[SOLVED] No internet on some devices on same WiFi

ngftsa

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
Hi all
So we have a TP link TL-WR740N router and I started observing this issue that the internet would stop on some devices like my laptop or my sister's phone despite staying connected and no amount of reboots of the affected device solved the problem yet the internet was just fine on my phone and only after rebooting the router would the internet resume on the former devices. I am suspecting some router configuration for this because we changed houses and therefore the routers recently and haven't experienced a similar problem before. Cheers.

Solution
Check and see if your router has any firmware updates pending. You should also mention how old the router is and how many devices are connected to the router at the same time. What was your router prior to the change?

Lutfij

Titan
Check and see if your router has any firmware updates pending. You should also mention how old the router is and how many devices are connected to the router at the same time. What was your router prior to the change?

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Hi all
So we have a TP link TL-WR740N router and I started observing this issue that the internet would stop on some devices like my laptop or my sister's phone despite staying connected and no amount of reboots of the affected device solved the problem yet the internet was just fine on my phone and only after rebooting the router would the internet resume on the former devices. I am suspecting some router configuration for this because we changed houses and therefore the routers recently and haven't experienced a similar problem before. Cheers.
Verify what channel the router is on. If it is on channel 13 that could be the problem. Not all devices support that channel. Set to 1, 6, or 11.

ngftsa

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
Verify what channel the router is on. If it is on channel 13 that could be the problem. Not all devices support that channel. Set to 1, 6, or 11.
channel is set to auto. What are the effects of setting to a single channel like 1, 6 or 11? Is there a limit to how many devices can there be in a single channel?

ngftsa

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
Ok I will. It is about 6 years old but it hasn't been used alot. My last router was given by my isp

kanewolf

Titan
channel is set to auto. What are the effects of setting to a single channel like 1, 6 or 11? Is there a limit to how many devices can there be in a single channel?
Auto could allow the router to use channel 13 depending on your country. Channels 1, 6, or 11 are world wide. Manually setting the channel is the only sure way to eliminate a channel problem.