[SOLVED] Noctua nh-u12s vs Ryzen 3900x default cpu cooler

Feb 28, 2020
Hi guys.

I guess I think I know what will be the answer but if you were me, when you buy amd ryzen 3900x which CPU cooler would you use, Noctua nh-u12s or the default cpu cooler that comes with ryzen 3900x with leds?

As I think your answers will be Noctua nh-u12s, can I add leds system to that cpu cooler fan?

Thanks in advance!!

Solution
It's not just "safe", it's the default configuration for basically all Ryzen motherboards. The problem isn't whether or not it's safe, the problem is that with it enabled, if you lack sufficient cooling, you'll probably have WORSE performance than with it disabled. If you run the stock cooler on ANY Ryzen platform, I would highly recommend DISABLING PBO or PBO2.

XFR2, the default AMD boost profile however can be left enabled with the stock cooler, but even so, without better cooling it will STILL probably have issues. The Wraith coolers, all of them, just are not good enough for the CPUs they are paired with. If they moved each cooler down a tier and required the higher core count CPUs to have aftermarket cooling, then it MIGHT be...
No, you can't "add LEDs system to that CPU cooler fan". Noctua coolers do not support any LED or RGB lighting, at all.

Furthermore, neither the stock cooler NOR the NH-U12S is a very good choice for that CPU. They are simply not good enough if you want to see full boost profile performance from the 3900x, especially if you plan to leave PBO2 enabled.

This would be a FAR better choice.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright ARO-M14G 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler (€73.00 @ Amazon Espana)
Total: €73.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-10 07:55 CEST+0200

Feb 28, 2020
No, you can't "add LEDs system to that CPU cooler fan". Noctua coolers do not support any LED or RGB lighting, at all.

Furthermore, neither the stock cooler NOR the NH-U12S is a very good choice for that CPU. They are simply not good enough if you want to see full boost profile performance from the 3900x, especially if you plan to leave PBO2 enabled.

This would be a FAR better choice.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright ARO-M14G 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler (€73.00 @ Amazon Espana)
Total: €73.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-10 07:55 CEST+0200

Thanks for your answer @Darkbreeze. I understand that PBO2 Precision Boost Overdrive is a overclock type. I didn't know that even existed. Is it safe to enable that feature?

Thanks for the info, I will have to upgrade cooler to one that supports PBO2, in this case Thermalright ARO-M14G 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler

Thanks a lot for the info!!

It's not just "safe", it's the default configuration for basically all Ryzen motherboards. The problem isn't whether or not it's safe, the problem is that with it enabled, if you lack sufficient cooling, you'll probably have WORSE performance than with it disabled. If you run the stock cooler on ANY Ryzen platform, I would highly recommend DISABLING PBO or PBO2.

XFR2, the default AMD boost profile however can be left enabled with the stock cooler, but even so, without better cooling it will STILL probably have issues. The Wraith coolers, all of them, just are not good enough for the CPUs they are paired with. If they moved each cooler down a tier and required the higher core count CPUs to have aftermarket cooling, then it MIGHT be passable, but they are not going to do that so it's pointless to even discuss.

With that cooler, or any of these, you should be good to go for full PBO boost or decent manual overclocking.

Noctua NH-D14 (Replace stock fans with NF-A14 industrialPPC 2000rpm)
Noctua NH-D15/D15 SE-AM4
Noctua NH-D14 (With original fans)
Thermalright Silver arrow IB-E Extreme
Cryorig R1 Ultimate or Universal
Thermalright Legrand Macho RT
Phanteks PH-TC14PE (BK,BL, OR or RD)
Thermalright Macho X2
Deepcool Assassin III
Thermalright Macho rev. C
Thermalright Macho rev.B
Thermalright ARO-M14G (Ryzen only)
Thermalright Macho direct
SilentiumPC Fortis 3 HE1425
Deepcool Assassin II
Be Quiet Dark rock Pro 4

Reactions: knopfler1980
Solution
Feb 28, 2020

XFR2, the default AMD boost profile however can be left enabled with the stock cooler, but even so, without better cooling it will STILL probably have issues. The Wraith coolers, all of them, just are not good enough for the CPUs they are paired with. If they moved each cooler down a tier and required the higher core count CPUs to have aftermarket cooling, then it MIGHT be passable, but they are not going to do that so it's pointless to even discuss.

With that cooler, or any of these, you should be good to go for full PBO boost or decent manual overclocking.

Noctua NH-D14 (Replace stock fans with NF-A14 industrialPPC 2000rpm)
Noctua NH-D15/D15 SE-AM4
Noctua NH-D14 (With original fans)
Thermalright Silver arrow IB-E Extreme
Cryorig R1 Ultimate or Universal
Thermalright Legrand Macho RT
Phanteks PH-TC14PE (BK,BL, OR or RD)
Thermalright Macho X2
Deepcool Assassin III
Thermalright Macho rev. C
Thermalright Macho rev.B
Thermalright ARO-M14G (Ryzen only)
Thermalright Macho direct