NEWSFLASH: ILLEGAL TO RIP CDS TO COMPUTER

technology-sponge

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
that's complete garbage.

if they actually did enforce it, half the world would be chucked into jail.

kinda ironic, how they so love suing the artists fans. almost like they encourage you not to buy their music... and pirate it instead :D

both are illegal anyway, so why bother paying?

---
NB - before someone lectures me, i do purchase CDs legally, but i'd be first in line to purchase a shotgun, if a RIAA moron came knocking on my door.

teh_boxzor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007

i think the way things are going we all need to build one.

what can't you get sued for these days?

walking up to a girl and saying "hey baby" is sexual harassment.

I think the RIAA should make it their crusade against technology. They should file a suit where all digital music players are illegal, cease production of all CDs and put an eternal ban on such technology.

They should make it their mission to revert everything back to the good 'ol classic LPs. That way if you wanna make your music portable, you will need to strap on a turn-table and listen to your LPs while walking down the street.

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
They would also have to sue companies making MP3 players. I'd love, absolutely, completely love, to see the RIAA go head to head with Microsoft, Sony, Samsung, Apple, LG, Motorola, Creative, and other manufacturers.

metrazol

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
Does copyright law actually say anything about possession or creation of "unauthorized copies" or are they just making this up as they go? IANAL, but I think a lower court would be hesitant to make a serious amendment to copyright law, even if such a power was in its jurisdiction.

MikosNZ

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007

Companies do not make laws (at least not directly). Only when this is ruled on as legal by a judge or legislated by your government will it be legally enforcable. A better title for your thread would be NEWSFLASH: RIAA SAYS IT IS ILLEGAL TO RIP CDS TO COMPUTER.

metrazol

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
Ripping your Tom Petty album to your PC must be interfering with RIAA executives' frequency or quality of sex/cocaine parties.

lx_flier

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Haha this is ****ing hilarious. Both the xbox and xbox 360 have implemented software in their widespread game systems to allow users to rip music onto their hard drives. Not to mention Sony's ps3 and every damn PC in the last decade... I think its a little late to come up with this "law".

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
I have (or had) quite a large CD collection, many dating back to early days of CD's. I HAD to transfer many of them to MP3 because CD's don't last forever; if they want to make it illegal to "Back-up" my music collection the music companies will have to agree to replace any CD's (free of charge) whenever they start to deteriorate, forever.

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
This is getting ridicules, it’s been said in this thread before but, if they go through with this and it becomes illegal, they will: make fare use questionable; open the door to having any copy other then the CD Illegal; Make is so that you can’t rip your cd’s to your computer to put them on any music device; Make home stereo systems that stores music to play mostly useless; open the door to music bought (and downloaded) online, questionably illegal; make the music playing ability to most phones, PDA’s and any other electronic storage device (even some game consoles) mostly useless; bring into question the ability to use computers to play the music they can play; make it impossible for online radio stations to play music (since many use a high compression program to store and broadcast music); and drive many customers away from those companies that participate or associate with the RIAA.

justtom

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
I actually read the brief, the shared folder they are talking about is a kazzaa folder. The objection the RIAA had was to the sharing of the files not the ripping. The RIAA had a security company actually download files from the computer in question. No where does it say simply ripping CDs is illegal. Although, random RIAA and recording execs have muttered such nonesense before.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

No, you're title is wrong, ripping CD's to your computer for personal use is still legal under "fair use" policies. The RIAA is trying to find a different angle to challenge "fair use" because it's always been shot down on this front. The RIAA says nearly everything is illegal.

But if a book publisher tried to tell you it's illegal to read a book at the library, would you believe it? Fair Use is even less liberal than that because it applies to only a single person-you.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Well, at least one person caught what the issue actually was... A shared folder. Be it a shared folder on a home network, or on a university network, or on a P2P system, it is shared. Moral? Don't have shared folders. If you need / are required to, don't put your pr0n or music there.

Moral 2: Get a GOOD firewall, and limit who you trust into your system. (personally, I only trust me)