Apr 1, 2020
Hello, I have recently bought a 2070 super and I am trying to use it to record when I play. I have watched a few videos for settings to use for nvenc in OBS. Whenever I use these settings, my recording is very choppy and has many dropped frames but the quality is fine. The thing is whenever I use the GeForce overlay to record it comes out smooth as you would expect, but I do not want to record using this method. Is there any suggested settings I should use to get a smooth recording for 720p or even 1080p in OBS?

Solution
Start a recording and open up task manager,go to the details tab sort by CPU use and find nvcontainer.exe right click and go to set priority,put it on at least high and even better real-time.
This setting disappears every time you stop the recording so you have to use a third party tool like process hacker to save the setting so it will always be used even without the tool running.

Do not try the same thing with x264(or generally CPU encoding) recording since those use up a lot of CPU power and will probably make your system freeze up.
Start a recording and open up task manager,go to the details tab sort by CPU use and find nvcontainer.exe right click and go to set priority,put it on at least high and even better real-time.
This setting disappears every time you stop the recording so you have to use a third party tool like process hacker to save the setting so it will always be used even without the tool running.

Do not try the same thing with x264(or generally CPU encoding) recording since those use up a lot of CPU power and will probably make your system freeze up.

Solution