Erik Poerksen

Honorable
Sep 9, 2014
Recently had a lot of troubles with my computer crashing. Thought it might be RAM related or due to my old hard disk. Today I installed a new ssd. When installing I had to remove my video card to access the data port underneath. I noticed the card was really dusty so I sprayed it with compressed air. After reinserting the video card and booting with the new ssd plugged in I ran into a problem. My computer shows no video.

I tried unplugging the ssd
I tried swapping the ram
I tried changing the video cable and monitor
I tried changing the slot on the motherboard for my gpu
I made sure all cables were securely attached
I tried reseting CMOS
My motherboard does not have a video port so I can't check without my video card plugged in

I imagine the problem is perhaps with my graphics card, my RAM, or my motherboard... It should be noted that the ram stick I switched to might have issues... So swapping RAM is not 100% properly tested... But it's the best I could do...

Any ideas? And if it's my motherboard, any suggestions for a new one that works with my specs?

The pc setup:

CPU: I7-3770k
GPU: Asus Gtx 970 strix
PDU: Xfx pro650
MOBO: Asus p8p67 evo
RAM: Corsair vengeance CMY16GX3M2A2400C11A

From everything you are describing, my guess is your video card is causing the problem. Do the GPU fans spin when you boot?

If i were you i would try to borrow a friends video card, just to see if it will boot. I would also try unscrewing your GPU's heatsink to check the graphics chip and replace the thermal paste. Sometimes it can dry out and turn to the consistency of thick clay.

Erik Poerksen

Honorable
Sep 9, 2014
From everything you are describing, my guess is your video card is causing the problem. Do the GPU fans spin when you boot?

If i were you i would try to borrow a friends video card, just to see if it will boot. I would also try unscrewing your GPU's heatsink to check the graphics chip and replace the thermal paste. Sometimes it can dry out and turn to the consistency of thick clay.

Will try that, fans do not spin though!

Erik Poerksen

Honorable
Sep 9, 2014
If the GPU fans do not spin, but the motherboard does light up, then the video card or the 8-Pin PCI power cable from your PSU is likely the problem.

Might be able to borrow my brother's gpu tomorrow. It's pretty late here so will try again when I wake up. I replaced the thermal paste regardless. I don't see anything visibly damaged on the GPU, so that's something atleast.

Erik Poerksen

Honorable
Sep 9, 2014
Bit of post necromancy... But for the sake of posterity I'm updating this post now that I've gotten the new parts...

With a new motherboard, cpu, and ram it works... So it wasn't video card and it wasn't psu. I HIGHLY doubt it was the cpu either... The conclusion is that it was either the mobo or the ram. I'm giving my old cpu and ram to my brother and if it doesn't work with his current machine we can get a specific conclusion as to exactly which parts it was... Will update when he uses them