[SOLVED] No Modem or Ethernet Port: What to do to obtain wired connection?

ttreyy

Honorable
Dec 25, 2018
Before reading; my roommates and I are all on an eSports team for our college and need stable connections.

I'm moving into my apartment soon. My roommates are already there so they showed me around the place. We did tour the place 6 months ago, made sure each room had ethernet ports, and committed to the place. Fast forward to the move in weekend, the complex has changed providers and no longer have ethernet running to the bottom floors (which blows my mind) and removed the ethernet ports. Although I have not tested the WiFi connection and stability, is there any way I can achieve a wired connection?
Let me say this, however. The top 3 rooms have 2 ethernet ports in each of them. I would like to avoid running a long cable downstairs.

So I have a few questions:
- Can I use a powerline adapter through one of those ports rather than a modem (since one does not exist in the apartment)? Essentially replacing the modem by using one of the ports up stairs. Or would this be totally up to how the apartment is built?
- Is there any other options other than running a long cable down from the rooms?

Solution
Powerline is certainly one option, but the more complexity there is to the wiring the performance starts to degrade. Wouldnt hurt to give it a shot.
Other than that, a really nice mesh network? Might end up being better than powerline.
Given your use case, id experiment and settle on what works best for your specific building.

A side note, if you committed to this place before the ethernet removal you might be able to leverage that as part of your rental conditions. However, if its anything like renting around where I went to college, they would happily find someone to take your place if you start making demands.
Powerline is certainly one option, but the more complexity there is to the wiring the performance starts to degrade. Wouldnt hurt to give it a shot.
Other than that, a really nice mesh network? Might end up being better than powerline.
Given your use case, id experiment and settle on what works best for your specific building.

A side note, if you committed to this place before the ethernet removal you might be able to leverage that as part of your rental conditions. However, if its anything like renting around where I went to college, they would happily find someone to take your place if you start making demands.

Reactions: ttreyy
Solution

ttreyy

Honorable
Dec 25, 2018

Thank you so much for the reply. I'm definitely going to experiment when I get there, I was just seeing if there were to be any other options than what I had in mind. Also I am definitely going to ask them about the removal of the port to use as leverage if I see no success. Thank you again.