Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Specs:
Z170A Gaming M7 Motherboard with most recent update
Intel I7-6700K CPU.
G.Skill F4-3600C18-16GVK -DDR4 RAM
ST4000DM004-2CV104 -4TB HDD
Intel SSDPEKNW010T9 -M.2 NVME SSD in slot M.2_2
Freshly installed windows 10 on the above drive.
Nvidia GTX 1080
RM750 -PSU.
NZXT Kraken X63 280mm -AIO CPU cooler.

Hey guys I got some new RAM today and after I installed it I noticed I was only running around the low 2000's. I instantly hit the forums and started poking around and I see that a lot of people are having this problem with my specific MOBO and CPU. But regardless I wanted to reach out and see if anyone would be willing to have enough patience to help me troubleshoot this issue. I am fairly tech savy and my daily occupation is as a Programmer but im sadly uneducated in the RAM department.

The first part of my issue was I went to enable XMP on my BIOS and it gave the error that the overclock settings failed or something along those lines and then prompts me to 1. Try change the setting in BIOS or 2. Load back to default settings and continue. So then I went back to the forums and tried to troubleshoot it further with minimal luck. So I found a lot of people were setting their RAM xmp profiles manually and im not 100% confident in setting my own times, so went to my BIOS setting and changed the OC settings from "auto detect" to "3066 @ 1.30v" and enabled XMP and it worked just fine. I even tried to set it to 3100, I believe was the next level it gave me, and it failed on that one.

So in conclusion can someone help me get my RAM to 3200mhz 😓 I am currently using the 3066mhz profile and im completely comfortable with that but I would like to my moneys worth out of these.

Solution
It's perfectly safe and in spec for DDR 4 to operate at 1.35v, especially above 2666. What happens if you up it to that value or does Xmp change voltage itself to 1.35v and still fails?

Can try manually input timings. In Bios, select Xmp preset, go to dram configuration menu and see what Xmp sets primary timings to in main timings column and do the same for manual. Can trial loosening timings a bit to see what happens, upping tCL tRCD tRP one or two value higher. Command rate to 2T is usually for four sticks of ram but you can try set it to that too to see what happens.

See how you go. If 3200 still fails, and you have a good cpu cooler, look at guides how to overclock your 6700k to improve memory controller stability.

Is Bios on the...

anthony5508

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
index.php

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It's perfectly safe and in spec for DDR 4 to operate at 1.35v, especially above 2666. What happens if you up it to that value or does Xmp change voltage itself to 1.35v and still fails?

Can try manually input timings. In Bios, select Xmp preset, go to dram configuration menu and see what Xmp sets primary timings to in main timings column and do the same for manual. Can trial loosening timings a bit to see what happens, upping tCL tRCD tRP one or two value higher. Command rate to 2T is usually for four sticks of ram but you can try set it to that too to see what happens.

See how you go. If 3200 still fails, and you have a good cpu cooler, look at guides how to overclock your 6700k to improve memory controller stability.

Is Bios on the latest version? There can be memory compatibility and improvements to be had here as well.

Solution