Nvidia 3D Vision Surround: Is This The Future Of Gaming?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Why does everyone hate on 3D so much? It's the next logical step in the evolution of graphics and monitors. Imagine you could DODGE something coming out of the screen? Imagine you could REALLY peer around a corner in a 1st person/3rd person shooter. Outside of cost, which will obviously get lower every year, I don't get why there is so much resistance to 3D at all, particularly in gaming. The new possibilities are already becoming obvious and the gaming industry hasn't had ANY time to explore what can be done with 3D. And all these complaints about wearing glasses... it's soooo minor and will probably become unnecessary in no time if people start showing support and new tech can be developed.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
It will only be the FUTURE of gaming once we have 'bezel-less' monitors that you can put together. Seriously, I would be leery of looking at one screen and in the 'bezel' space a monster is shooting the hell out of me.

G

i dunno. i used to think that same thing about the bezels but after setting up a 3 24in asus 3D LCDs i can tell you once you get into the game those bezels disappear. You really don't even notice them. Also there is NO comparison when you hear someone say well ill just get a 60in tv. i only have a 46in but the feeling of immersion and being surrounded by the game is way higher with a 3 monitor setup at 5760 x 1080 then it is on a single tv regardless of the size. But that's just my opinion from seeing it from both sides, take it or leave it :)

G

Here is a far out idea, get a projector and a concave screen for it. That's right, concave projection screen will do the exact same thing only bigger, better, and without bezel.

G

Here is a far out idea, get a projector and a concave screen for it. That's right, concave projection screen will do the exact same thing only bigger, better, and without bezel.

G

@C_S and Will

the kind of setup you describe is called a cave environment, where by an array of projectors encompass the user/s, the kind of muscle needed to run such a setup is ridiculous, an unexpected bonus was that users experience alot less motion sickness then traditional head mounted immersive environments

sathen07

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
I do not think 3D is a gimmick or a Fad. It has been around for years and people are still wow'd by it. I have the 3D setup with 1 monitor, and in some games it's amazing and breath taking, and others do not work or can confuse you because of how objects can be rendered.

For me, even though i love the 3D experience, i do not think that computer gaming is where it belongs. I think it's going to take off on Console gaming where you control your game with a controller, instead of a mouse and keyboard. 3D movies work so well because you are looking at a scene where the entire scene was meant to be seen in 3D. With a computer game you have a mouse which will appear to be locked at a certain depth in space, but you have to select objects far away in space. You also have to deal with 2D panels over your 3D world, and constantly switch back and fourth between them. That has been my biggest deterrent from playing in 3D, it just gets stressful. I do really enjoy watching 3D movies on it. If you had computer games that worked well with a controller i could see it being much better, but computer games are not designed to play intuitively in 3D space yet, at least not in my own opinion.

G

Oh come on guys.

Yes it's expensive right now, but give it a a few more generations and CPU's and GPU's will have so much excess power i'm sure a single high end card will be able to do this.

And monitors are getting cheaper everyday. I'm sure 120hz will be the standard soon, and will be as cheap as current 60hz monitors.

I'm sure 5 years ago HD gaming on PC was expensive. Now a budget computer can pull it off.

No go play on your PS3.

G

Stereoscopic 3D gaming is finally on the virge of being the 'next big thing'. What Nvidia and ATI need to do is converge on a HDMI connector that can drive all the new shutter/polarized glasses 3D TV's that are on the market today and give Sony and their PS3 a run for our money.

Those of us who remember paying $700 for 15" CRT monitors won't balk at the costs. While the video card makers are trying to lock people into single source solutions, the video (TV/Blueray, exc.) are making real gains in 3D space.

Watch a HD 3D movie with 5.1 streamed over the internet with a PS3 and Samsung TV? I can do this today.

It don't have to cost multiple $1000 to be real.

geobecool

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Just bought 3 x benq xl2420 displays and GTX 680 FTW 4GB for my sabertooth x58 mobo with 24 GB Ram... tried BF3 and Darksiders II games in 3D surround .. it's amazing! if you have the money just do it .. it's AWSOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.