Status
Not open for further replies.

anathema12345

Honorable
Dec 11, 2014
Well, here is the situation. I have got an Asus GTX 980Ti Strix GPU and it perfectly outputs signal through displayport cable to the monitor. Problem pops up when I connect HDMI to monitor and there is no signal at all! So I basically have the error “No signal detected” on screen when connecting graphics card to the monitor using HDMI cable.

Currently running windows 10 home edition and updated GPU to the latest firmware. Restarted PC a couple of times, tried 4 different HDMI cables, no luck. Also turned off and unplugged the monitor power cable for long enough time, that didn’t work either.

I am wanting to setup multiple displays, so need the HDMI to work.

I was wondering if anyone of you gentlemen could help me out.

Some monitors have a weird way to detect they're connected to a GPU, so I'd suggest you manually go into your monitor menu and tell it to switch to HDMI and vice versa. There's usually a shortcut for that with one of the secondary buttons.

If that doesn't solve it right away, then if could be the HDMI port just going kaput.

Cheers!

Reactions: anathema12345

anathema12345

Honorable
Dec 11, 2014
Are you using a Displayport cable to HDMI or an HDMI cable both ends from the GPU output?

Alternatively, am I reading this problem totally incorrectly?

Thanks for the prompt reply. Sorry I should’ve mentioned that earlier. I connected GPU’s HDMI OUT to monitor’s HDMI IN port using HDMI cable (both ends).

anathema12345

Honorable
Dec 11, 2014
Some monitors have a weird way to detect they're connected to a GPU, so I'd suggest you manually go into your monitor menu and tell it to switch to HDMI and vice versa. There's usually a shortcut for that with one of the secondary buttons.

If that doesn't solve it right away, then if could be the HDMI port just going kaput.

Cheers!

Thanks for the input. I already tried to manually override the monitor to switch into the port that the HDMI cable is connected to. No luck though

This is an old weird behaviour with nVidia cards that irked me to no end, but give it a try:

Connect the HDMI and restart the computer without disconnecting it. Make sure you only have to click "Intro/Enter" to restart or it will be a problem, haha.

Cheers!

anathema12345

Honorable
Dec 11, 2014
This is an old weird behaviour with nVidia cards that irked me to no end, but give it a try:

Connect the HDMI and restart the computer without disconnecting it. Make sure you only have to click "Intro/Enter" to restart or it will be a problem, haha.

Cheers!

Thanks mate but I didn’t quite get that. What do you mean when you say click “Intro/Enter” to restart?

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Sometimes the graphics card gets stuck outputting through either one of the HDMI/Display Ports etc or the monitor might be a bit fussy on how it picks up a new signal.
I have had a similar problem to you but managed to sort it thankfully so I hope this helps.

Steps to follow -

Switch your PC off firstly.
Connect both the HDMI lead and Display Port leads from your graphics card to your monitor so that the monitor has two potential inputs simultaneously.
Boot the PC and now the monitor should pick up at least one of the signals from either the HDMI or Display Port.
In your case it is more likely to pick up the Display Port as you said that works OK.
Use the OSD (On Screen Display) on your monitor to select the input and switch it to whichever one you prefer - you said it wasn't displaying through the HDMI port on your original post so I am presuming this is your desired one.
If the screen just goes blank or displays 'no signal' then go to 'Setting the HDMI input' steps below - but switch the PC off again first. You might just have to do this via the PC's front power switch as you will have no display if this is the case.

If you do get a signal working through the HDMI port this way it means the graphics card and monitor should have switched to the HDMI port. If so switch the PC off and unplug the Display Port lead both ends and boot it up.
If it works consistently then you have sorted it and can put the hammer away now.
If not then read on.....

Setting the HDMI input -

If it doesn't work through the HDMI input from the OSD on the monitor still then switch it off, leaving both the HDMI and Display Port leads plugged in both ends, and start the PC up.
It should work out of the Display Port as normal but if you get 'no signal' still then use the monitor's OSD to reset it so that it picks up its default input as normal when it worked before.
If you are still getting 'no signal' after doing this then unplug the HDMI lead both from the graphics card and monitor, reset the monitor via its OSD and boot up with just the Display Port connected to go back to when it was alright.

With both the HDMI and Display Port connected go into Windows and open 'Settings' (the little cog icon on the Start menu) , System, Display.
At the top of this page you should see 'rearrange your displays' and a window with a rectangle '1' and '2' in it to represent dual display. Note which numbered rectangle is highlighted in the window - either rectangle 1 or 2.
This is assuming Windows has picked up the two outputs of HDMI and Display Port & that your graphics card is feeding both signals.
Scroll to the bottom of the same page to 'Multiple Displays' and there should be a pull down menu with a few options including 'Show Only on 1' and 'Show Only on 2'.
Change this option to correspond with the rectangle number that is highlighted in the previous step at the top of the page - either 1 or 2.
This hopefully will set your graphics card to permanently display out of just one port and not attempt to activate the other.

If you only see only 1 display at the top of the screen in Settings with '1' in it then I'm not sure to be honest as either the card either isn't outputting via the HDMI at all as the previous poster Yuka said or Windows has problem detecting both inputs simultaneously.

You can undo this step to activate either/both at anytime though if you need to change the display input at a later date.

Hope it helps as I know it's frustrating sometimes!

Andy

anathema12345

Honorable
Dec 11, 2014
No, I'm afraid... I'm starting to think you'll have to just assume your HDMI port is dead. You can always try to use a DP splitter as they can feed 2 1080p monitors.

Cheers!
Thanks for your help mate. I really appreciate it.
I need to connect my 980ti to a 4k sony TV. So I guess I would need a DP to HDMI adapter since the TV has no DP.

anathema12345

Honorable
Dec 11, 2014
What monitor? Is it 4k?

My Samsung 4k monitor will show a No signal message if I attach my Asus Strix GTX 980 to it via HDMI as its not getting the minimum frame rate it requires to run. Display Port can manage it easy

Thanks for the input. Seems like we are both in the same boat. My 980ti feeds a 4k Benq monitor perfectly fine through DP.

anathema12345

Honorable
Dec 11, 2014
Sometimes the graphics card gets stuck outputting through either one of the HDMI/Display Ports etc or the monitor might be a bit fussy on how it picks up a new signal.
I have had a similar problem to you but managed to sort it thankfully so I hope this helps.

Steps to follow -

Connect both the HDMI lead and Display Port leads from your graphics card to your monitor so that the monitor has two potential inputs simultaneously.
Boot the PC and now the monitor should pick up at least one of the signals from either the HDMI or Display Port.
In your case it is more likely to pick up the Display Port as you said that works OK.
Use the OSD (On Screen Display) on your monitor to select the input and switch it to whichever one you prefer - you said it wasn't displaying through the HDMI port on your original post so I am presuming this is your desired one.
If the screen just goes blank or displays 'no signal' then go to 'Setting the HDMI input' steps below - but switch the PC off again first. You might just have to do this via the PC's front power switch as you will have no display if this is the case.

If you do get a signal working through the HDMI port this way it means the graphics card and monitor should have switched to the HDMI port. If so switch the PC off and unplug the Display Port lead both ends and boot it up.
If it works consistently then you have sorted it and can put the hammer away now.
If not then read on.....

Setting the HDMI input -

If it doesn't work through the HDMI input from the OSD on the monitor still then switch it off, leaving both the HDMI and Display Port leads plugged in both ends, and start the PC up.
It should work out of the Display Port as normal but if you get 'no signal' still then use the monitor's OSD to reset it so that it picks up its default input as normal when it worked before.
If you are still getting 'no signal' after doing this then unplug the HDMI lead both from the graphics card and monitor, reset the monitor via its OSD and boot up with just the Display Port connected to go back to when it was alright.

With both the HDMI and Display Port connected go into Windows and open 'Settings' (the little cog icon on the Start menu) , System, Display.
At the top of this page you should see 'rearrange your displays' and a window with a rectangle '1' and '2' in it to represent dual display. Note which numbered rectangle is highlighted in the window - either rectangle 1 or 2.
This is assuming Windows has picked up the two outputs of HDMI and Display Port & that your graphics card is feeding both signals.
Scroll to the bottom of the same page to 'Multiple Displays' and there should be a pull down menu with a few options including 'Show Only on 1' and 'Show Only on 2'.
Change this option to correspond with the rectangle number that is highlighted in the previous step at the top of the page - either 1 or 2.
This hopefully will set your graphics card to permanently display out of just one port and not attempt to activate the other.

If you only see only 1 display at the top of the screen in Settings with '1' in it then I'm not sure to be honest as either the card either isn't outputting via the HDMI at all as the previous poster Yuka said or Windows has problem detecting both inputs simultaneously.

You can undo this step to activate either/both at anytime though if you need to change the display input at a later date.

Andy

Thank you very much Andy for the detailed comment. That means a lot to me.
I`ll give it a go as soon as I get back home. Fingers crossed.

Oh... A 4K TV and a Sony at that!

Sony has a really nasty history of compatibility issues with both nVidia and AMD for their HDMI, for some stupid reason. I think you'll have to take a look at the TV config and disable all "special enhancements" Sony offers for the screen that could be interfering with the HDMI signal. For example: game mode, upscaling, downscaling or weird refresh for the resolution.

Cheers!

anathema12345

Honorable
Dec 11, 2014

Steps to follow -

If not then read on.....

Setting the HDMI input -

Andy

I did exactly as you said Andy. The thing is I see no "Rearrange your display" under display settings. Here is the screenshot (Sorry, couldn`t insert the image here directly): https://pasteboard.co/Ik0KqQu.jpg

anathema12345

Honorable
Dec 11, 2014
Looking at your card, it has

HDMI Output : Yes x 2 (Native) (HDMI 2.0b)
that version of HDMI supports 4k at 60 so it should working.

what version of hdmi does TV support? as if its 1.4, its max is 4k at 30.

My GTX 980ti has only 1 HDMI output which according to the manufacturer supports version 2.0 (Not sure if that`s a or b)
Sony X850D supports HDMI 2.0 full bandwidth as well.

anathema12345

Honorable
Dec 11, 2014
Oh... A 4K TV and a Sony at that!

Sony has a really nasty history of compatibility issues with both nVidia and AMD for their HDMI, for some stupid reason. I think you'll have to take a look at the TV config and disable all "special enhancements" Sony offers for the screen that could be interfering with the HDMI signal. For example: game mode, upscaling, downscaling or weird refresh for the resolution.

Cheers!

I also read about sony TVs compatibility issues. But that doesn`t seem to be the problem here cause even the monitor wont pick up the HDMI signal. I think It has something to do with the graphics card.

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Ok thanks for sharing the screenshot of your PC with the display settings screen.
ON my PC I have a Display Port and HDMI connected simultaneously as the HDMI I use to output 5.1 sound and the picture through the Display Port.
I unplugged one and booted up the PC then went into my display settings.
The screen then looked identical to yours which suggests your HDMI port really is not outputting any signal at all.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.