Nokia: Samsung Take Note, Next Gen Lumia Coming Soon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]Cant wait to see the new offerings. I will definitely be getting a WP8 device for Christmas, but it will have to be under $500 retail, duel core, minimum 1GB of ram, minimum 8 hours of battery, and support an SD card. It does not have to be super thin, it does not have to be the best screen on earth; just give me capacity to multitask, space for all my music and documents so I don't have to rely as much on skydrive (or rather use skydrive like a sync service like I do on my computers instead of a storage place), and an expanded office suite so that I can use my phone to basically replace my netbook.That is all I care about; Just give me a device powerful enough to replace my phone, mp3 player, and netbook with a single device in a decent budget. If you can replace my GPS then all the better![/citation]
Fully agreed. I have to mention though, Nokia screens are actually the best screens to use outside.

dauntekong

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
lol Samsung is taking note... The Galaxy "Note 2" that is... Yes Nokia you have your own vision of innovation. But your focus is narrow... Samsung is not just cell phone, they are house hold GE. If you can be broad like this, I'll thumbs up for you too. Just dont do what Apple does and cries about it to the judge.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]With Windows Phone, it's not up to the carrier at all. Microsoft controls WP, same as Apple controls iOS. The only mobile OS that the carriers actually have control over, is Android. Microsoft made the decision not to "upgrade" WP7 phones to WP8 themselves.[/citation]
That is partially true. For example, the "disappearing keyboard" hotfix was released by MS, but ATT never pushed it out, while other carriers did. Some got around this by using a registry editor to change the carrier from ATT-US to a canadian carriers, update, then back to ATT.

I've heard that MS is now working to bypass the carriers for updates, though.

_TuxUser_

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Other people have pointed out quite the opposite, apart from a few tech-heads that know their OS's, the vast majority of phone buyers buy a PHONE, bigger screen, slimmer cases, better cameras, etc. If samsung had pushed WP7 at the same rate as Android the take up would have been higher....Nokias has a lacklustre image problem, not its actual technical capabilities, the phones are pretty good but when compared next to a SGS3 people go for that. If the SGS3 had WP7 on it then it would sell like hot cakes too...If Nokia can pull themselves up by the bootstraps and get back in the game with some game changing hardware then WP8 will be carried along for the ride, if that happens you will see Samsung also start to push some WP8 handsets too[/citation]

During the two quarters when Nokia sold both Lumia (world wide and heavy advertisement and a lot fo free stuff like Xbox 360) and N9 (no advertisement at all and only on small markets in limited amounts), the N9 managed to outsell all the Lumia models together at a rate of 3:1. This really shows that people don't like WP and another proof of that is that Nokias sales of smartphones in US fell with 2/3 after they started to sell Lumia (of course those Lumia before 900 was just bad hardware made by microsoft & co).

WP has been advertised a lot more this year than the year before, and during the last count, WP had fallen from 2.2% of the market to 1.9%. It's obvious that people do not want WP, they mauy be happy to use ms-windows on their computer, but they want something more useful on their phone (of course there are some how will disagree with me, specially those who love microsoft).

Sure you can fool people with statistics, like with the sold Lumia units in China, it may look nice on the paper that Lumia is selling well, but the Lumia models sold in China don't run WP, but the more liked Symbian, maybe there is something wrong with the Chinese who don't seem to like WP, but I doubt they are the only ones.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I'm looking to get my first smart phone when one comes out with Win 8 on it, that I like.

I'm not sure why, but I like Nokia, and want to buy a Nokia phone. I think part of it is their willingness to jump in with Microsoft and help try to make Windows a decent option for smart phone users. I really, really hope they come out with a fabulous phone though, I don't want to lose capabilities because of my OS choice - and, bottom line, I won't, I'll get a different phone.

I hope they've put their development money where their mouth is, with this little taunt.

;)

G

I'm a former owner of a iPhone 4 and current owner of a Samsung Galaxy Tab (P1000, the first versions) and ditched my iPhone for a Lumia 800. I did that on a whim and since I'm a MS developer, I thought that it would be great to get in touch with a Windows Phone. Today I feel betrayed by Microsoft and while I do not hate the phone I think it was one of the worst decisions I ever made. I can't keep faith in a company that sells me a phone for U$ 850 (the price of the Lumia here in Brazil, a little lower than an iPhone) and few months later tell me that the new version of their OS won't have compatible Apps with the "old" one (the one I bought as if it was a "prime" phone). I'll NEVER EVER buy another Windows Phone again. Now I'm stuck with a phone that will get nowhere and fade into obscurity. The lesson I've learned is that the only sensible choice is ANDROID. Even with all the fragmentation, and the phones not getting new OS updates (take a look at my own Galaxy Tab, still stuck with Froyo), the App ecosystem is still amazingly rich, and most (almost all) applications will run on my "OLD" phone/tablet. A smart phone today is more about app choice than specs, as most phones/tablets from reliable brands have decent specs. I can update my tablet with a new Launcher and enjoy next to all benefits from newer Android versions. My android tablet can run almost anything that came up to android in the past years, and will probably be able to run next to everything in the years to come. My Windows Phone will be like a brick probably a few months after Windows 8 phones launch. This is a betrayal of trust and I hope Microsoft fails to market windows phones/tablets in all fronts in the years to come. They deserve that for treating me like an idiot. Well, I deserved that too for believing in MS.

[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]If it runs everything great, why should you care so much about specs?Blackberry used to be king. HTC used to be king of the Android/WM world. Motorola's Droid was all the rage. Look where they are now. Being on top at the moment doesn't mean as much in the smartphone market as you think.Even the "infallible" Apple's strength in the smartphone market is not quite what it used to be, although their profits are still quite healthy. They sure do know how to market and lock people in![/citation]
Lemme think on that for a moment. maybe because I would like the phone to be a bit more future-proof than the current crop of Nokia WP, that are being abandoned as we speak because they're not spec-ed right. Or maybe because I would like the phone to have some great screen to boot, latest camera, enough RAM to run some big apps (they may come in the future, you know), SD-card support, etc. Nokia used to make some great hardware, but with the Lumia series I feel like someone decided to hold them back. Hopefully the next gen phones will be better in that respect.
MS needs to quit that stupid "smoked by WP" campaign (or whatever similar thing they might come up to) and focus on real marketing for this OS to take off, otherwise it will be dead in the water, and that would be a shame.

[citation][nom]loudenvier[/nom]I'm a former owner of a iPhone 4 and current owner of a Samsung Galaxy Tab (P1000, the first versions) and ditched my iPhone for a Lumia 800. I did that on a whim and since I'm a MS developer, I thought that it would be great to get in touch with a Windows Phone. Today I feel betrayed by Microsoft and while I do not hate the phone I think it was one of the worst decisions I ever made. I can't keep faith in a company that sells me a phone for U$ 850 (the price of the Lumia here in Brazil, a little lower than an iPhone) and few months later tell me that the new version of their OS won't have compatible Apps with the "old" one (the one I bought as if it was a "prime" phone). I'll NEVER EVER buy another Windows Phone again. Now I'm stuck with a phone that will get nowhere and fade into obscurity. The lesson I've learned is that the only sensible choice is ANDROID. Even with all the fragmentation, and the phones not getting new OS updates (take a look at my own Galaxy Tab, still stuck with Froyo), the App ecosystem is still amazingly rich, and most (almost all) applications will run on my "OLD" phone/tablet. A smart phone today is more about app choice than specs, as most phones/tablets from reliable brands have decent specs. I can update my tablet with a new Launcher and enjoy next to all benefits from newer Android versions. My android tablet can run almost anything that came up to android in the past years, and will probably be able to run next to everything in the years to come. My Windows Phone will be like a brick probably a few months after Windows 8 phones launch. This is a betrayal of trust and I hope Microsoft fails to market windows phones/tablets in all fronts in the years to come. They deserve that for treating me like an idiot. Well, I deserved that too for believing in MS.[/citation]
Dude, I feel for you, I really do. Truth is, I have never heard of an entire series of phones being dropped so soon after launch. What can I say, focus on developing for android then, and when ((and if) MS pulls their head out of darkness and decides to embrace a stable OS line, you'll give WP another chance. Good luck.

As long as Samsung can produce the majority of components in-house, as they do now, no one other than Apple can usurp them in cost terms.

This is exactly the reason why smaller Android makers such as HTC is suffering losses.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]loudenvier[/nom]I'm a former owner of a iPhone 4 and current owner of a Samsung Galaxy Tab (P1000, the first versions) and ditched my iPhone for a Lumia 800. I did that on a whim and since I'm a MS developer, I thought that it would be great to get in touch with a Windows Phone. Today I feel betrayed by Microsoft and while I do not hate the phone I think it was one of the worst decisions I ever made. I can't keep faith in a company that sells me a phone for U$ 850 (the price of the Lumia here in Brazil, a little lower than an iPhone) and few months later tell me that the new version of their OS won't have compatible Apps with the "old" one (the one I bought as if it was a "prime" phone). I'll NEVER EVER buy another Windows Phone again. Now I'm stuck with a phone that will get nowhere and fade into obscurity. The lesson I've learned is that the only sensible choice is ANDROID. Even with all the fragmentation, and the phones not getting new OS updates (take a look at my own Galaxy Tab, still stuck with Froyo), the App ecosystem is still amazingly rich, and most (almost all) applications will run on my "OLD" phone/tablet. A smart phone today is more about app choice than specs, as most phones/tablets from reliable brands have decent specs. I can update my tablet with a new Launcher and enjoy next to all benefits from newer Android versions. My android tablet can run almost anything that came up to android in the past years, and will probably be able to run next to everything in the years to come. My Windows Phone will be like a brick probably a few months after Windows 8 phones launch. This is a betrayal of trust and I hope Microsoft fails to market windows phones/tablets in all fronts in the years to come. They deserve that for treating me like an idiot. Well, I deserved that too for believing in MS.[/citation]

There is no reason to build WP8 only if your app does not take advantage of it's features (propably not available on the current handsets anyways). WP7.8 will propably get another 100k apps. That said, I do agree that it was a shitty move, but one dictated by the move to the new kernel.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
As long as MS/Nokia don't rely on an inane "windows phone smoked my phone" marketing campaign that fails miserably, I think there might be a chance this time. That being said, I think it's still going to take quite some doing to impact Samsung's hold in the mobile market in any measurable amount anytime soon.

impreza

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Nokia has two very big problem Galaxy S3, HTC One X either of those phones have about 4 times the power of the Lumia 900 so they will have to be a big upgrade just the catch what Android has on offer let along get in front. Not only do they have to be better but they also have to be no more expensive which wont happen being Nokia. Nokia better hope Samsung and HTC don't just modify one of their droids and put wp8 on it. Nokia has a big fight to get back as a serious player in the smart phone world.

Status
Not open for further replies.