Question Numerous BSOD throughout my workday

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 23, 2021
Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully assist!

I counted I think 5 crashes just within an hour this morning and after that I stopped counting. 3 of those crashes happened without a blue screen - Screens just went black and rebooted. This is on my work build and it's been having BSOD issues for quite some time now. Probably 15+ crashes/8 hour day and it's likely raising my blood pressure, so I decided to hop on here and hope someone can find the answer.

The crashes happen completely randomly. I could be on chrome, in photoshop, in a game, even doing nothing at all not even moving the mouse.

Here is my build:
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/EPTzVQ7mnApaH6yrGb3pTuC
I normally have 2x16GB of RAM but I am currently only using 1x hoping to see an improvement which I've not seen.

Here is what I've tried so far (not in chronological order):
Reinstalled Windows
Made sure all Windows Updates are installed
Installed latest BIOS
Installed latest chipset from manufacture site
Physically went through every item on Device Manager and hit "Update Driver/Search Automatically"
Reseated everything
Installed new PSU (Microsoft Forums guy suggested this)
Tried a different GPU
Tried both sticks of RAM, tried only 1, swapped them around, tried different slots with both and only 1
Ran Windows Memory Diagnostics (found nothing)
Ran the sfc /scannow command as admin
Ran check disk
Ran DDU for GPU drivers and installed latest
Disabled Bluetooth drivers (to see if it was the culprit)
Disabled Audio drivers incase they were conflicting
Uninstalled Logitech software
I didn't have Malware Bytes until recently and don't use anything other than Windows Defender, so it's not an Antivirus
... I want to say I've done more but I can't think of what they were, it's been so long since I've been trying to figure this out now.

If anyone would like to try their hand at this, I'd be infinitely appreciative. Just let me know how I can assist and I'd be more than happy to do so. Thanks.

** Update before I even post this - As I'm currently looking at the Device Manager after I typed all this, it's got the yellow flag on the Processor and those were never present until now.

Feb 23, 2021
my codes are CMW32GX4M2Z3200C16
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ.../Vengeance-PRO-RGB-Black/p/CMW32GX4M2Z3200C16

main difference is latency, yours are 15-15-15-36
whereas mine are a lazy 18-18-18-43

So yeah, that could be enough. Your ram too fast.

running in odd slots is just odd.

That's what I thought. I've been trying different things. I noticed in my bios it was showing 2133mhz (I think?) for dram and something like 1.19v and I noticed on the specs sheet for my ram it should be more like 1.35v, so initially I manually set the dram to 3200 and set the voltage to 1.35 and it was fine for a bit, then bsod. Then I looked at using one of the XMP profiles and saw its default was those same settings, but figured the profile would do further tweaking to hit any other crucial settings necessary to run stable. It's only been about 30 minutes since the last change, but so far so good.

Feb 23, 2021
My lesson should be to not assume the ram is the same as mine just cause it has same name, we may have reached this conclusion 3 pages ago.

Haha yeah maybe! It's okay... I never even bothered to look at my rams model # til today.

If anything, I find it odd that pcpartpicker would say it was compatible but the specific model # not even be on the mobo QVL. And the one website that does show it as compatible?? Talk about conflicting information. I was about to say it's running stable so far, but then another bsod.

Can I dial the timings back to what you listed yours are or would that just immediately crash again? I don't know much about the inner workings of memory.

Colif

Win 11 Master
is your ram on here for either board - https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ.../Cor_Products_Memory?type=findbycompatibility

those are the timings I am on, 16/18/18/36
C1zNi6W.jpg

Feb 23, 2021
is your ram on here for either board - https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ.../Cor_Products_Memory?type=findbycompatibility

those are the timings I am on, 16/18/18/36
C1zNi6W.jpg

Nope, neither board 😔 there's a 1 letter difference from mine and the one model # that's on both board compatibility lists.... so that's probably what's causing these crashes all this time? 🤦🤦

EDIT I just read that my model (CMW32GX4M2C3200C16) is intended for Intel platforms and the one for AMD is CMW32GX4M2Z3200C16, difference being the C and Z after "..M2.."

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
i know if its not on Motherboard Makers website but is on Corsair its got a good chance of working, but if its not on either its a lottery. It might or it might not.

You probably need to buy new ram, I don't think Corsair would rma it and return the right ram, they might let you return it and swap for right ram without RMA if you have proof of purchase. I don't know, you would think they are similar prices. You would need to ask them. I know they have forums but like here, its mostly users who reply so might need to contact support - https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/contact

Feb 23, 2021
i know if its not on Motherboard Makers website but is on Corsair its got a good chance of working, but if its not on either its a lottery. It might or it might not.

You probably need to buy new ram, I don't think Corsair would rma it and return the right ram, they might let you return it and swap for right ram without RMA if you have proof of purchase. I don't know, you would think they are similar prices. You would need to ask them. I know they have forums but like here, its mostly users who reply so might need to contact support - https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/contact

I edited my last reply after you replied. I think the edited part is my problem... after ALL. THIS. TIME. I need to go to my quiet place 🤣

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, at least I don't have to blame a Seasonic PSU for the problem. One day I will. Not today

I remember seeing the 2 different (Intel & AMD) ram choices when I got mine. I wish I had got white dimms but thats besides point. Original plan was white case, now I know I should have avoided all one colour. I need a torch to see inside my case :)

Considering we tested everything many times, we know ram works, its just its timings trip over something. It happens on 2 motherboards, so we were running out of possible choices.

Wonder what ram 2nd tech used, since he got crashes too.

Feb 23, 2021
well, at least I don't have to blame a Seasonic PSU for the problem. One day I will. Not today

I remember seeing the 2 different (Intel & AMD) ram choices when I got mine. I wish I had got white dimms but thats besides point. Original plan was white case, now I know I should have avoided all one colour. I need a torch to see inside my case :)

Considering we tested everything many times, we know ram works, its just its timings trip over something. It happens on 2 motherboards, so we were running out of possible choices.

Wonder what ram 2nd tech used, since he got crashes too.

That's what I'm saying, I have the Intel version in an AMD system, I think that's the problem. The ram works just fine, but just not in my AMD system... I'd think that'd cause instability/crashes? Both mobos were AMD as well, and same ram tried in both. No idea what ram the first tech used, but I'm beginning to doubt he even knew to make sure it was specific for AMD.. I didn't even know that was a thing for ram.

The 2nd tech never tested anything yet. I only spoke to him over the phone twice.

Colif

Win 11 Master
its almost 7am, I am not exactly awake, so I meant 1st tech when I said 2nd above.

I am not 100% sure what the differences are in the two rams, I would need to look at it to see if there is any significant difference. Its possible there is AMD ram what has same timings as yours. But you already looked at Corsair so I expect it would have shown. Was anything there on the 2 boards with same latency or were they all slower?

I don't know enough about XMP to know if the memory timings it runs when you set the sticks to XMP are created directly off the ram or if the mb itself has the settings created for that speed. So when your MB goes to 16/18/18/36 I think its the MB that decides what speed X ram runs at, and maybe since your ram isn't those timings natively it goes all wrong.

But I should be asleep as I could be talking garbage right now :)