Next generation games consoles

smn198

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What do you envisage as the next generation of games consoles? They've already got internet access. What next?

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=1686" target="_new">System spec.</A> Ideas appreciated.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
just get gamecube i have $300.00 down on it and getting it first day too. im only getting it cause i love Nintendo games. the rest i play on my PC. PC games are the best w/ FSAA. But cant hate mario :)

ABIT BP6 + ATI RADEON 32MB DDR RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ajmcgarry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you've got a Radeon 32MB (which I dearly want for my next computer, soon to be purchased) then why do you need FSAA. With that card you comfortably run games at 1280x1024. At that resolution who needs FSAA.

PS2 has FSAA although I believe its hard to implement. Why did they make the damn thing so hard to program. Although that said the guys behind Metal Gear Solid 2, had no problems.

If I was designing a console, I would design one that had at least some upgrade potential. Its like the PS1. Wouldn't it be great if we could replace that punitive 2x CD-Rom drive with something faster. Imagine the time saved on loads.

I think it would be great if consoles were in part upgradable. More RAM or faster chips. Games could then be programmed to offer more performance depending on the upgrades. PC games do that already anyways.

For me though the ultimate console, would have to be built with OpenGL programming in mind. Imagine a supremely powerful machine that is a sinch to program. Have you ever tried programming DirectX? I spent more time tearing my hair out. Thank God its grown back. Can you imagine the poor guys that have to program for the XBox. At least with a PC you have the choice to ditch DirectX

<b><font color=red>-<AJ :tongue: >-</font color=red><b>

Zenthar

Distinguished
Most of them are upgradable, even the old SNES had an expansion slot under it, but I never saw any use of it. Here in America, we rarey see upgrades for our game consoles because there isn't a great market for it. In japan many people would buy nearly anything so most of the weird upgrades are found there. Besside the N64's memory upgrade unit did anyone ever found an upgrade unit for any onther console?

As for friendlyness toward programmers, I heard the PS2 was a pain compared to the upcomming Game Cube (I prefered the old codename Dolphin). One thing we all learned from Nintendo (with the N64) is that no mrket is won in advance, it mostly depends on game manufacturers so they should watch out.

ajmcgarry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I know what your on about but they were hardly upgrade options. Sure the Megadrive had the MegaCD but that was more another console in itself more than an upgrade.
The Playstation has its paralell slot port at the back but I think even that was dumped at a later revision. It didn't have a whole lot of use though did it.
Yeah Dolphin was a better name. Except for that annoying girl from Nintendo who kept making dolphin noises and doing fish movements with her hands.

As for the N64 memory pack. That was the only proper upgrade I can think of. But it was compulsory rather than optional for games that needed it. I'd prefer to see something a bit more adventurous, like adaptive programming and stuff. Microsoft have the opportunity as DirectX is adaptive to the hardware spec, but it may not be fully used in the XBox.

Role on PS3

<b><font color=red>-<AJ :tongue: >-</font color=red><b>