Jan 11, 2020
My desktop computer doesn't start, and doesn't even show the bios screen, after pressing the keyboard power key.

I was running windows 10 in legacy boot mode. For some reason it would often restart after I clicked shutdown. So last night I pressed the power key on the keyboard to try and get it to power down after it had restarted. It powered down (at least I believe the key was set to power down). But the next time I tried to start it, nothing. I pressed the space bar, and the computer awoke, but nothing came on the screen. The fan comes on, I hear hard drives spin up, but nothing else happens. No bios screen, the monitor only shows "no signal". Not even the caps lock light works.

I'm running it in legacy mode because this computer has three hard drives in it. 2 have win10 from other computers, 1 is centos, and there are probably a couple other partitions of linux in there. The win10 wasn't playing nice having a couple win 10 systems in there, so I put it in legacy mode. But without bios starting now I can't get to any of them. Any suggestions besides buying another cheap computer to access my accumulating hard drives?

Jan 11, 2020
OK, to answer my own question, it seems that to recover bios from this problem i just needed to remove the CMOS battery off the motherboard for 5 minutes, then plug it all back together, and the computer started with a bios message saying the clock had lost power. Then I was back into bios, and back into the computer.

I would welcome any comments on how I could have done it better, or avoided it, or even a better way of setting up multiple OS's so they don't conflict so badly.