Question Noise from HDD, anything to be concerned about?

Komirai

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2013
Honestly, not sure what to think but just want to see what people think of this noise coming from where my two HDD drives are coming from. Never notice this noise till now, and now I've noticed it I'm a bit conscious about it. Is it just the HDD ticking over or is it something else? You can feel it through the case and anything it is currently standing on, maybe in gaming sessions I would probably just not even notice it, but otherwise could be annoying.

PC Case: H9 Flow, installed where the HDD's should go (don't know if this matters).

Almost sounds like a clock ticking.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
If the drive is housing mission critical data, then you'd be best off backing them up on a drive that's disconnected once you've backed up the data.

How old is the hard disk drive in question?

just want to see what people think of this noise coming from where my two HDD drives are coming from.
If you're unable to narrow down which drive between the two the noise is coming from, roll up a sheet of A4 paper, hold one end to your ear and then use the other end to probe for the source of the noise.

You can run Crystal Disk on your drives to see if anything shows up abnormally.

Komirai

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2013
If the drive is housing mission critical data, then you'd be best off backing them up on a drive that's disconnected once you've backed up the data.

How old is the hard disk drive in question?

just want to see what people think of this noise coming from where my two HDD drives are coming from.
If you're unable to narrow down which drive between the two the noise is coming from, roll up a sheet of A4 paper, hold one end to your ear and then use the other end to probe for the source of the noise.

You can run Crystal Disk on your drives to see if anything shows up abnormally.
Oh, not housing anything important to be honest. So I really don't care if anything goes missing on it.

I did forget to mention that, but it is pretty old it came over from my previous build and it is Western Digital Black 2TB drive and it is at least 8-9 yrs old around there, but honestly never noticed this noise EVER. Not in the previous case or this case for that matter, well not for the first week or so I've been using it, it's like now I noticed it I can't un-notice it kinda of thing going on right now.

Also, what does Crystal Disk do? Is it doing some sort of stress test?

Komirai

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2013
UPDATE: Both drives are good, apart from 1, that has a caution on it.

ID: 05
Attribute Name: Reallocated Sectors Count
Current: 161
Worst: 161
Threshold: 140
Raw Values: 00000000047C

The other exact same HDD values are at: