[SOLVED] Nikon D5200 won't connect to my computer

Bigbanarnia

Honorable
Jun 28, 2015
Hey guys,

So basically I'm trying to connect my Nikon D5200 DSLR camera to my computer (Windows 10), using a mini-USB to USB cable, and when plugging in and turning the camera on nothing appears to happen. I.e, no alert, no device found in device manager, nothing. I've tried different USB ports, testing the USB ports with other devices (they've all worked), updating the port drivers, and plugging in the camera with the same cord to a different PC (which worked). I'm stumped at what my next move is since most posts and articles on Google are on the computer not recognizing the device, which at this point I'd be thrilled to get.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

For the system that is unresponsive to your camera hook up, see if reinstalling your chipset, MEI(assuming you're on an Intel platform) and USB drivers helps the cause. I recall the camera having a utility to manage files from your DSLR(made by Nikon itself), have you tried installing that?

Also, might want to see which version of Windows 10 you're running.

Bigbanarnia

Honorable
Jun 28, 2015
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

For the system that is unresponsive to your camera hook up, see if reinstalling your chipset, MEI(assuming you're on an Intel platform) and USB drivers helps the cause. I recall the camera having a utility to manage files from your DSLR(made by Nikon itself), have you tried installing that?

Also, might want to see which version of Windows 10 you're running.

Cheers for the reply!

I tried all of the above and still nothing. The Nikon software described also didn't find a camera connected :(

I also updated my OS to the most current verson of windows.

The camera does have an SD card however my main focus is not on file transfer, rather to potentially use the camera as a webcam. Whether or not this is possible can be saved for another day - right now I'd just like to focus on getting the camera connected!

Bigbanarnia

Honorable
Jun 28, 2015
Connect the camera to the computer using the supplied UC-E17 USB cable. This is not a standard mini-USB to USB cable.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/UC-E6-UC...-Cord-Nikon-Coolpix-L18-L19-L20-L21/641205845

My bad, I am using that cable, not what I mentioned previously.

I also am convinced its not a cable issue as the camera readily connects to the other PC in the house.

At this point I think I'll just concede to buying a new webcam, but thanks for everyones input!