[SOLVED] Not enough unallocated space on the target disk.

Dec 5, 2019
I just got a new SSD and am wanting to boot my OS off of it. I downloaded EaseUS Todo Backup but when I try to do a system clone I get a message reading, "Not enough unallocated space on the target disk. To make sure the boot ability of target disk, please delete partitions on there first." My SSD and the old hard drive that I am trying to clone are both 1 TB but the hard drive has 426 GB free. It contains mostly games/applications. I made 900 GB of storage on the SSD Unallocated, but I still get the same message. Pretty confused and would appreciate any help.

Solution
you don't "make" a specific amount of space unallocated on the other drive.
especially when it's the same size.
you just simply wipe the entire drive clean with zero formatting.

it's probably giving you issues because you are trying to perform a 1:1 clone, which means the non partitioned empty space that is "unallocated" on the SSD has to be the same size or larger than the entire complete size of the HDD.

How much space is currently being taken up on the HDD and how much free space doesn't matter one bit.
because even that free space gets copied over because what the tool is doing is cloning the ENTIRE drive as is, with partitions, formatting and everything.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador

it's probably giving you issues because you are trying to perform a 1:1 clone, which means the non partitioned empty space that is "unallocated" on the SSD has to be the same size or larger than the entire complete size of the HDD.

How much space is currently being taken up on the HDD and how much free space doesn't matter one bit.
because even that free space gets copied over because what the tool is doing is cloning the ENTIRE drive as is, with partitions, formatting and everything.

Reactions: Logsplitting
Solution
Dec 5, 2019

I see. So I should wipe the SSD to get rid of any partitions so that it's the same size as the HDD? Or is there a way of doing a clone that doesn't include the free space?
Thanks.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
can do a full backup and do a restore after a clean install on the SSD.

But otherwise a clone is by perfect definition a full on clone.

Clone might be better.

me personally, I would just backup important files to cloud leaving all the stuff that can easily be redownloaded and installed again alone, then just doing a clean install on the SSD and reinstalling stuff.

But if you have games, a lot of them could have very different save file locations that you would have to track down.

so you should just probably wipe the ssd clean, then do the clone.
fairly simple.

and free space shouldn't matter since that would just be free space either way no matte what on your storage.

I've personally been running on a dual drive setup for a long time now for the specific reason of not having to bother with cloning and whatnot since the only thing on the SSD for me is just the OS and main applications and all long term files and games go onto my HDD with only short term stuff that I'm messing with in the moment being on the SSD.

So that in the event that the SSD starts to fail, or I get to a point where I feel like I just need to hit the reset button and start fresh with a clean install of Windows, everything important is already on a different drive and in the cloud.

Reactions: Logsplitting
Dec 5, 2019
can do a full backup and do a restore after a clean install on the SSD.

But otherwise a clone is by perfect definition a full on clone.

Clone might be better.

me personally, I would just backup important files to cloud leaving all the stuff that can easily be redownloaded and installed again alone, then just doing a clean install on the SSD and reinstalling stuff.

But if you have games, a lot of them could have very different save file locations that you would have to track down.

so you should just probably wipe the ssd clean, then do the clone.
fairly simple.

and free space shouldn't matter since that would just be free space either way no matte what on your storage.

I've personally been running on a dual drive setup for a long time now for the specific reason of not having to bother with cloning and whatnot since the only thing on the SSD for me is just the OS and main applications and all long term files and games go onto my HDD with only short term stuff that I'm messing with in the moment being on the SSD.

So that in the event that the SSD starts to fail, or I get to a point where I feel like I just need to hit the reset button and start fresh with a clean install of Windows, everything important is already on a different drive and in the cloud.
Got it working I downloaded some seperate software that allows for OS migration. My issue was I can't really do a fresh install of windows because I originally got this key from a job that I no longer work at. Appreciate the help and wow this is like a new machine. Wish I would have bought an SSD a while ago!

you really just needed to reduce the size of the HDD partition initially.
the HDD probably had just a few more sectors (albeit free) than the SSD.
but glad it worked out anyway.

I just got a new SSD and am wanting to boot my OS off of it. I downloaded EaseUS Todo Backup but when I try to do a system clone I get a message reading, "Not enough unallocated space on the target disk. To make sure the boot ability of target disk, please delete partitions on there first." My SSD and the old hard drive that I am trying to clone are both 1 TB but the hard drive has 426 GB free. It contains mostly games/applications. I made 900 GB of storage on the SSD Unallocated, but I still get the same message. Pretty confused and would appreciate any help.