Norton

I have a Dim4550 about a yr old. It refuses to run any version of
Norton Anti Virus. Used to work fine.

One day, NAV (2004 Pro) told me it could not download a program update
(virus defs worked). I followed all the directions on the KB even
uninstalling and installing. Gave up.

Uninstalled - took all refs to Norton in registry and re-installed
2002 - same thing after the first day.

Finally I tried the free trial disc with the Dell - "Fatal Error - this
program cannot install due to an error".

I got Symantec Corporate Anti Virus to work, but don't like it. I've
used NAV since version 2000 and prefer it.

Currently have PC CIllin running, but it never seems like it's doing any
work, so I can't tell if it's being useful or not.

I just finished re-installing XP, but same problems with NAV.
Strangely, it worked 2003 and then 2004 Pro ever since I got the
system, but just recently this came up.

Any ideas? Symantec is impossible to contact. I'm only late evening /
nights and can't call from work.
--
Cynthia
Delete REMOVE to mail

> "Cynthia G"

>I have a Dim4550 about a yr old. It refuses to run any version of
>Norton Anti Virus. Used to work fine.

<snip>

>Any ideas? Symantec is impossible to contact. I'm only late evening /
>nights and can't call from work.

I just went through a similar experience with different symptoms. Symantec does
get back to you if you e-mail them, but it may take days. I'd try e-mailing
them with your symptoms. You have to search for a method to e-mail them but
it's somewhere on their support website.

In my case the solution was to uninstall NAV, locate all the files, including
hidden files, with "symantec" in the filename and deleting them, remove all
references to Norton in the registries, then using a further removal tool on
their website.

You didn't mention if you deleted all files with 'symantec" in the filename.
This was the step that I missed the first time through my fix it solution. If
you didn't do this, you might want to retry the uninstall process (again, I
know...) Be sure your computer is set to show all files. In folder options
uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types." Under the "Hidden files"
folder, click "Show hidden files and folders." Then use Symantec as the search
phrase in the filename.

--
"When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."

See how the Pros get more POWER!
http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm

"Alan S. Wales" <powrwrap@aol.compost> wrote in message
> > "Cynthia G"
>
> >I have a Dim4550 about a yr old. It refuses to run any version of
> >Norton Anti Virus. Used to work fine.
>
> <snip>
>
> >Any ideas? Symantec is impossible to contact. I'm only late evening /
> >nights and can't call from work.
>
> I just went through a similar experience with different symptoms. Symantec does
> get back to you if you e-mail them, but it may take days. I'd try e-mailing
> them with your symptoms. You have to search for a method to e-mail them but
> it's somewhere on their support website.
>
> In my case the solution was to uninstall NAV, locate all the files, including
> hidden files, with "symantec" in the filename and deleting them, remove all
> references to Norton in the registries, then using a further removal tool on
> their website.
>
> You didn't mention if you deleted all files with 'symantec" in the filename.
> This was the step that I missed the first time through my fix it solution. If
> you didn't do this, you might want to retry the uninstall process (again, I
> know...) Be sure your computer is set to show all files. In folder options
> uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types." Under the "Hidden files"
> folder, click "Show hidden files and folders." Then use Symantec as the search
> phrase in the filename.
>
> --
> "When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."
>
> See how the Pros get more POWER!
> http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm

I don't know if I deleted *all* those files, but I had the same troubles after a
clean install on a fresh XP with formatted drives, so it's unlikely there were any
symantec files on there that don't come with XP. I tried e-mailin, but no reply
after 3 weeks and I gave up.

Cynthia G wrote:
> > I don't know if I deleted *all* those files, but I had the same troubles after a
> clean install on a fresh XP with formatted drives, so it's unlikely there were any
> symantec files on there that don't come with XP. I tried e-mailin, but no reply
> after 3 weeks and I gave up.

One of the possible problem areas that we have seen with
recent Symantec products is the Updater program itself. In
automatic mode, it updates everything when all that is needed
is the recent virus definition. Best to update manually and
choose exactly what needs to be uploaded.

"Ghostrider" <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in message

> Cynthia G wrote:
> > > I don't know if I deleted *all* those files, but I had the same troubles after
> > clean install on a fresh XP with formatted drives, so it's unlikely there were
any
> > symantec files on there that don't come with XP. I tried e-mailin, but no reply
> > after 3 weeks and I gave up.
>

> One of the possible problem areas that we have seen with
> recent Symantec products is the Updater program itself. In
> automatic mode, it updates everything when all that is needed
> is the recent virus definition. Best to update manually and
> choose exactly what needs to be uploaded.

I also did that for a while, but if I didn't uncheck the program update (which didn't
work) the whole thing would stop. I like letting NAV update automatically and it
*used to work*. Anyone have an AV program that they like to recommend?

Cynthia

"Cynthia G" <cynthiag@canadiensfan.remove.com> wrote in message

> "Ghostrider" <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in message

> > > clean install on a fresh XP with formatted drives, so it's unlikely
there were
> any
> > > symantec files on there that don't come with XP. I tried e-mailin,
but no reply
> > > after 3 weeks and I gave up.
> >

> > One of the possible problem areas that we have seen with
> > recent Symantec products is the Updater program itself. In
> > automatic mode, it updates everything when all that is needed
> > is the recent virus definition. Best to update manually and
> > choose exactly what needs to be uploaded.
> >
> I also did that for a while, but if I didn't uncheck the program update
(which didn't
> work) the whole thing would stop. I like letting NAV update automatically
and it
> *used to work*. Anyone have an AV program that they like to recommend?
>
> Cynthia

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

http://tinyurl.com/2ag2b

Either of these will work just fine depending on your preferences.

Stew

Run symclean to remove all traces of Norton (it's on the Norton CD). Then
retry the installation.

Or, purchase TrendMicro Internet Security 2004 (what used be PC Cillin).
It's one of the best antivirus packages on the market, it's well supported,
and it includes a firewall, anti-spam and other features that cost extra
from Symantec and Network Associates (McAfee).

Edward J. Neth wrote:
> Run symclean to remove all traces of Norton (it's on the Norton CD).
Then
> retry the installation.
>
> Or, purchase TrendMicro Internet Security 2004 (what used be PC
Cillin).
> It's one of the best antivirus packages on the market, it's well
supported,
> and it includes a firewall, anti-spam and other features that cost
extra
> from Symantec and Network Associates (McAfee).

Thanks, I didn't know about symclean. But I had the problem even on a
clean install on a fresh formatted XP re-install. So, I can't figure
out what could be causing it. I'm using Trend Micro now, but I dislike
how I can't tell if it's doing anything. But it has shown one popup
warning - so it seems to be working. I guess I'm just used to how NAV
works and would like to go back to it.
--
Cynthia
Delete REMOVE to mail

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> Run symclean to remove all traces of Norton (it's on the Norton CD). Then
> retry the installation.
>
> Or, purchase TrendMicro Internet Security 2004 (what used be PC Cillin).
> It's one of the best antivirus packages on the market, it's well supported,
> and it includes a firewall, anti-spam and other features that cost extra
> from Symantec and Network Associates (McAfee).

Do you use Trend Micro? Is there a way to make it scan just on select file or folder
(as NAV does if I right click)? I used this feature often, and miss it.

Thank you very much for the reply.

Cynthia

I just got TM Internet Security 2004 myself for my new 8300. NIS and McAfee
both slowed my 3 GHz machine down so I went looking for something else.
Found some great reviews about TM so I got it. Computer now more responsive
without the other bloated AVs.

There is an option "Scan Virus" when I right click on a file.

Mitch

"midway40" <midway40@home.com> wrote in message
> I just got TM Internet Security 2004 myself for my new 8300. NIS and
McAfee
> both slowed my 3 GHz machine down so I went looking for something
else.
> Found some great reviews about TM so I got it. Computer now more
responsive
> without the other bloated AVs.
>
> There is an option "Scan Virus" when I right click on a file.
>
> Mitch

I'm giving NIS 2004 a try again, seems to be working OK so far. But
when I had TM installed - I never got an option on the right click menu
and this annoyed me, maybe I opted out of something in Setup? I don't
know, I'll give it another try if Norton messes up again.

Thanks for the reply.
--
Cynthia
Delete REMOVE to mail