deanmrd

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2015
SPECS
Motherboard : GA-Z170XP-SLI
intel I7 6700k LPG 1151
Gpu: GTX 970
windows 10 home

PC is my daughters computer, was working the night before all ok and ok sense it was purchased in 2015. when she came to use it the next day it had no power, Discharged pc completely still no power tried different cable. Ordered new power supply same 750w PSU that was in the pc, plug in new PSU to the correct connections CPU mark on cable and GPU marked on cable.

Could this be anything else apart from a motherboard fault.

Thanks in advance

DeanO

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
SPECS
Motherboard : GA-Z170XP-SLI
intel I7 6700k LPG 1151
Gpu: GTX 970
windows 10 home

PC is my daughters computer, was working the night before all ok and ok sense it was purchased in 2015. when she came to use it the next day it had no power, Discharged pc completely still no power tried different cable. Ordered new power supply same 750w PSU that was in the pc, plug in new PSU to the correct connections CPU mark on cable and GPU marked on cable.

Could this be anything else apart from a motherboard fault.

Thanks in advance

DeanO
Do you mean that nothing happens when power switch is turned on? Are there no LEDs illuminated ? No fans running?

deanmrd

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2015
>Could this be anything else apart from a motherboard fault.

Find out. Take MB & new PSU out of case, remove everything except one RAM stick in A2, and use MB's HDMI port. Short MB's power switch pins to power-on. If it still doesn't start, there's not much left to guess.

Oh, right, try different AC outlet.
If I remove the MB from the case to test, am I able to power without cpu fan as it's currently has a radiator no cpu fans.

Q :could it be the cpu? if not memory

Thanks

Dean

baboma

Notable
Nov 3, 2022
>If I remove the MB from the case to test, am I able to power without cpu fan as it's currently has a radiator no cpu fans.

Remove radiator along with MB/PSU.

>Q :could it be the cpu? if not memory

When troubleshooting, you assign a probability to all potential causes. Of the three, MB is highest, then RAM, then CPU. TS priority then goes in that order.

If i7 was being passively cooled, thermal death may be a cause, and may merit higher probability. Was CPU running at motherboard's default (unlimited) power limits?

When thinking about replacement, you assign priority in order of cost: MB is probably cheapest, then RAM, then CPU. Replacement priority also follows that order.

Reactions: deanmrd

deanmrd

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2015
>If I remove the MB from the case to test, am I able to power without cpu fan as it's currently has a radiator no cpu fans.

Remove radiator along with MB/PSU.

>Q :could it be the cpu? if not memory

When troubleshooting, you assign a probability to all potential causes. Of the three, MB is highest, then RAM, then CPU. TS priority then goes in that order.

If i7 was being passively cooled, thermal death may be a cause, and may merit higher probability. Was CPU running at motherboard's default (unlimited) power limits?

When thinking about replacement, you assign priority in order of cost: MB is probably cheapest, then RAM, then CPU. Replacement priority also follows that order.
checked both memory in slot 2 of the motherboard still no power, removed the heat sink from the CPU and thermal paste was still tacky but looked crusty around the edges, But look ok once cleaned it off with some isopropyl alcohol.

Got another MB coming tomorrow as it going to be the MB or CPU.

Thanks

Dean

Especially here as the 6700 won’t support windows 11. At this point you could for example spend around 70 bucks on a ryzen 3600 and maybe 100 or a little less on a motherboard and almost have a complete system that supports windows 11 and would still let you go to ryzen 5000 series. Just as an example.