[SOLVED] Not getting optimal FPS when playing CS:GO

J3nga

Prominent
Jul 1, 2019
For a while now I've wondered why I'm not getting my desired FPS when playing my favourite game, CS:GO. The PC System which I built 2 years ago have been upgraded numerous times in order to boost my overall graphic experience.

When I first built the PC, my GPU was a GTX 970, a i7 9700K CPU, 16GB of 3200MHz RAM, and a 250GB 2.5" SSD. I thought at first this would be plenty to get me 300-400 average FPS for CS:GO, as it not a demanding game. But at the same time, having this much FPS in a Computer Game is not something you would need for other games such as LoL, Rocket League, CoD, etc.. To my surprise, CS:GO ran at 200-250 FPS, which truly shocked me. I started tinkering with the OC, having studied the BIOS and watching a few guides. I managed to OC my CPU to 5.0GHz while also boosting my RAM, but it seemed in vain as my FPS barely increased..
CS:GO is one of the frotier First Person Shooter games in Esports, and having it's optimal FPS is everything when playing at the highest level.

At the time I'm writing this thread, I've upgraded my CPU from Core i7 9700K (OC) > I9 9900K (OC), I've replaced my old 3.5" HDD's with newer ones, Bought another 500GB M.2 SSD to use for my Windows and primary games such as CSGO, so the only thing that remains from my old PC Build (Old PC from 2013) is my PSU, which I sincerely feel is the least I would expect to slow my PC down..
However, I'm not an expert within PC Components, which is why I'm asking you guys for the answers.

In terms of what I've on my PC to boost the overall FPS, I've checked out several guides to get as much FPS possible and as little cache and loads in the background.
I'm using Empty Standby List, CPU Priority, Process Lasso, Malwarebytes Premium.

My latest PC Reset was only 2-3 weeks ago where I factory resetted my entire PC.

PC Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K (OC'd to 5.0GHZ)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53 Liquid CPU Cooler
MBD: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz
GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Tri FroZr
SSD1: Kingston KC2000 500GB M.2 NVME
SSD2: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5"
HDD1: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB 3.5"
HDD2: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2TB 3.5"
PSU: XFX Proseries XXX Edition 850W
Case: Corsair Crystal 460X RGB ATX Midi Tower Case

Solution
Try turning off your adaptive sync that locks your fps to your monitors refresh rate if your gpu can push the frames as high as your refresh rate. However you may notice screen tearing if you do with the higher fps. Also you have low latency mode on ultra, this limits the number of frames your cpu can prepare for your gpu. Try adjusting that for higher fps. I cant find preferred refresh rate on your settings, is it set to highest available?

J3nga

Prominent
Jul 1, 2019
Turn off process lasso and Malwarebytes and see if it improve. What kind of monitor refresh rate and resolution? What kind of 3d settings in Nvidia control panel?
Tried with both off, didn't improve the FPS. I only recently started using Malwarebytes and Process lasso because of the FPS tutorial, so I know what my performance was before I installed them.

As for my monitor, I use 240Hz refresh rate, and I use 1920x1080 (Native) resolution, this also applies in CS:GO.

Here are my Nvidia 3D Settings (In Norwegian, sadly): View: https://imgur.com/a/MdRZpBj

Try turning off your adaptive sync that locks your fps to your monitors refresh rate if your gpu can push the frames as high as your refresh rate. However you may notice screen tearing if you do with the higher fps. Also you have low latency mode on ultra, this limits the number of frames your cpu can prepare for your gpu. Try adjusting that for higher fps. I cant find preferred refresh rate on your settings, is it set to highest available?

Solution

J3nga

Prominent
Jul 1, 2019
Alright I think I figured it out. I didn't realize before that the "Adaptive" Vsync Mode literally limited your FPS to your monitor's refreshrate, thought it only reduced overall FPS to make gameplay as smooth as possible (Obviously that's what it does), but I never knew why it would lock at a lower FPS for me.

After turning Vsync completely off, I noticed that my CS:GO FPS went from the locked 240FPS all the way up to 600-1000 FPS, so I added a command in my Autoexec CFG for CS:GO which limited the FPS to maximum 400. After that it seems really smooth and well. I also switched the Low Latency Mode from "Ultra" to "On" instead. I believe I had that on "Off" some time ago when I actually had Vsync Off, but then I really noticed the screen tearing, but now it feels much smoother.
However, at this point I've only tested a benchmark map and a few aim practice maps both offline and online on CS:GO, I've yet to play any Matchmaking games to see the overall experience. I will later do it later today and give you another feedback on the performance.

Thank you so much for your help man, and thank your for responding to this thread :)

-J3nga