Question Noctua NH-U12A recommended for i7 13700k? (video rendering)

Jul 26, 2024
I acquired the i7 13700k and I would prefer to cool it with air, I was interested in this cooler because of its size and according to the Noctua website it is compatible.
My question is, will they be enough for video rendering tasks like in Cinema 4D or After Effects?

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My question is, will they be enough for video rendering tasks like in Cinema 4D or After Effects?
Depends on you, really. Like, what you're comfortable with and can tolerate with regards to operating thermals and acoustics, regardless of the cpu running within Intel spec.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/deepcool-ak620-digital/7.html

(don't mind it being about the AK620, the U12A is listed in the charts too.)

There's also the matter of if you're currently overclocking the cpu or not - if you are using a Z-series board, it most likely is OCed. Update bios, if you haven't done it lately, as board vendors have released updates that set the board to run at Intel defaults. It looks like you've not seen the recent news about 13th and 14th gen problems - the bios update is a stop gap.

Reactions: altrobot
Jul 26, 2024
Depends on you, really. Like, what you're comfortable with and can tolerate with regards to operating thermals and acoustics, regardless of the cpu running within Intel spec.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/deepcool-ak620-digital/7.html

(don't mind it being about the AK620, the U12A is listed in the charts too.)

There's also the matter of if you're currently overclocking the cpu or not - if you are using a Z-series board, it most likely is OCed. Update bios, if you haven't done it lately, as board vendors have released updates that set the board to run at Intel defaults. It looks like you've not seen the recent news about 13th and 14th gen problems - the bios update is a stop gap.

With an undervolt at 200w it says 75c, that's okay, right? perhaps with a contact frame it will even lower some degree.

I haven't bought the motherboard yet. I am considering the ASUS ProArt B760 or MSI MAG B760, are they a good choice?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I haven't bought the motherboard yet. I am considering the ASUS ProArt B760 or MSI MAG B760, are they a good choice?
Sorry, I can't say. I've not seen any B760 roundup/reviews from Hardware Unboxed. That's where I usually get VRM reviews from. Plus, there's a bit of personal choice involved when selecting a motherboard - besides the VRM design/cooling - boards are also about the set of features they offer, and everyone doesn't share the same needs/wants.

Jul 26, 2024
Sorry, I can't say. I've not seen any B760 roundup/reviews from Hardware Unboxed. That's where I usually get VRM reviews from. Plus, there's a bit of personal choice involved when selecting a motherboard - besides the VRM design/cooling - boards are also about the set of features they offer, and everyone doesn't share the same needs/wants.
It's true, I'll have to look up information about those motherboards.