Question Not sure why my pc keeps doing what its doing, Please help :(

AverageJulius

Commendable
May 4, 2022
So I have had this PC maybe around 5 years, after the first year of me having it. It was showing signs of PSU failure, I replaced the PSU and it fixed my issues for about 8 months. Then it started to do the same thing again. I replaced the PSU again, and it fixed for about 6 more months. And then it FAILED again. I replaced it to what i have now. and i am now sitting here with the same issues happening as all of the other times. What is does is it will randomly slow down (really low fps barley can move my mouse), then freeze (somtimes will insta freeze and not even slow down), then the screens will go black but the pc will stay one and fans are running everything. but it will not come back on or work unless i restart the PC. It does do it idle, and it mainly does it when on a game. On a game, it will randomly shoot to like 10 fps for 10 seconds, then freeze (but i can somtimes still here audio like discord ect while its froze.) then it will go black screen and do as before. SOMTIMES it just goes black screen then restarts the pc. Im completly lost on what to do to even attempt to fix this. I have checked for overheating, it was fine, i checked all cables, Tested all outlets in my house (unless its a random spike that Im not catching when checking the outlets) moved to different outlets. upgrades software, downgraded, completely reset my pc, updated bios. Ive done almost all I can and im lost. Please help.

(note it will sometimes let me play and be on the pc for 6 hours and no issues then randomly start doing it, and somtimes it will do it as soon as i boot the pc and idle for a few minutes.)

PC
GPU: RTX 2060
CPU: AMD ryzen 5 1600 AF
Corsair vengeance 32gb (2x16) ddr4
AsRock B450 Pro4
CURRENT PSU: RM 650x WATT GOLD

first psu was a crappy 550 watt, 2nd was a rmx 650 watt gold from corsair, 3rd was the same thing. the one that is failing rn.

!! I had a previous post on this topic as well, and i replaced the PSU since then, and it fixed. and now its back to the same issue. !!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
The common denominator is your wall outlet...apart from the fact that maybe your purchase of the crappy PSU is what ruined the innards to your build.

BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time? Did you try reinstalling your GPU drivers? Use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(intel, AMD and Nvidia) in Safe Mode, then manually reinstall with the latest driver sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

G.SKILL Ripjaws V series 16GB
Link to your ram kit? Which slots are the rams populating on the motherboard?

AverageJulius

Commendable
May 4, 2022
The common denominator is your wall outlet...apart from the fact that maybe your purchase of the crappy PSU is what ruined the innards to your build.

BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time? Did you try reinstalling your GPU drivers? Use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(intel, AMD and Nvidia) in Safe Mode, then manually reinstall with the latest driver sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

G.SKILL Ripjaws V series 16GB
Link to your ram kit? Which slots are the rams populating on the motherboard?
Hey! Yes I had updated the bios back a year ago when it did this, and recently as well, I also completly forgot to update my pc spec list, maybe 5 months ago i got new ram and installed it, 1 is in the 2nd slot and 2 is in the 4th slot, i didnt have any issues when replacing those at the time, and didnt have any issues after installing.

I have Deleted my drivers and reinstalled them from the website. but i didn't uninstall using DDU, not sure what that is.

my new ram.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsai...PKPARFxFcRhkeStjGPBoCzocQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
First off, at least on the RMx series, they have a good warranty if you kept the receipt.

Are you monitoring the temperatures?

With a 1st gen Ryzen you may want to consider turning your RAM speed down to something like 24xx and see if stability returns. If it is stable turn the speed up incrementally until the unexpected crash occurs and go back one step.

Are you checking Event Viewer or Reliability History?

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

AverageJulius

Commendable
May 4, 2022
First off, at least on the RMx series, they have a good warranty if you kept the receipt.

Are you monitoring the temperatures?

With a 1st gen Ryzen you may want to consider turning your RAM speed down to something like 24xx and see if stability returns. If it is stable turn the speed up incrementally until the unexpected crash occurs and go back one step.

Are you checking Event Viewer or Reliability History?
Hi! I can test on the ram, but i would assume that's not so much the issue, i will still test it tho!

i do monitor my temperatures yes!

I do check reliability history but not event viewer, im not to techy so im not to sure what im looking for.
reliability history shows a bunch of "Windows stopped working and Hardware error"

The common denominator is your wall outlet...apart from the fact that maybe your purchase of the crappy PSU
That's right where I would look as well. If like you said every time you go down and your fix was to change out power supply and all was good again for a while . Yeah I would be concerned about the quality of power coming out of the wall socket.

Or at least make sure the socket itself is not cracked and arcing. I have had to replace a few over the years.

Get someone qualified to check it if this could be your underlining issue.

AverageJulius

Commendable
May 4, 2022
That's right where I would look as well. If like you said every time you go down and your fix was to change out power supply and all was good again for a while . Yeah I would be concerned about the quality of power coming out of the wall socket.

Or at least make sure the socket itself is not cracked and arcing. I have had to replace a few over the years.

Get someone qualified to check it if this could be your underlining issue.
i always assumed that it was the quality of my power. but the weird thing is, ive got it checked before. I will definitely get it checked out again.

So I have had this PC maybe around 5 years, after the first year of me having it. It was showing signs of PSU failure, I replaced the PSU and it fixed my issues for about 8 months. Then it started to do the same thing again. I replaced the PSU again, and it fixed for about 6 more months. And then it FAILED again. I replaced it to what i have now. and i am now sitting here with the same issues happening as all of the other times. What is does is it will randomly slow down (really low fps barley can move my mouse), then freeze (somtimes will insta freeze and not even slow down), then the screens will go black but the pc will stay one and fans are running everything. but it will not come back on or work unless i restart the PC. It does do it idle, and it mainly does it when on a game. On a game, it will randomly shoot to like 10 fps for 10 seconds, then freeze (but i can somtimes still here audio like discord ect while its froze.) then it will go black screen and do as before. SOMTIMES it just goes black screen then restarts the pc. Im completly lost on what to do to even attempt to fix this. I have checked for overheating, it was fine, i checked all cables, Tested all outlets in my house (unless its a random spike that Im not catching when checking the outlets) moved to different outlets. upgrades software, downgraded, completely reset my pc, updated bios. Ive done almost all I can and im lost. Please help.

(note it will sometimes let me play and be on the pc for 6 hours and no issues then randomly start doing it, and somtimes it will do it as soon as i boot the pc and idle for a few minutes.)

PC
GPU: RTX 2060
CPU: AMD ryzen 5 1600 AF
Corsair vengeance 32gb (2x16) ddr4
AsRock B450 Pro4
CURRENT PSU: RM 650x WATT GOLD

first psu was a crappy 550 watt, 2nd was a rmx 650 watt gold from corsair, 3rd was the same thing. the one that is failing rn.

!! I had a previous post on this topic as well, and i replaced the PSU since then, and it fixed. and now its back to the same issue. !!
ryzen 5 1600 af etc was always a bit of a nut case cpu ive seen posts of its voltage controller misbehaving. what bios version are you running ( becareful going to high in the bios can cause instability as newer bios do not support 1000 series as the boards only have a 16mb to save microcode

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Although I can agree that wonky power could be your problem, so many of your symptoms look like CPU overheating. You say you do monitor your temperatures and they are OK. Bear in mind that your symptoms of failure almost always happen in gaming when the workload on the system is very high. So temperatures WHEN IN THE MIDDLE OF GAMING are the only ones that are relevant. So HOW are you monitoring temps? You really cannot do that in BIOS Setup. You need something that runs in Windows so you can switch to it instantly during heavy workload sessions and get a rapid read.

The CD of drivers etc. that came with your mobo should have something on it called the ASRock Motherboard Utility, and that tool will include screens to look at temperatures. It is an app you install and run under Windows in real time. It MAY have been installed already and you just need to find it and start it up. If it is not installed, you can probably install from that disk. OR you can download it from the web page for your mobo. Use that to check temps while gaming, especially if your system suddenly slows down.