Question Non functional DVD drive

qorda

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2013
Hi all
I run win 7 on a dc5800 hp desktop.
lately my DVD drive has stopped working and is able to read neither DVD nor CD though it make a gurr noise when a disc is inserted. I usually don't use it for burning any discs. Occasionally the dvd icon on left of explorer disappears and the icon on clicking "my computer" shows as cd drive rather than dvd drive G.
Some times in such situations clicking on the icon opens the drive with a pop up "insert disc" even when a disc is inside after which the icon disappears and shows up only after uninstalling/reinstalling the drive in device manager
However in most cases the icons show but with disc inserted when I click on it a pop up appears "how would you like to use this disc" with the option "as usb drive" valid but second option "as dvd drive" is greyed out! Clicking on the only available option (as usb) gives message "the disc is write protected".

I am sorry this forum is not allowing me to attach screenshots

The device manager is not showing any problem with HL-DT-ST-DVD Ram GHL-40L ATA device, no yellow mark.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver which system tells me is upto date.
I have also deleted upper and lower filters from the registry but none of these has helped.
All advice will be appreciated.
I am an average PC user so please explain any complex terms in simple language.
Thanks a lot

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
In an optical drive that does both CD and DVD functions, there really are two optical systems since the CD and DVD functions require lasers of different types. From your description it seems at least the DVD parts are not working at all. There also appear to be several other malfunctions. I doubt VERY much that any or all of these can be repaired, even by a pro. COLGeek is right.

Reactions: qorda