Not sure if liquid cooling unit is working. High CPU usage.

Alex Spinosa

Honorable
May 18, 2013
I'm trying to figure out if the new system I've built is working in order. The water pump mounted to the cpu is actually missing a screw but it looks like it's giving it even power with the other 3 screwed in. The Glacer 240L was a pain to install I couldn't get the stands off so I had to mount it to the motherboard while I had someone else hold the radiator and using to much force broke a part off the backplate. Although, my games seem to be working fine. Rainbow Six gets 50-60 fps at 1440p Ultra Settings, even more fps in Fallout 4 Ultra, but sometimes I get like 100% CPU usage in games like H1Z1 and when I turn settings up in that game my frames drop to 10-20. In all my games my temperature is around 50-75 degrees celsius though, so does that mean it is cooling my CPU? Also I checked in the fans section in HWMonitor and there's only 4 fans that are in my case but I guess a watercooler doesn't count as that. Idk if my system would detect it in a device manager like program. What could be the source to the frames dropping in H1Z1 other than its an unoptimized game, my specs are very good I should have no problem running it?

Having a broken screw mounting for your heatsink is definitely not ideal. You really shouldn't be running your system with an improperly mounted heatsink. What processor are you running? Is is overclocked? What GPU do you have? If you are running AMD FX 75C is way too high, should never exceed 70, and really I've only had mine close at 60 during Prime 95 Blend test (and highly overclocked), never while running a game which is not nearly as stressful to the CPU. Intel processors 75C with water cooling while just gaming is also way too high. I would suspect that your heat sink isn't doing as good as it should either do to the the broken mount or possible with the trouble you had mounting the thermal paste may not be applied properly.

As for you second question if you are hitting 100% CPU usage then you are bottlenecking your GPU which is why you are having frame drop. Bottlenecking really has nothing to do with you cooling and more to do with poorly optimized games overloading your primary core. However @75C you are also going experiencing thermal throttling, depending on your processor extreme thermal throttling.

I would get your heat sink mounting fixed and reapply your thermal paste. After fixing if the only game your having trouble with is H1Z1 as it is an online MMORPG it is more than likely a latency problem or poorly coded game, or both. You really shouldn't run your system until you get that mounting fixed, if you don't you are risking killing your processor.

Alex Spinosa

Honorable
May 18, 2013

These are my specs, but you are definitely right about that I've heard it wasn't good for the system. For the i7 6700k the temperature seemed to be normal. H1Z1 has had problems in the past, but on an 800$ AMD system it feels like it runs almost identical to what im getting. I've experienced no other problems thus far.

With water cooling and only gaming your temps really shouldn't be getting as high as 75C. You may also want to check up on Skylake processors and aftermarket heatsink issues. From what I have read you can count yourself lucky that you didn't crush your processor. If you have a broken heatsink mount you may also want to check your motherboard for cracks as that is another reported issue with Skylake.

No matter what you have to get that mounting fixed before doing anything else. After that you should ensure you can use that aftermarket water cooler with Skylake.

Alex Spinosa

Honorable
May 18, 2013

Alrighty, I'll figure out a way to fix that I suppose. Nothing seemed to be cracked but I'm definitely going to check again. From what I've experienced the mounting screws don't come off so it's extra hard to install the cooler but for lga 1150 motherboards it says I shouldn't need to take them off I can just line up the back plate when I put it through the motherboard the only thing is it's a pain to get them in the right spot to go through so it was really hard screwing it in and applying thermal paste. If this doesn't work out I may just look at another cooler because I've had nothing but problems installing this one.

Latest posts