No sound plays on any program!

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help, as I have a toshiba A60
laptop that has stopped playing sound. It doesn't play any sound in the
media player and even on programs on the internet have have sound it doesn't
play. When I play music this message comes up-
"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with
your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your
computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be
functioning properly."
I think i could have removed the sound device by mistake and I was wandering
if I can get the download from the internet?
Any help would be great!

Hi

Is the Windows Audio Service running?

--

Will Denny
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

"kingbilly1690" <kingbilly1690@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help, as I have a toshiba A60
> laptop that has stopped playing sound. It doesn't play any sound in the
> media player and even on programs on the internet have have sound it
> doesn't
> play. When I play music this message comes up-
> "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with
> your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your
> computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be
> functioning properly."
> I think i could have removed the sound device by mistake and I was
> wandering
> if I can get the download from the internet?
> Any help would be great!

Hi will denny im not that great at the technical side of computers so how do
I no if the windows audio service is running? where do i find it?

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Is the Windows Audio Service running?
>
> --
>

> Will Denny
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>
> "kingbilly1690" <kingbilly1690@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help, as I have a toshiba A60
> > laptop that has stopped playing sound. It doesn't play any sound in the
> > media player and even on programs on the internet have have sound it
> > doesn't
> > play. When I play music this message comes up-
> > "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with
> > your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your
> > computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be
> > functioning properly."
> > I think i could have removed the sound device by mistake and I was
> > wandering
> > if I can get the download from the internet?
> > Any help would be great!

Hi

From Start>Run type

services.msc

then scroll down the list until you come to the Windows Audio Service. If
'Started' isn't in the Status column, right click on that Service and select
'Start'. If that gives you your audio back, also make sure that the default
setting is operational. Right click on the Service and select Properties,
then make sure that the drop down menu is set to Automatic. If not, reset
it then reboot your system and make sure that the alteration has stuck and
that the Service has started after the reboot.