No LAN for Diablo III Too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeAuMaN

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
If I recall correctly... wasn't there a newsbit a while back about how Battle.net was going to start "monetizing" certain features? I'm curious as to what features they're going to monetize... because if it's anything related to what we now consider basic online play from WarCraft III and Diablo II... cutting out LAN is a real good way to get everyone to pay for it.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
NOT cool. What about those of us who LAN w/o internet? I have been to a number of LANs which didn't have an internet connection. And the 2 most anticipated games by us are only going to be playable on internet capable LANs only??? (not to mention those stuck on dialup and have a LAN at home) NOT cool at ALL. That smells like 5 sale losses right there, and 1 download from the pirate community. Marvelous!

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
First the butchering of the Warcraft world by the greasy claws of greed and now this?

So much for me buying starcraft 2/Diablo 3. Stop smoking the weed blizzard.

h0llow

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
uhh correct me if im wrong but can't people just make a dummy server out of a pc somehow anyways? even though it'd take work to do it, a pc, and probably some hair yanking. then surely can't be too bad.. hm.. don't know. never truly played on a LAN before really so i can't speak out. has to be some sort of way though.

ph3412b07

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
First there's no LAN support, then eventually Battle.net is going to have a monthly fee. Obviously they'd lose everything if they didn't offer free Battle.net play at first...to hook in the suckers. I'm done with Blizzard, they're not getting a cent more out of me.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Congratulations pirates. You managed to convince Blizzard that in order to secure revenue from these two games and fight piracy they need to force customers to use Battle.net to authenticate each game. I find it even more ironic that the people here at Toms Hardware get mad at this while at the same time admit and boast about their illegal downloading habits whenever TPB or RIAA articles come up. You keep breaking into my house I'll get a nice fancy alarm. You don't have the right to get pissed about the alarm. Only the neighbors who get woken up by the alarm have the right to get pissed. You thieves need to sit here and reap what you sowed. You've ruined it for the legitimate buyers.

efeat

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
Well, at least this makes my game purchasing decisions rather simple. Every couple weeks, me and 4-5 other guys get together and spend a day lanning. If Blizzard no longer supports LAN games, then I have no choice but to no longer support Blizzard. It's as simple as that.

chripuck

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Congratulations pirates. You managed to convince Blizzard that in order to secure revenue from these two games and fight piracy they need to force customers to use Battle.net to authenticate each game. I find it even more ironic that the people here at Toms Hardware get mad at this while at the same time admit and boast about their illegal downloading habits whenever TPB or RIAA articles come up. You keep breaking into my house I'll get a nice fancy alarm. You don't have the right to get pissed about the alarm. Only the neighbors who get woken up by the alarm have the right to get pissed. You thieves need to sit here and reap what you sowed. You've ruined it for the legitimate buyers.[/citation]

They're not doing this for anti-piracy. If that was all they were worried about they could add an internet authentication method to the code but still allow LAN play. You'd still have to have an internet connection to LAN but once you authenticate you'd be fine. I agree with another poster, this is the first step towards some sort of pay service.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Leaving out the LAN feature means i cant run any 50+ LAN any more since the place where i host them has a really crappy internet connection which really should not be used for anything at all if possible.

I get that it is a way to make pirating software harder but cant they just force you to i register at battle.net and verify before you are able to setup a local server?

This just forces me to create a dummy battle.net server and run from there which would be against the eula i guess.
However there is no way i want to stop hosting my LAN's and i would prefer to play (and therefore host) at least starcraft 2 there.

G

When Blizzard spend some of their billions made with Wow on a server in Australia so the ping's aren't 200+ then it 'might' be worthwhile, until then I wont return to battle net or purchase anything new from them. I'll continue to play D2 on a LAN with mates

Anyone remember you could play starcraft with 1 cd for 3 players on a lan

rockabye

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I agree with mcnuggetofdeath.
I wanted to get it too, but it's been so long that I first heard about it that I just don't give a crap anymore.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
i haven't been to a LAN cafe in a long time, but the ones I went to charged you extra for a computer with net access. IT DOESN'T NEED THE NET, so why make it DEPENDENT ON THE NET! shall we make pocket calculators require A NET CONNECTION TO FUNCTION?!?!?

[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Congratulations pirates. You managed to convince Blizzard that in order to secure revenue from these two games and fight piracy they need to force customers to use Battle.net to authenticate each game. I find it even more ironic that the people here at Toms Hardware get mad at this while at the same time admit and boast about their illegal downloading habits whenever TPB or RIAA articles come up. You keep breaking into my house I'll get a nice fancy alarm. You don't have the right to get pissed about the alarm. Only the neighbors who get woken up by the alarm have the right to get pissed. You thieves need to sit here and reap what you sowed. You've ruined it for the legitimate buyers.[/citation]

what if your alarm went off every time you came home? no matter what? yet when a burglar came, they just switched off your power and stopped it from going off? would you be pissed off then? we get angry about DRM cause in general, it has more negative effects on legitimate buyers than pirates, at the very best, it just puts everyone in the same boat as pirates, effectively treating us all like criminals. most DRM solutions are the equivalent to "whats that? someone murdered someone with a gun? well, guns are illegal now. huh? a drink driver caused an accident? fine, will ban drinking... and cars..."

even more infuriating in this case, is that blizzard - which must be the richest company in the world cause of WoW - just wants everyone to connect to battlenet so they can make money off advertising, and control, or at least keep an eye on what everyone is doing. i mean, they are as bad as apple.

zaam

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
Dang. I remember the original Starcraft let you use 1 copy to install it onto 8 PCs so you could LAN with your buddies. Ah... those were the good ol' days.

Quitoman

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
Who the hell ever plays Diablo games over LAN anyway? It's hilarious to read comments like "So no starcraft 2 for me and now no diablo 3 for me either? Oh well." when really they're just crying inside and are going to buy it when it comes out anyway.

wasteoftime

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008
ZOMG NO LAN?!?!?!?!?! HOW COULD THEY!!!! What year is it? They're probably not going to provide glide driver support for 3dfx cards either.

The twelve of you that might not buy it because it lacks LAN support will be far outweighed by the ten million people that are going to buy it regardless. It's not like they cut the real multiplayer or single player out. Blizzard learned a long time ago (when they released WoW) where the real cash is.

lordfakie

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
A major group of people who can afford to buy these expensive games, doesn't have much time to play them online.(one to 3 hours a week its far from enough) So we make LAN party's to consolidate time with friends and play the games we love without becoming loners.

I really looked foward for these to titles, but it semms I will only download them to watch them and finish some how the single player. at least for Starcraft.
Too bad blizzard, you just loss te sell's for my LAN party's team on both games. so much greed!

Quitoman

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
[citation][nom]wasteoftime[/nom]ZOMG NO LAN?!?!?!?!?! HOW COULD THEY!!!! What year is it? They're probably not going to provide glide driver support for 3dfx cards either. The twelve of you that might not buy it because it lacks LAN support will be far outweighed by the ten million people that are going to buy it regardless. It's not like they cut the real multiplayer or single player out. Blizzard learned a long time ago (when they released WoW) where the real cash is.[/citation]

I agree with you 100%

oh I and I like how some of these crybabies gave me thumbs down...

Quitoman

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
[citation][nom]lordfakie[/nom]A major group of people who can afford to buy these expensive games, doesn't have much time to play them online.(one to 3 hours a week its far from enough) So we make LAN party's to consolidate time with friends and play the games we love without becoming loners.I really looked foward for these to titles, but it semms I will only download them to watch them and finish some how the single player. at least for Starcraft.Too bad blizzard, you just loss te sell's for my LAN party's team on both games. so much greed![/citation]

I'm sorry but that doesn't make any sense. If you don't have time to play it online, how the hell does organizing a LAN party take less time?

lordfakie

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Blizzard just want to have everybody locked alone in their homes while they secretly take over the world or over all the single women out there.

I discovered it...

Status
Not open for further replies.