Jul 12, 2023
First, here are some information about my PC:
Asrock B450M Steel Legend
Ryzen 5 3600
AMD Radeon RX 5600XT (2nd hand, previously I had RX 570 and upgraded to this)
Corsair CV550 Power Supply Unit

The problem is that I randomly lose my display signals (I have 2 monitors by the way). It turns black and suddenly says that no signal is being received. However, the PC is still running. I know this because I was running Valorant once and this happened. Valorant sound was still there, I can still hear the gunshots when i click the mouse and footsteps when I press the keyboard. Another instance was that I was just playing music on Youtube and this happened. The music did not stop though. In all instances this happened, I waited for a long time but the displays did not return. I had to force the PC to restart via the reset button. After resetting, only one display is detected. Moreover, the AMD graphics driver (Adrenalin) is gone. As a solution, I tried reinstalling drivers. I started by using the AMD cleanup utility and reinstalling Adrenalin afterwards. I also installed the latest chipset driver available at the AMD website. I thought this would be enough. However, it happened again. Now I am suspecting that my GPU is defective. Is there any suggestion for how I can deal with this problem?

Perhaps it is worth mentioning that most of my PC parts were bought brand new back in 2021. I only recently bought the RX 5600XT(second hand) as an upgrade.

Solution
Yup, likely a failing GPU. That's the risk of used GPUs; they don't actually cost less, but you just convert some currency into additional risk.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, this is an inappropriate PSU with this GPU (and really, the previous one), so replacing the PSU with something significantly better would eliminate that as a potential problem. Since it ought to have been done under any and all circumstances anyway, it's a real no-brainer.

Jul 12, 2023
The CV550 might be the problem. It's at the low end of the Corsair range and it might be worth upgrading to a Corsair RM-series PSU or similar.
Yeah, this is an inappropriate PSU with this GPU (and really, the previous one), so replacing the PSU with something significantly better would eliminate that as a potential problem. Since it ought to have been done under any and all circumstances anyway, it's a real no-brainer.
With the previous GPU, I had no problem at all. Perhaps it is a power supply problem. However, I don't understand why the graphics driver suddenly uninstalls. And if it is an insufficient power problem, won't it just shut down the whole PC? (I have no idea) Maybe its also worth noting that this problem happened even when PC is in idle. Hence, less power consumed.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
With the previous GPU, I had no problem at all. Perhaps it is a power supply problem. However, I don't understand why the graphics driver suddenly uninstalls. And if it is an insufficient power problem, won't it just shut down the whole PC? (I have no idea) Maybe its also worth noting that this problem happened even when PC is in idle. Hence, less power consumed.

The GPU could also simply be failing. Secondhand GPUs are risky.

But in any case, the PSU is a problematic choice and needed to be replaced even if you had no obvious symptoms. That's the problem with poor PSU choices; they have to be the first thing eliminated when you run into a problem anyway.

Jul 12, 2023
The GPU could also simply be failing. Secondhand GPUs are risky.

But in any case, the PSU is a problematic choice and needed to be replaced even if you had no obvious symptoms. That's the problem with poor PSU choices; they have to be the first thing eliminated when you run into a problem anyway.
I see. I'll try to deal with the PSU. But is there any method I could do so that I could verify if the GPU is the problem?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I see. I'll try to deal with the PSU. But is there any method I could do so that I could verify if the GPU is the problem?

Testing it on an appropriate, working PSU. There's also the option of bringing it to a shop for testing on their hopefully appropriate, working PSUs.

On a fundamental level, any testing of hardware is going to require the proper PSU. A bad battery in my car may not be its primary problem, but I'm not going to get very far in diagnosing the issue unless I have a known battery in there.

If you have a very limited timeframe for a return of this secondhand GPU, I'd probably just go ahead and return it, and get something else when I have the proper PSU ready, rather than risk it being a GPU problem.

Jul 12, 2023
Update: As a temporary solution, I read that i could use the other PCie slot of my motherboard which worked for me. I lost the website where I read it but they had the same idea that it was a power supply issue. So I ordered a brand new Seasonic PX650. I thought this would eliminate the problem. So I put my gpu back in the top PCie slot and connected everything. It was working fine for the first hour. Until the computer suddenly shut down. I tried restarting it, reseating the cables, and putting the gpu back on the lower pcie slot but now the computer does not post.
By the way, I also tried swapping to my old gpu and it works fine.

Is it safe to assume now that it is a gpu problem?