'Auto', an offset likely isn't being used.

If an offset is being used, have you observed the cpu clocking down a couple hundred mhz to the AVX frequency?

Looking in the BIOS, it says that; CPU ratio offset when running AVX —> [auto]

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So it's likely not clocking down.

Ok. Set an offset of 3, save and exit.
While running either Msi Afterburner or Intel XTU in the background, play a round or 2 of Cold War.
Tab out, take a look at cpu frequency, and see if the offset is kicking in.

While hwinfo could do it, I prefer the visual line graphs from the other 2 apps.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
sorry for the late response! i tested it and yes, it does downclock to 4,4 MHz when playing.
Well, there you have it. Another title that runs AVX. Just like with ray tracing, supported titles will likely increase over time.

At the same frequencies, AVX has higher power consumption and voltage requirements than the standard SSE instruction set, but it is faster than the latter.

A)Utilize the AVX offset. It shouldn't run as hot with an offset of -3 compared to no offset at all.

B)Go about manually tuning the Vcore to try and yield lower thermals during play.
go into bios and experiment with 0.01v offsets - example: 1.30v, 1.29, 1.28, and so on
of course, stress testing is necessary to make sure it's as stable as possible: Asus Realbench and Cinebench R23 are your friends for do so.

C)Just get a bigger cooler if you'd rather not have to deal with either of the other 2.
280mm or larger performance hybrid cooler. Make sure your chassis supports the larger sizes.

Solution
Dec 2, 2020
Are your all-core loads at 4.7 GHz (standard), or, is MCE perhaps enabled leading to all-core 5 GHz during gaming?

All cores are under 4.7 Ghz load, even when gaming. Dont know if MCE is enabled or not! Now that i've implemented an offset of -3, it clocks down to 4.4 which keeps my temp under control tho.

Dec 2, 2020

go into bios and experiment with 0.01v offsets - example: 1.30v, 1.29, 1.28, and so on
of course, stress testing is necessary to make sure it's as stable as possible: Asus Realbench and Cinebench R23 are your friends for do so.

C)Just get a bigger cooler if you'd rather not have to deal with either of the other 2.
280mm or larger performance hybrid cooler. Make sure your chassis supports the larger sizes.

Alright, ive already ordered a new AIO (NZXT Kraken Z63 CPU Cooler). The offset will have to do for now tho. Thanks for the answers bud, much appriciated! And btw do you know any good ways i can learn more about overclocking and bios tuning? it basically all uncharted territory for me and i would love to learn more about it!